BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
GT4560
Rep
Drives: X3 1st Gen (456)

Wipers wacky

The wipers are wacky. The intermittent feature that is... It doesn't respond immediately.
Takes 5 to 10mins to kick in and then it's questionable. I'm going to switch out the relay today. I've been letting this go for about a year and a half. At first I thought it was a matter of recalibration but once the feature worked slightly in a rain storm.
The standard feature works fine. Anyone here with good notions or similar experiences?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
Conv_George
Registered
Rep
Drives: 01 330Ci Vert, 05 X3 3.0

First question is do you have rain sensing wipers? Clue will be sensor behind the rear view mirror, also visible through the front of the windshield.

If you do, are you trying to activate the wipers when it isn't raining? The dial just adjusts the sensitivity, so if there is no water in front of the sensor, they won't activate. Now, if you have the rain sensing wipers, the windshield is wet and they still aren't working, or seem to work randomly (I was in the same position when I bought my X3) then more than likely the sensor is shot on the windshield. My solution was to change the coding on my car to not have automatic wipers, and the intermittent wipers work like normal, the dial adjusts the delay. I've heard conflicting reports on whether you can just replace the sensor, the glue pad, or you have to change the whole windshield.

Lastly, if you don't have automatic wipers, I would probably guess the switch itself may be going wonky, and will need replacement.
Appreciate 0