BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
davebrossi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to be on yet another car based forum, this is normally where (other than AllData) and I come to learn and understand my illness that is 'being a car bloke.'

Many years as an hobbyist mechanic (read; I'm not great, but that doesn't stop my enthusiasm) with the last few years being exclusively Porsche based. New Job, and a runabout/project that didn't involve rust saw me buying my first e83. A bit about 'Amaryllis.' It's tired, had six owners, and just rolled over to 177k plus change. I've had two E46s before, both M54 powered, one 2.5, one 3.0

This is not a new car, I know that. Unlike Porsche, however, you aren't selling organs wholesale for maintenance. I blame M539 restorations.

Current concerns (I'll be reading up on them) oil leaks in the motor (this should be a given, undetermined nature) rear diff is liberally coated with dif fluid. Little bit more scary, never gone after a diff before. While the motor is always a concern, my initial plan of attack is ensuring front and rear diffs as well as transfer case are in 'not buggered' shape. I'll be googling liberally since I imagine people have tackled all three, but, as always, tips other than 'google' are welcome. I'm also working on building my own diagnostics 'rig' with the right software and OBDII cable. Thanks much!
Appreciate 0