BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

New Owner, some general questions

Hi All,

I'm a long time BMW owner, and just picked up a new to me 2009 E83 with just under 70k miles for a winter / utility car. It's space gray over oyster leather. A bit of an odd option package w/ adaptive headlights and premium package, but no heated seats/ wheel.

The first couple hundred miles have been great. It looks like I'll need to replace the valve cover gasket, but all the other normal N52 maintenance items seem to be good (including a new waterpump +T-stat 4,000 miles ago). It also looks like it might be overfilled with oil. The first couple of times i checked the measurement it said "OK" but about half way through my 250 mile trip home, it showed the overfilled measurement. I assume I have to drain from the drain plug underneath. Any way to figure out how much to take out without fully draining and refilling?

I plan on the following updates:
1. Tow Hitch - question, should I go OEM or is a stealth hitch, draw-tite or similar a better way to go?

2. Android Auto + Back up Camera - I am thinking I'll go with the Andream version, as I had good luck installing a CIC version in my 135. I saw the other thread on this topic, but if anyone has feedback on best / easiest installs please share your recommendations
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...35033140527267

2a. My car has the DSP 'enhanced' audio + bluetooth but no NAV. I was surprised to see it has bluetooth, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. Any idea if that will effect the Android Auto unit i install?

3. Wheels/Snow Tires: My car came with Style 279 17" wheels. I've searched for compatible sizes, but don't fully understand what other BMW wheels are cross compatible. I am also not sure if the 2009 car has TPMS sensors or if it uses the wheel speed sensors like the original tire monitoring BMW cars did. Can someone please help me understand if I can go with a set of e90, e46 or e53 rims as alternates for snow tires?

Thanks for any support. I'm looking forward to being part of this community as well.

-Josh
Appreciate 0