BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2022, 04:20 AM   #1
gupie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d 2008

Question Orange check engine lights on for brake and 4x4 drive - X3 e83 2008

Hi! thanks for coming to have a read. i need some help

First, it started with the triad of red check engine lights that came on: 4x4 drive, ABS, and brake light. Under the hood, I find a busted alternator that has been failing to charge the battery leading to low power issues. She has also been without power for a few months because of this.

I have since replaced the battery (brand new), alternator (OEM, wreckers and tested. charging the battery), and transfer case motor (OEM, wreckers and can hear it working under the car upon starting and turning her off). i have also changed the transfer case fluid and brake fluid. i have not been able to recalibrate the transfer case as well.

I still get a yellow light for both the 4x4 and brake (with emergency brake released) but no more ABS light.

I have checked the front two wheel sensors and they are undamaged with no rust but can’t access the back wheel sensors. I checked this after seeing some people having this as another problem from the triad of lights. Also tried locking the wheel left and right and driving to ‘recalibrate’ steering system that didnt work.

I've been reading around and it looks like a need a real BMW diagnostic tool to really know what's going on with her. Does this mean I should try ISTA-P or ISTA-D? Which connector do I have to buy? I heard ISTA-P is for the BMW e-models. My main computer is a mac but i can also use windows if i have to.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
Linlor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3

Morning;

Sounds to me like you have the very common transfer case actuator failed. It is a little motor that drives a worm gear to engage or disengage the all wheel drive on the car. There is a metal worm gear mating to a plastic gear and over time, the plastic gear gets chewed up by the metal worm gear so the all wheel drive no longer gets engaged.

If you are mechanically handy, you can replace the plastic gear for about 2-3 hours of labour and about $15 or you can buy a new actuator and do teh 2-3 hours worth of labour.

i just replaced mine a couple weeks ago and not hard to do.

Do a search on the net for x3 all wheel drive failure and you get a boat load of hits and vids to show you how to replace it.
Appreciate 0