BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
XavierFR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

BMW x3 gearbox issue?

Hi there,

First of all, please excuse my inaccurate English. It's a technical subject and unfortunately I don't know all the exact terms. Do not hesitate to ask me to go deeper if a term is not understandable.

Proud owner of a 2004 BMW x3, I am literally in love with this machine.
That said, I'm having a problem that I've been trying to fix since I bought it, via the pages on this forum, among other things.

Let me explain the case in detail:
When buying, I couldn't get into 4th gear (I knew it, the price was right). The car would immediately switch to limp mode. I had the transmission oil changed and leveled. It had an effect. In this case, I can get into 4th (if I go high enough in the 2500-3000 rpm and stop accelerating for a few seconds). However, if there is acceleration capability in 4th gear, it is very weak. As if I had no power. Also, if it holds 4th flat or downhill, uphill and in 4th, I gradually lose speed, impossible to accelerate, if I do the rpm get carried away and the car goes into Limp mode. However I have no problem shifting back to 3rd, in which case the power returns and the car runs normally.
I also noticed that the 4th does not always pass. When I start from my house, I have no problem switching it on and even holding it (with no real acceleration btw, it just dont switch to limp mode). But I usually can't sustain it on a return trip. As if the fact of having driven and probably heated was a problem..

The turbo works and engages correctly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
I have no strange smell in the cabin. On the other hand, with the passenger compartment closed and the air conditioning on, the air becomes unbreathable (no smell though).
There was a leak on the first visit to the garage (who upgraded etc.), and was repaired.
No (firing?) candles were detected on the first visit to the garage. They have all been replaced with new ones.
The battery was changed for a new one.

In short, I'm seriously starting to tell myself that it is indeed the transmission that is cooked (at the level of the 4th at a minimum).
But it still seems strange to me to have absolutely no problem before wanting to pass the 4th. I also tried, while the car was maintaining 4th downhill calmly, to pass 5th. It seemed to me that it was passing, however no acceleration (really nothing) and when I wanted to go back to 4th gear, I had to accelerate to 2000 rpm for it to engage. A clue? Maybe.

However, I am not an expert and you will easily understand that I try everything I can before coming to change the said box.

Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me

Last edited by XavierFR; 10-18-2022 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #2
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

When posting questions, please include the specific model (2.5i, 3.0d, etc) in case there is any model related information.

It does sound like a transmission issue. I believe the transmission in your car is the GM 5L40E/5L50E (A5S360R/A5S390R) family. (I think it's the 5L50E in the X3 but I am not certain.) I'd suggest either taking it to a transmission shop for diagnosis or repair. Alternately, a rebuild manual might have diagnostic steps that will lead to a solution. For example, https://www.amazon.com/ATSG-5L40E-4L.../dp/B012GWGT54
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #3
XavierFR
Registered
Rep

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

I apologize for not specifying the model. It is indeed a 3.0d.
That said, I had hoped that it was not that, insofar as we do not have, in France, the means to do this kind of work ourselves (to my knowledge at least) and that the mechanics are extremely reticent (not to say that they automatically refuse) to inspect automatic gearboxes. The answer is invariably "have the box replaced at the manufacturer". Which charges the maximum, when he agrees to change the box. For example, BMW Cherbourg, the closest to me, simply refuses.

Given all this, I believe that having done the oil change, I went as far as I could in the work on the box itself. I will still try to convince the only mechanic who wanted to put his hands in it.

To your knowledge, does this manual include tracks not directly involving the transmission but which could have an impact on it? For example, I understand (but again I am not an expert) that the "ecological sensor" could, if it is dirty, disturb the operation of the transmission.
I could always take said manual and provide it to the mechanic, it may encourage him to do something. One never know.

Thank you again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

That certainly makes things more difficult. In the US we have shops that specialize transmission work.

The specific problem you're describing is "slipping" in fourth gear. This is usually due to some fault of a transmission component that prevents the internal clutches from operating correctly. In other words, they slip. A diagnostic procedure should help identify the potential causes.

If you suspect other issues, it would be smart to buy or borrow a BMW specific code reader. The one I own is the foxwell technology NT530. I like this one because you can load the software for many makes like VW, Mercedes, in addition to BMW. Basically your initial purchase comes with 1 or 2 software packages and you can add more makes later.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 01:58 AM   #5
XavierFR
Registered
Rep

Thank you very much for this precious help. I will get this diagnostic tool as soon as possible and see what happens.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0