BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
lacunaserenity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X3

Exclamation Dash Electrical Issues

Hello! New to the forums, although I've been using them for about a year to look up resolutions to some previous problems.

I have a few issues I hope you guys can help me figure out before spending hundreds of dollars for just a diagnostic.

I have a 2009 year. I believe I have a leak somewhere that is causing a short but cannot figure out from where. It happens when it rains more than a sprinkle, or when it snows and it melts. Essentially my dash cluster goes out and lasts a few days until, I'm guessing, the water evaporates and dries out.

I do have a BMW specific OBD scanner but doesn't fully work when this is happening.

These are the things that happen simultaneously and returns to normal after it dries out:

--Dash cluster backlight goes out. (Mostly.. the dimmer switch does nothing and is very dim IF it does come on after a minute or so)
--The TPMS & Seatbelt lights come on.
--OBD port scanning only detects like 7 areas/categories instead of like 21 or so. The missing categories are nowhere to be found and cannot be scanned.
--Steering wheel controls die. (Volume, etc)
--Turn signal indicators stop functioning (although the blinkers still work like normal on the outside)
--Gear shifter indicator light goes out (the little orange light for P R D N)

When it doesn't rain or snow then none of these above issues happen. It all returns to normal and stays that way until it rains again, hence why I believe its a short somewhere.

My battery compartment is dry with no water anywhere inside the vehicle. The battery is also brand new, just installed a couple months ago.

(I have one other issue with the steering angle sensor causing the yellow Brake light and 4x4 light to be illuminated, but I can use the scanner to reset the steering calibration which makes them go away anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 days, then both come back. This may be unrelated and just the sensor is bad or something.)

Any insight or suggestions would be most helpful! I really appreciate it!

EDIT: From what I can tell it may be that my FRM is going bad. If so the rain/snow could be a huge coincidence but I'm not sure.

Last edited by lacunaserenity; 08-03-2022 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
lacunaserenity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X3

Re-up!
Appreciate 0