BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
framesliderz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 3.0i (E83)

Contributing my solve for P0015/2A87 on 2008 E83 X3 3.0i N52

Wanted to share my experience with the community on how I have solved this common issue (at least for now). 2008 BMW X3 E83 3.0i N52. 221,000 km. So I ended up getting the OBDII code P0015 and BMW specific code 2A87 (exhaust camshaft over-retarded). Much research across the interwebs resulted in this distilled list of steps that made that code go away. What I've edited out are the trial and error steps to get to final resolution meaning this took a lot longer than what it would appear so hang in there if you attempt this. It's DIY and since I didn't fire the parts canon at this I'm not out of pocket (except the oil change but I needed that anyway). Here goes:
1-changed engine oil and filter by going to the stealership and getting the oem stuff (about $120 CAD). Didn't want this to be a variable.
2-pulled both exhaust and intake vanos solenoids out. Performed the 9V battery test on them to ensure I could see the solenoid plunging action happening. Gave them a good douching of brake clean. Dried them thoroughly and put them back in the engine block but swapped the positions (ie intake is now exhaust and exhaust is now intake). 10mm retaining bolt, watch for the o-rings and make sure you keep the wire connectors going to the correct solenoid
3-pulled both exhaust and intake camshaft sensors (inverted E8 torx socket). I noted that the intake sensor, aside from having some oil on it was fairly clean. The exhaust sensor, however, had a thin film of metallic wear particles. I'd say that's normal wear and tear but considering the sensor is 'hall effect' ie magnetic-based, getting rid of the metallic skin arguably helped. Same as vanos solenoids, I swapped intake to exhaust and exhaust to intake
4-here's the interesting part....after making sure no oil leaks popped up from the swapping of devices I would still throw the 2A87 code but less frequently ie every other day vs getting it the same day after code was cleared using Bluecat or generic BT ELM327 and Torque Pro. Also keep in mind it's summer so ambient temp is high 20s low 30s and 60%+ humidity. Drum roll....
5-a little more research and I performed the accelerator pedal reset. Turned the ignition to position 2 where the dash Christmas lights come on (ie key on engine off), stepped on the gas pedal right to the floor and timed the hold down for 30 seconds. When time elapsed I cranked over the engine until it started. BTW I did not turn the key off after the 30 seconds - just started the engine straight away. Let it idle for half a minute and then turned the engine off. Started it again and let it run a minute and then off.
What do ya know....I've been driving now for several days and no codes while in the same environmental conditions.
Hey, it's a BMW and it's long in the tooth but I give 'er the TLC it needs while crossing fingers. Still runs like a champ. Hope this helps like this community has helped me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 05:06 AM   #2
Desh0923
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw N52, N46,M57,N57

Hey man having the same issue here,I just wanted to know how the vehicle was driving before you did the reset
I have the same code and no low end torque at all
Appreciate 0