BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #1
Rocky-S
Rep
Drives: X3

Wet passenger footwell?

Had some real heavy rain last night,unlocked the car this morning & the passenger footwell is wet?
Anybody else had this issue & can point me in the direction of any areas to start looking first?
It appears to be coming in between the bottom of the door and then coming in over the plastic trim at the footwell?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

Your vapor barrier or inner door liner needs a new butyl rubber seal most likely.
I found this video helpful:

A lot of people like to say it's the sunroof, with clogged drain holes. That is a very easy test. If you pour water in the front corners of the sunroof (while it's open), into the little drain holes, it'll come out just behind your front wheels. If it doesn't, then they are clogged.
However, I don't know how to clear those holes.. I've tried with several things and ended up cutting myself going in from the top, not getting anywhere from the bottom.. only to find out there was no clog anyway. duh.

Also could be door seals.. could be that door latch needs to pull the door in tighter. The little bars that keep your door closed... they're adjustable. Mine was a little 'off' on my passenger door.

Also, people replace window regulators.. and so the rubber gets weak. Front and rear passenger side doors needed to be replaced on mine. I'll do the driver side one day. Since I made the fix this spring, I've had no leaks at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Belginique
Rep
Drives: 2007 e83 30SD

Agreed, definitely look at the vapour barrier inside the doorcard. It was the case for mine and an easy fix. It is the most likely problem.

Door card removal has several youtube guides. They are useful, as you need to unbolt some hidden screws, unhook some cables and use force on some clips which you do not want to break. I only had silicone available, so if I need to access inside thedoor again, I will have to cut the silicone bead.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

Helpful hint use a heat gun to reactivate the “dumb dumb” or “strip caulk” and then just firmly press around the vapor barrier to the door. I use this method a lot doing e46 window regulators it works excellent!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 05:16 AM   #5
bimmerman14
bmw doctor
Rep
Drives: x7(kid hauler) 13 x550i 07328i

Very common occurrence on these vehicles , happened on mine 3 times in last 2 years last two times was comming from ports in roof. Also had vapor barriers done
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
tomwalken
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M Sport 3.0

Footwells on both sides of my 2007 X3 get wet after rain, depending on which way the X3 is leaning. A water hosing revealed that water was drained through the A pillar airbag cover, the bottom seam seam that is just level with the dashboard plastic. the plastic tube routing the sunroof water toward the bottom of the car came loose. YOu have to be careful gaining access to the tube, so I had an interior shop do it for me so the bag wouldn't blow up in my face.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
riccume
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

+1 for vapour barrier (I think the spare is called "Sound Insulating"). Last year, I bought a second-hand 2005 X3 and both footwells were getting wet with rain. The vapour barrier was the issue on both sides. I bought some butyl tape and re-seated the membrane, all good now.
Appreciate 0