BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
tinyminds
Rep
Drives: '08 E83

E83 In-Cabin Bike Fork Mount

Traded my '06 E90 in on an '08 E83 about a month ago because I needed more room. New to the forum but have been browsing around for months as I was looking into making the transition. I installed a hitch which I will use most of the time but I wanted the ability to put bikes inside the cabin for races/rides that are farther away and room wasn't a concern.

This was what I came up with, fairly simple and clean, turn knobs to adjust or remove if needed. I also inserted teflon pads where the crossbar meets the built in rails for smoother sliding and to avoid metal to metal scratches/damage over time.

Pics below:

-Jason
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
kaiserboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3si

Great idea!! I like the set-up....looks very clean. I have an 07 E83 and race bikes allot here in California. Are you able to pull the bikes out with no problem; meaning is there enough clearance to where you do not need to tilt your bike to one side or the other. Nice bikes by the way
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
tinyminds
Rep
Drives: '08 E83

Unfortunately I do have to remove the seat stem off my bike ( Size 56 ), but my wifes bike ( Size 52 ) fits in without removing the seat stem by tilting it to clear the rear opening. With the seat stem out my bike rolls right in without tilting. Fortunately 80% of my training and group rides I ride to from my house. This was mainly designed for highway driving with the bikes. With two bikes on a hitch mount I loose about 3-4mpg, with 4 bike on a hitch mount I loose 6-8mpg.

4 Bike Rack (The 2 Bike Rack on the Subi is the same rack I use when I just need to take two bikes ):

-Jason
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Chagrined
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3/X3/XI

Kudos on putting together your own mounting system. I suppose you've seen this, but maybe others haven't - it does a great job of keeping the dirt from the rear wheel off the carpet and stability through big turns, especially if you transport a mountain-bike:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
CarCzar128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010128iconvertible

I've also got the dealer interior bike mount for my 2006 X3. That one also includes tie down straps that will keep the bikes in place in an accident, including roll overs. That home made job looks impressive, but I would also bungee or strap the bikes to the floor.

The interior bike mount is one of the coolest features of the car, that is not possible in the new generation X3. There is a lot to be said for keeping bikes locked inside. At least the thieves will have to work harder.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Stucas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Rack source

Hey - looks like a great solution! I am wondering where you purchased or made the cross rail. I've contacted a few metal producers recommended through the forum but wondering if you got yours already properly sized!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:13 AM   #7
ronyboy
Banned
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA

The xbimmers have one of the most powerful machines. I am more so a bike person. With all the great gadgets available adding to the power you jsut cant ignore it. The helmet with jacket and protective gears will do just great for me.
Appreciate 0