BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
ExclusiveAuto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

N54 Vs. N20 Turbo Flapper question

Please limit responses to people who actually have firsthand knowledge of this repair.

I have a 2013 BMW x3 28i with a N20 (4cyl turbo). It is plagued with flapper shaft wear as most of the n54 cars have experienced. The only difference I see between the n54 setup and the n20 is that the n54 is 3cyl and the n20 setup is 4cyl. I dont know if they are the same size turbo, but my main question is if the turbo lab, (or other brand), flapper repair for a n54 will fit the diameter of the n20. I have called turbo lab, but they have zero experience with n20 and will not tell me if the flapper repair kit for the n54 will fit N20. I kind of dont want to waste time and experiment if someone already knows that it will not work.

I have a spare turbo/manifold unit that I bought to swap in for this particular car, so I do have the ability to measure anything that would give me information/insight into if the n54 repair kit would fit, if anyone knows the dimensions.

BTW, my turbo failed before 60K miles on this car... I think its ridiculous...

Thank you!
-Jon
Appreciate 0