BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #23
jeffreyinigo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the crazy g01 owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyinigo View Post
Heres what it looks like. Works fine. Looks great. Ill post more later. Just wanted you all to see how it looked. Wireless carplay is fast also. No lag. Sounds the same as stock.
Does the oem usb still work? Also is their any negatives compared to the 6.5 screen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the crazy g01 owner View Post
Quote:
Heres what it looks like. Works fine. Looks great. Ill post more later. Just wanted you all to see how it looked. Wireless carplay is fast also. No lag. Sounds the same as stock.
Does the oem usb still work? Also is their any negatives compared to the 6.5 screen?

Yup still works. One thing i dont like is the original menu cuts off and doesnt stretch out to the whole screen. Difficult to explain so as soon as i get home ill post a picture. Other than that i dont see anything wrong with it at all. The installation is scary as hell. Taking off the trim pieces is scary and feels like its going to break. There are tons of wires that come with the kit and its difficult to maneuver to put the unit back in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Yup still works. One thing i dont like is the original menu cuts off and doesnt stretch out to the whole screen. Difficult to explain so as soon as i get home ill post a picture. Other than that i dont see anything wrong with it at all. The installation is scary as hell. Taking off the trim pieces is scary and feels like its going to break. There are tons of wires that come with the kit and its difficult to maneuver to put the unit back in.
I figured the original menu screen would be cut off. Since only two tiles show on the 6.5 screen. Thanks for the update tho👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #25
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd296 View Post
Thanks for the pics - the retrofit looks great. It's nice to hear from someone that did it themselves that it's straightforward. I was also curious whether you swap it back to stock for service, so thanks for addressing that as well.

Did your X3 have a CD player in its original configuration? Mine does not, and I'm wondering if it will be necessary to swap a new radio control unit, as well (I imagine the answer is "yes"). If your X3 didn't have a cd player, was the radio control unit part of the Bimmertech package?
No, mine doesn't have CD player. The headunit from Bimmertech however, does have it, but you'll need to find a new faceplate as to that is not included. I don't mind having CD Player. I stream music. For videos I use YouTube on my jailbroken iPhone.

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #26
jorgeclgi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Hey Jeff, I would like to know what's your experience after a few months have already passed with the retrofit. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Has anyone done the 6.5 to 10.25" display retrofit from ebay parts?

Is there a guide on what needs to be purchased (display, HU, i drive controller) and what coding steps needs to be completed?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #28
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRuben09 View Post
Don't be cheap on your car. I did a full retrofit using Bimmertech. Yes, is $3,000 but you can't go wrong about it. I did the whole retrofit myself and I'm completely satisfied. Only BMW OEM parts were used, and if you were going to buy each part individually you will spend more money. You can purchase the parts on eBay, but the trickiest part will be to pair the unit to your car's VIN. You can get scare with the install process, but everything is so easy to remove and reinstall.

The whole kit is plug and play, and they do all the programming. I have full nav capabilities, apps, Apple car play, and BMW Connected. I've been using it for almost a year now, trouble free. Since I have brought the car in for service, so I put everything back to stock. So yes, is fully reversible in case you need to take your car for service. In my case I do it to avoid any issues with them in case they install an update.
Looks great! Can you share with us what parts actually need to be installed? Its the 10.25" display, the head unit, and the I drive controller? Any wiring or steering wheel buttons?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #29
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRuben09 View Post
Don't be cheap on your car. I did a full retrofit using Bimmertech. Yes, is $3,000 but you can't go wrong about it. I did the whole retrofit myself and I'm completely satisfied. Only BMW OEM parts were used, and if you were going to buy each part individually you will spend more money. You can purchase the parts on eBay, but the trickiest part will be to pair the unit to your car's VIN. You can get scare with the install process, but everything is so easy to remove and reinstall.

The whole kit is plug and play, and they do all the programming. I have full nav capabilities, apps, Apple car play, and BMW Connected. I've been using it for almost a year now, trouble free. Since I have brought the car in for service, so I put everything back to stock. So yes, is fully reversible in case you need to take your car for service. In my case I do it to avoid any issues with them in case they install an update.
Looks great! Can you share with us what parts actually need to be installed? Its the 10.25" display, the head unit, and the I drive controller? Any wiring or steering wheel buttons?
Just the NBT EVO headunit, 10.25 inch display, touch controller, and a data cable that needs to be connected by repining a connector at the passenger footwell module. Nothing else. It sounds easy, (and it was) but the tricky part is the coding that needs to be done in order for the retrofit to work. The headunit already came tied to my vin number, and it was 90% ready when I installed. I then coordinated a coding session with Bimmertech so they could finish up a few coding details with the system already installed. But it worked right out of the box and it was plug and play.

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #30
Tunatown15
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

Thanks for the pics CRuben09! I am debating whether to do this on my 2018 X3 with the Bimmertech Android Auto MMI Prime setup. How hard was it to pry the trim pieces off to get to everything?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #31
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunatown15 View Post
Thanks for the pics CRuben09! I am debating whether to do this on my 2018 X3 with the Bimmertech Android Auto MMI Prime setup. How hard was it to pry the trim pieces off to get to everything?
Its incredibly easy to pop the AC panel trim piece off. Slip your trim tool between the vinyl and the hard surface. firmly pull back, the panel will release and then there are a few harnesses to remove. From there you have access to the 2 torx bolts that hold the head unit in, as well as the display bolts.

I have a10.25 brand new display for sale. $300 shipped. I was going down this path but bought an X5 instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #32
James B
Rep
Drives: 3 BMW’s & 2 Porsches

Garage List
Hi Jeff,
Are you still liking the 4x4 CarPlay retrofit? I’m looking at getting one.
Jim
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 05:03 PM   #33
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

You can retrofit an 8.8" OEM screen perfectly, including touch:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=29879603
Appreciate 0