BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Innovation or Happy Accident? - Cargo Hatch Sensor

I've seen a couple threads involving the cargo hatch opening without kicking under the rear bumper to trip the sensor & activate the hands free cargo door, but not like this...

Walking back to my "SAV" with a cart full of groceries, I went around to the rear, and was about to kick my leg under the bumper to trip the sensor & open the hatch, when it just (seemingly) spontaneously opened on its own. Did it sense the key, then see the cart, and just open??

Conditions were pretty dark, with outdoor lamps lighting the parking lot, and the asphalt was wet, with light rain falling at the time.

So was it possibly something with a reflection on the wet pavement that tripped the sensor, or did it actually see the cart and just open?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
ckbingge
Private
China
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i M Sport

Don't forget record a video next time
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Definitely not the cart. Didn't you press the button on the key accidentally?
      12-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Definitely not the cart. Didn't you press the button on the key accidentally?
The key was in a very loose pocket so there's no chance it was pressed by accident and my hands were pushing the shopping cart. The cart, nor my foot, were anywhere near the underside of the rear bumper. I am willing to attempt to replicate it with the cart, but I have a feeling that it had more to do with the conditions--wet & shiny asphalt, after sundown, with outdoor overhead lighting.

Probably makes more sense being a bug with the sensor, as I've also had issues reversing on wet asphalt, and having the reverse assist jam the brakes when there's no obstacle in sight. Last week it jammed so hard I thought I had actually had a collision!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Those two doesn't work together. So might have actually two problems, although emergency braking without any visible obstacles were reported. Resolved by turning the feature off. Kick to open sensor was in some cases replaced (or some parts of it). You can also asked the dealer to reprogram the fob, to be able to open the hatch only when the car is unlocked.
      12-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Juris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X-3 M40i Alpine White 2019

Good advice to have it coded so it won't accidently open while the car is locked. But my car is never locked in my garage and mine opens when I sweep my garage floor near the rear of my car and wash my rear window.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris View Post
Good advice to have it coded so it won't accidently open while the car is locked. But my car is never locked in my garage and mine opens when I sweep my garage floor near the rear of my car and wash my rear window.
Agreed. Definitely something worth having done. In my 2016 X3 it took me a month to figure out how to do the kick just right to open the hatch & it never once opened "accidentally" via the sensor. This was the first time it's happened to me in the 2020, but regardless it's still a great idea to have the fob coded to avoid those accidental button presses.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335idrive View Post
The key was in a very loose pocket so there's no chance it was pressed by accident and my hands were pushing the shopping cart.
Do you have other keys on the FOB? I find my single key folds just the right way and (many times) presses the trunk release.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
Do you have other keys on the FOB? I find my single key folds just the right way and (many times) presses the trunk release.
I do and I have hit the panic button by mistake while squatting down, cleaning off my wheels once or twice, but last night they were in the side pocket of a winter coat--very loose. Def no pressure on it. I'm pretty sure it must've been something with the wet reflective asphalt that tripped the sensor. Maybe a shadow even. I'll do some tests the next time it rains. It does sound ridiculous, but my first thought was, "wow, it saw my cart and just opened?" haha
Appreciate 0