BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #23
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonEaDo View Post
They "fixed" the ugly fake exhaust on refreshed SQ5 - they are apparently still fake, but they look 100% better

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/07/...q5-spy-photos/
They actually look similar to the GLC43 now. Actual round tips, but not physically connected to the exhaust.
In GLC43 is the actual exhaust is right behind the round tips, in default SQ5 I am assuming the real exhaust points down just behind the tips.

But here is the kicker - apparently there will be a performance exhaust package on SQ5, which will provide actual connected exhaust with tailpipes. I'll believe it when I see it, but thats the talk in the Audi forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #24
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

The X3 is just way more fun to drive. Transmission is very good. Engine is awesome. And it sounds fantastic.

I needed a slightly bigger car and the M40i sort of does it all.

X3M is what really takes the crown but I'd rather have that kind of horsepower in a smaller car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #25
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau_340i View Post
The X3 is just way more fun to drive. Transmission is very good. Engine is awesome. And it sounds fantastic.

I needed a slightly bigger car and the M40i sort of does it all.

X3M is what really takes the crown but I'd rather have that kind of horsepower in a smaller car.
How come nobody speaks of Merc AMG GLC63 S? Seems like the Straight Pipe guys really seem to like it's handling compared to X3M and there is no lack of power.

ok ok this is just a Q5 vs X3 thread... but still, it's always good to compare all the competitions, which is pretty good these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #26
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
How come nobody speaks of Merc AMG GLC63 S? Seems like the Straight Pipe guys really seem to like it's handling compared to X3M and there is no lack of power.

ok ok this is just a Q5 vs X3 thread... but still, it's always good to compare all the competitions, which is pretty good these days.
The correct comparison is with GLC43, which I think looks great especially with the 2020 grill. And based on some reviews, it is supposed to feel a slightly more "exciting" to drive compared to X3 M40i. My understanding is that it is because of the possibly more agressive gear shifts when starting. In fact, couple of months ago, I was fairly certain that was going to be my next vehicle.

But when I go to the GLC43 (and 63) forum, I keep seeing people complaining about crabbing even with 20 inch all season tires, weird rattles, choppy ride, jerks just before coming to a stop, high tire wear because of factory alignment and so on. When I see the posts in this forum, I don't see those kind of issues even though this forum has way more posts.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #27
You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
The correct comparison is with GLC43, which I think looks great especially with the 2020 grill. And based on some reviews, it is supposed to feel a slightly more "exciting" to drive compared to X3 M40i. My understanding is that it is because of the possibly more agressive gear shifts when starting. In fact, couple of months ago, I was fairly certain that was going to be my next vehicle.

But when I go to the GLC43 (and 63) forum, I keep seeing people complaining about crabbing even with 20 inch all season tires, weird rattles, choppy ride, jerks just before coming to a stop, high tire wear because of factory alignment and so on. When I see the posts in this forum, I don't see those kind of issues even though this forum has way more posts.
I'm shopping around for a new car in the mid-sized sporty SUV category. I owned a 2018 M40i (wish I didn't sell it) and test drove a 2020 M40i, X5 M50i, X3M, Macan S, Macan Turbo, and today drove a AMG GLC63 today (no 'S' available in US on non-coupe version I was told).

The Mercedes dealer was the worst for test drive experience, hopefully it was just this one dealer. The test drive was short, with a salesman, and on a bad choice of roads.

My first impression wasn't favorable, I won't be going back for another drive of that car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #28
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I'm shopping around for a new car in the mid-sized sporty SUV category. I owned a 2018 M40i (wish I didn't sell it) and test drove a 2020 M40i, X5 M50i, X3M, Macan S, Macan Turbo, and today drove a AMG GLC63 today (no 'S' available in US on non-coupe version I was told).

The Mercedes dealer was the worst for test drive experience, hopefully it was just this one dealer. The test drive was short, with a salesman, and on a bad choice of roads.

My first impression wasn't favorable, I won't be going back for another drive of that car.
Did you find the X3M to have a much more stiffer ride than X3 M40i?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #29
You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
Did you find the X3M to have a much more stiffer ride than X3 M40i?
Yes, the ride of the X3MC is stiffer.

I drove two new X3MC's and a used one with ~5k miles on it. The suspension of the used one felt like it softened up a bit, but was still stiffer than the M40i.

Hitting bumps in the road with the X3MC there is a bigger 'thud'. All three X3MC's and my old M40i were on 21" rims (M40i on run flat tires too).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #30
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Refresh audi disappointing, same old interior
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #31
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Yes, the ride of the X3MC is stiffer.

I drove two new X3MC's and a used one with ~5k miles on it. The suspension of the used one felt like it softened up a bit, but was still stiffer than the M40i.

Hitting bumps in the road with the X3MC there is a bigger 'thud'. All three X3MC's and my old M40i were on 21" rims (M40i on run flat tires too).
I never drove a M40i, and am fine with my X3MC ride, but that "thud" you speak of is super annoying.

I think that increases the perception of the harsh ride quality. Wish they addressed it.

Also many people report the suspension gets softer after a few thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #32
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

After reading your post I googled "crabbing issue" and I am surprised how many hits come up almost all related to Mercedes vehicles. Not a pleasant sound for your vehicle to make.
Appreciate 0