BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Changing the xenon bulb?

I tried to find informaation how to change the bulb. I found an old thread but it wasn't too informative. The conversation was more about why do it and what color the Light is.

Well, my bulbs are original and 7 years old, 80 000 miles on them. As I live in a place which is really dark during winter time, I would need more Light. I bought already two Philips D1S bulbs which are claimed to be 150% brighter. I know it is bs, but new Lights should be at at least a little brighter.

There is a video on Philips site how to replace the bulbs and it seems easy. However, when I have opened the cap and I try to pull out the bulb, the bulb simply does not move. I tried to check if there are any pins or something to undo first, but I could not see any. Also in the other thread someone mentioned that the bulbs need to be just pulled out. But no one confirmed it.

Can anyone enlighten me how can I pull out the bulb? Something to consider?

Thanks.

P. S. sorry about the typos... Small screen..

Last edited by Rodion; 11-10-2018 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

To give you a better idea with the assembly off the car:

And on the X3:

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50
      11-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Yes, the Philips video I already saw. And the other one is from different car. The problem I have is that the bulb is not coming off like in either of thise videos. If I pull out the bulb, it does not move at all and is stuck to the light assembly.

So my question is still, has anyone here done this to F25 and how did it go?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
rockit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 N55

You twist the dust cover off the back of the headlight then twist counterclockwise the bulb like 1/4 turn and it comes right out then pull the connector straight off , pretty simple
      11-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
It may take more effort to twist it than you think it should, the gasket gets stuck to the plastic housing over years of heat cycles and moisture.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

The quarter turn after 7 years takes a bit of effort but it is really the way. I did it about 3 months ago and had to force it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Ah, ok, so you have to twist it? I thought only halogen bulbs were designed to be changed with twist.

I will try then twisting. I will get back to you if I break something

I tried to use local express service, but even though I was the first Customer in the morning, there already was a queu infront of me and I was not able to wait.

I refuse to book a service time for bulb change.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I just did it myself and it was pretty straightforward. If I recall correctly, it was less than a quarter turn (maybe about 30 degrees) and the direction was mirrored between left and right bulbs. Getting the bulb ring properly aligned with the engagement mechanism was a bit fiddly with one of the bulbs but I eventually got it on after a few tries. Felt like cheap metal scraping on metal when loosening or tightening the bulb...not the smooth, precise click I was expecting.
Appreciate 0