BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
viewdata_revolution
Rep
Drives: 2017 xDrive35i

Pointer: BMW choice of gear shift pattern?

I almost hate to ask this since I expect that it has been done over and over again on the forum. Still, a quick search didn't reveal anything.

Why did BMW, on the automatic used in the X3, decide to make reverse a push to the front of the shift lever, and drive a pull to the rear? On the 4Runner I had previously, drive was a forward push (you know, in the direction you want the car to go), and reverse a pull to the rear (the direction you go when you back up). This seemed most intuitive to me. I still have rare moments driving the X3 when I get things switched around. "Oh yeah, if I want to go forward pull the stick the opposite direction."

Not that it makes any difference, but I've wondered why BMW arranged things this way.

If this has been done to death, just send me a pointer to earlier threads.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

It's done this way because it makes more sense this way.

When you're driving, the thrust pushes your body against the seat, your natural motion is to pull the lever to raise gears.
The opposite when you're braking and want to reduce gears.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I feel like the question is about Drive vs. Reverse not rowing through the gears.

If it's for what I think it is, then I agree, I want to go forward for drive and back for reverse as well. Not sure why that isn't the setup.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
viewdata_revolution
Rep
Drives: 2017 xDrive35i

Yes, it makes more intuitive sense to me to push the auto shift lever the direction I want to go. Push it forward to go forward, pull it back to reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

...could it be the Germans are just used to having us push the lever forward when we engage reverse?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I feel like the question is about Drive vs. Reverse not rowing through the gears.

If it's for what I think it is, then I agree, I want to go forward for drive and back for reverse as well. Not sure why that isn't the setup.
In that case I'm more confused...
No cars go into drive by pushing the lever forward. Or in reverse pulling it back once you're in drive.

:
Appreciate 1
pokerface429.50
      11-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
No cars go into drive by pushing the lever forward. Or in reverse pulling it back once you're in drive.

:
LOL that might be true. In 30 years of car ownership this is only my 2nd automatic, the other one being an old Ford Ranger which had it as up or down on the steering column. As such I did keep occasionally trying for a few months to drive forward by pushing it forward. Like boats I guess, I don't do a lot of boating but maybe that's where it came from, the times I have.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

:
LOL that might be true. In 30 years of car ownership this is only my 2nd automatic, the other one being an old Ford Ranger which had it as up or down on the steering column. As such I did keep occasionally trying for a few months to drive forward by pushing it forward. Like boats I guess, I don't do a lot of boating but maybe that's where it came from, the times I have.
Same here, but even being my 2nd auto I can't not have a manual so the 135 is my go-to driver...
Lots of fun today with the fresh snow
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I always thought it was because it mimics the movement of the prototypical PRND pattern in most steering wheel and console-based shifters. P is on top, then next notch down is R, followed by N and then D (and D1, D2 if applicable). On steering wheel shifters, if memory serves it is the same sequence only left to right. Translating gear positions to a joystick with only 2 detents, it kinda makes sense when you take the P out of the equation by giving it its own button.
Appreciate 0