BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #1
Susyem7
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

X3 M40i full analog dash

Hello fellow x3ers. I just picked up my m40i on Thursday. I must say l love the car!!

One thing that I can't seem to figure out. I have the analog dash. It seems that there are 3 dash configurations.

1. All digital dash.

2. The hybrid analog / digital dash. The one with the raised plastic dials that turn digital in the middle.

3. The analog dash that kinda look like the all digital but doesn't change dial colours.

I have number 3. There is a small digital rectangle in the middle that shows fuel economy, drive mode etc. Is there any way to show a digital speed read out on this rectangle? I have see US cars that show MPH in the top left of the digital rectangle but I can't seem to get it to show on mine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
Chiddeh
Rep
Drives: ---

Hmm, not sure what you are referring to, but I thought the M40i only came with one type of dash. It should look like this:

The dials change somewhat depending on the drive mode (Comfort, Sport, Eco, or Adaptive if you got that option). Might help if you post a picture of your dash.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiddeh View Post
Hmm, not sure what you are referring to, but I thought the M40i only came with one type of dash. It should look like this:

[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/d8...3ba7028b7a.jpg[/IMG]

The dials change somewhat depending on the drive mode (Comfort, Sport, Eco, or Adaptive if you got that option). Might help if you post a picture of your dash.
US M40i should have 2 dashes. Full digital with Exec Pack and partial digital for non-Exec Pack. Other countries may have versions without Navigation and the dash OP described.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susyem7 View Post
Hello fellow x3ers. I just picked up my m40i on Thursday. I must say l love the car!!

One thing that I can't seem to figure out. I have the analog dash. It seems that there are 3 dash configurations.

1. All digital dash.

2. The hybrid analog / digital dash. The one with the raised plastic dials that turn digital in the middle.

3. The analog dash that kinda look like the all digital but doesn't change dial colours.

I have number 3. There is a small digital rectangle in the middle that shows fuel economy, drive mode etc. Is there any way to show a digital speed read out on this rectangle? I have see US cars that show MPH in the top left of the digital rectangle but I can't seem to get it to show on mine.

Pics please
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Susyem7
Rep

PICS -

Mine is the Analog as in this picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Mine is the Analog as in this picture.
We get the digital dash in the third picture as standard in the UK
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

1. All digital dash.

Have you tried Sport mode?, I don't have same dash but only way I can get the digital speedo on my digital dash is to put it in Sport mode

I think the US M40i have the middle dash option so again maybe different?

Congrats on the car, great choice
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Susyem7
Rep

More fun - analog dash with digital speed

This is what I'm trying to get working on mine. As you can see this pic has the same dash as me and has a small MPH digital read out. There's no way that it would only be on US dashes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Susyem7; 07-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: image missing
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
This is what I'm trying to get working on mine. As you can see this pic has the same dash as me and has a small MPH digital read out. There's no way that it would only be on US dashes.
That is a strange one

The last one you posted looks very slightly different to the first analogue picture you posted earlier, the OFF wording is in different positions

Maybe for a different region?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Nice steering wheel!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

One thing that I don't like about the full digital dash is that you can't have the trip/odometer displayed the same time as the fuel consumption gauge.

BMWs for decades have had both displayed at the same time and now you have to pick.

There's plenty of room to put the odometer where it says M40i. I don't need to be reminded of what car I got by the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Is it possible that that reading is the speed limit indicator? That is sort of in the same spot as the speeding limit indicator is on the fully digital dash.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
Susyem7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Is it possible that that reading is the speed limit indicator? That is sort of in the same spot as the speeding limit indicator is on the fully digital dash.

That's the thing. I can't seem to get the speed to readout digitally in that spot.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
One thing that I don't like about the full digital dash is that you can't have the trip/odometer displayed the same time as the fuel consumption gauge.

BMWs for decades have had both displayed at the same time and now you have to pick.

There's plenty of room to put the odometer where it says M40i. I don't need to be reminded of what car I got by the instrument cluster.
As an alternate, you can hit the display button in the lower left corner of the cockpit, and that will display your odometer/trip meter for 5-10sec, then flip back to whatever your display was showing before. So you don't have to cycle through all 4-5 display modes to get back to your original.

It is a little silly there's no way to customize the display, considering how much real estate is digital. (mine is the hybrid display, and even it has tons of extra room to display additional info).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:57 AM   #15
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

That's the thing. I can't seem to get the speed to readout digitally in that spot.
Are you saying you want to put the current speed limit, or your vehicles current speed there?
If you don't have the Option to show current speed limit, which requires kafas camera and nav, then you are out of luck.
If you want to show the current speed digitally, and can't find a way (by choosing sport mode, and perhaps configuring it in iDrive), it might be possible to program it as in the F30 and others to show up in the BoardComputer area. I haven't looked at that on G01, yet. Waiting for delivery...

/n
      07-24-2018, 12:58 AM   #16
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
X3 M40i full analog dash

if it's a speed limit indicator, you have to have the feature in order to function. AFAIK it's not standard. Part of Driving Assistant package I believe.
      07-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
Susyem7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
if it's a speed limit indicator, you have to have the feature in order to function. AFAIK it's not standard. Part of Driving Assistant package I believe.
No Speed limit - just digital current speed read out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Susyem7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Are you saying you want to put the current speed limit, or your vehicles current speed there?
If you don't have the Option to show current speed limit, which requires kafas camera and nav, then you are out of luck.
If you want to show the current speed digitally, and can't find a way (by choosing sport mode, and perhaps configuring it in iDrive), it might be possible to program it as in the F30 and others to show up in the BoardComputer area. I haven't looked at that on G01, yet. Waiting for delivery...

/n
Looking for current speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #19
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

Quote:
I believe that the digital speed read out you are referring to has to be coded to become active. My display is similar to the dash posted by Chiddeh in post #2 above. I understand that is the standard dash for North American M40s.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #20
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Is this a Canadian variant perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:47 AM   #21
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
maybe a photo from a dash that op has would be nice. also.. where does the picture with the digital speed come from?
      07-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #22
Susyem7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
maybe a photo from a dash that op has would be nice. also.. where does the picture with the digital speed come from?
Post # 5 the first photo is of my actual dash.
Appreciate 0