BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
crosis
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (x35i)

Question Cheap but Effective Diagnostic Tool?

What hardware / software combo would you recommend as the cheapest but most informative diagnostic kit to purchase?

I'm aware of OBDII and have a Veepak bluetooth adapter which connects with my Android Torque app but i'm guessing BMW X3's have additional information not picked up by this generic adapter.

I've skimmed over mentions of USB to Ethernet, BMW ENET, Ethernet to OBD, and Bavarian Diagnostic Tool but i have no clue if they actually give me more than my standard Veepak adapter with Torque.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what is cheapest yet effective tool at giving me vital info about my BMW X3 when something goes wrong beyond what one would normally get from an OBDII bluetooth adapter. I'm not a mechanic but as of late have had success repairing various issues with my other vehicles thanks to Service Manuals (Dodge and Nissan). If i could have a tool which helps me identify the exact issue with the vehicle and even give me the capability to run troubleshooting tests on various parts that would go a long way into resolving issues.

Thanks

Last edited by crosis; 07-23-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

You have to give up the bluetooth ability, but if you go onto Ebay and search for "ENET," you will get a list of the cable that is used to communicate to the F25. Along with the purchase of the cable some of them come with the necessary programming and diagnosis softwares. This all for only about $13 USD.
Once you have the cable, you can also use it for ITSA (bmw Integrated Technical Service Application). Just do a quick bing search on "how to install ISTA," and most of these links provides the software download locations and step by step pdf/word dox/ videos, to ensure that you get the softwares up and running quickly!
Appreciate 0