BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #45
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
369
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 21 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

I have an install scheduled this Wednesday 😃 I will report on my Thursday commute ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #46
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
400
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
I have an install scheduled this Wednesday 😃 I will report on my Thursday commute ride quality.
Where did you end up deciding for the install?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #47
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
369
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 21 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Where did you end up deciding for the install?
A local performance shop refered by a friend.
Appreciate 1
RoWoX3M400.00
      06-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #48
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
400
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Dinan springs and bump stops installed. Of course it started pouring rain after I pulled away. Will report back my experience with it once I have more seat time. Initial impressions are positive. Ride feels more composed and less choppy over imperfect roads.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
      06-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #49
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
369
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 21 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Almost forgot and hopefully RoWoX3M can back up my experience. I can't tell the difference in ride quality between stock and lowered on the Dinan springs w/bumpstops. I can feel the steering being more direct but that may be from the alignment because the stock numbers were off.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52540.50
      06-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #50
allinon72
Brigadier General
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
4727
Rep
3,742
Posts

Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (2)

Stance looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #51
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
369
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 21 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #52
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
400
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
Almost forgot and hopefully RoWoX3M can back up my experience. I can't tell the difference in ride quality between stock and lowered on the Dinan springs w/bumpstops. I can feel the steering being more direct but that may be from the alignment because the stock numbers were off.
Need more seat time but it's definitely not stiffer than stock despite being advertised as 20% stiffer springs. So far the ride feels more put together and composed of that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Stance looks great!
Thanks! May need to toss on the spacers again but I'll run like this for a bit
Appreciate 2
CSBM52540.50
      06-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #53
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
369
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 21 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Need more seat time but it's definitely not stiffer than stock despite being advertised as 20% stiffer springs. So far the ride feels more put together and composed of that makes sense.



Thanks! May need to toss on the spacers again but I'll run like this for a bit
I am on 12mm spacers but with the drop, 15mm would be better.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 03:54 AM   #54
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
Kevin_The_Clean1's Avatar
United_States
2499
Rep
3,316
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 MC
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Campbell, CA

iTrader: (10)

RoWoX3M - those spring lower the X3M more than I thought. Looks great though!
__________________
1998 E36 M3 - Totaled
2003 E39 M5 - Gone but not forgotten
2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Daily Driver
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #55
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
400
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
RoWoX3M - those spring lower the X3M more than I thought. Looks great though!
Thanks! Forgot to measure before to verify but Dinan says 1" drop F/R. Seems right eyeballing it in person
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #56
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
JKen_0115's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 2017_M2
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Any more to share for the ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #57
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
400
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Any more to share for the ride quality?
I must say that overall ride quality and handling has been positive. It hasn't softened the ride but it's eliminated the harshness for everyday driving. Also noticed it inspires more confidence in bends and turns. Touch less body roll. The only setback is after install I noticed some noise coming from the rear. Reported this to Dinan who is sending out coil isolators to be installed. These will now come standard with the kit.
Appreciate 3
JKen_0115174.50
CSBM52540.50
      06-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #58
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
Kevin_The_Clean1's Avatar
United_States
2499
Rep
3,316
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 MC
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Campbell, CA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
I must say that overall ride quality and handling has been positive. It hasn't softened the ride but it's eliminated the harshness for everyday driving. Also noticed it inspires more confidence in bends and turns. Touch less body roll. The only setback is after install I noticed some noise coming from the rear. Reported this to Dinan who is sending out coil insulators to be installed. These will now come standard with the kit.
This is excellent feedback.
__________________
1998 E36 M3 - Totaled
2003 E39 M5 - Gone but not forgotten
2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Daily Driver
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:26 PM   #59
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
JKen_0115's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 2017_M2
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Any more to share for the ride quality?
I must say that overall ride quality and handling has been positive. It hasn't softened the ride but it's eliminated the harshness for everyday driving. Also noticed it inspires more confidence in bends and turns. Touch less body roll. The only setback is after install I noticed some noise coming from the rear. Reported this to Dinan who is sending out coil insulators to be installed. These will now come standard with the kit.
Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #60
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
JKen_0115's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 2017_M2
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Do I have to order the spring set and bump stop both?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #61
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
Dinan_Engineering's Avatar
United_States
3843
Rep
3,111
Posts

Drives: Any BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Opelika, AL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Do I have to order the spring set and bump stop both?
You don't have to but it is highly recommended that you do to achieve intended ride quality. Re-using the stock bumpstops will result in a harsher experience
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:46 PM   #62
bmwmdistrict
Major
bmwmdistrict's Avatar
United_States
896
Rep
1,044
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Hi Dinan_Engineering - will these springs work with a 2019 X3 M40i? If not, any plans to support it?
__________________
Rob | instagram
2020 F97 X3 ///M Donington Grey
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #63
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
Dinan_Engineering's Avatar
United_States
3843
Rep
3,111
Posts

Drives: Any BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Opelika, AL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Hi Dinan_Engineering - will these springs work with a 2019 X3 M40i? If not, any plans to support it?
Without having them side by side and testing them I could not say. All I have to go off is that they are different OEM part numbers and as such appear to not be interchangeable. Historically, different chassis parts numbers are not phsycially interchangeable but there are a few instances where they are such as the F15/F85. Good chance the F97/G01 fall into that same category but that is just a guess on my part. Also please keep in mind physical fitment which is being discussed here is not the end all, be all, as that does not take into account differing spring rates, weight distribution which will affect rake/reverse rake, etc. A spring designed for an F85 as an example may be great for that platform but diabolical for the F15 given those differences.

As far as actually developing springs specific to the G01 -- there are no plans at present to develop any hard parts for the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #64
bmwmdistrict
Major
bmwmdistrict's Avatar
United_States
896
Rep
1,044
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Without having them side by side and testing them I could not say. All I have to go off is that they are different OEM part numbers and as such appear to not be interchangeable. Historically, different chassis parts numbers are not phsycially interchangeable but there are a few instances where they are such as the F15/F85. Good chance the F97/G01 fall into that same category but that is just a guess on my part. Also please keep in mind physical fitment which is being discussed here is not the end all, be all, as that does not take into account differing spring rates, weight distribution which will affect rake/reverse rake, etc. A spring designed for an F85 as an example may be great for that platform but diabolical for the F15 given those differences.

As far as actually developing springs specific to the G01 -- there are no plans at present to develop any hard parts for the chassis.
Thanks, I appreciate the insight and quick response.

Sounds like it'd be a gamble and I'd rather not find out the hard way that either the ride is way too harsh because it was meant for a different platform, or doesn't work at all.

Thanks.
__________________
Rob | instagram
2020 F97 X3 ///M Donington Grey
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #65
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
400
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Ok folks. After some back and forth with Dinan tech support and my local installer, finally have a quick and easy solution to the clinks and clanks from the suspension. Had rubber isolators installed yesterday which now allows me to enjoy this kit as intended. Dinan support was excellent and glad the issue is finally resolved.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 1
CSBM52540.50
      07-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #66
redcrxsi
Private
45
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: F97 x3m
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Ok folks. After some back and forth with Dinan tech support and my local installer, finally have a quick and easy solution to the clinks and clanks from the suspension. Had rubber isolators installed yesterday which now allows me to enjoy this kit as intended. Dinan support was excellent and glad the issue is finally resolved.
Great news! Interesting this wasnít discovered as an issue with their car but sometimes issues donít show up until out in the wild.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST