BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2022, 08:41 PM   #1
sshen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2019

I have a 2019 X3 xDrive30i , it is my first car & have just owned this car for about an year now. I have 19" all season & 19" winter tire setup and swap these tires on 1 set of 19" wheels seasonally winter<-> summer

My all seasons that I use for summer are kind of worn out and I plan to replace them with 20" wheel & tire setup in a few months.

Here are a few novice questions that I was not able to find answers to

1. 20" wheels look good, but is there anything else I should consider like performance or ride quality when upgrading from 19" setup?

2. Does X3 have a 20" squared (symmetrical) tire size setup? or it has to be on staggered 245/275 20" setup? The reason I ask this is, 19" can easily be rotated seasonally for better wear and with staggered, it would be limited to front/rear axles only

3. My current summer runflats got a huge nail which ever so slightly is leaking pressure like 1-2psi in a week/10 days. I couldn't find anyone who is willing to repair a runflat.. if a nail can cost you a whole new tire, I am thinking if regular tires are a good alternative when it comes to repair/replacement. Runflat vs regular ?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:59 PM   #2
lefizzet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshen View Post
I have a 2019 X3 xDrive30i , it is my first car & have just owned this car for about an year now. I have 19" all season & 19" winter tire setup and swap these tires on 1 set of 19" wheels seasonally winter<-> summer

My all seasons that I use for summer are kind of worn out and I plan to replace them with 20" wheel & tire setup in a few months.

Here are a few novice questions that I was not able to find answers to

1. 20" wheels look good, but is there anything else I should consider like performance or ride quality when upgrading from 19" setup?

2. Does X3 have a 20" squared (symmetrical) tire size setup? or it has to be on staggered 245/275 20" setup? The reason I ask this is, 19" can easily be rotated seasonally for better wear and with staggered, it would be limited to front/rear axles only

3. My current summer runflats got a huge nail which ever so slightly is leaking pressure like 1-2psi in a week/10 days. I couldn't find anyone who is willing to repair a runflat.. if a nail can cost you a whole new tire, I am thinking if regular tires are a good alternative when it comes to repair/replacement. Runflat vs regular ?

1. Any time you increase wheel diameter ride quality will suffer, assuming you move to a proportionally thinner sidewall, although 19 to 20 would be a negligible difference imo.

2. All of the OEM 20" setups from BMW are staggered from what I can recall. You can find 4 fronts or 4 rears if you want to stay OEM, or just order aftermarket and go with a square setup.

3. Many ppl hate RFTs and ditch them ASAP. I personally used the Alenza RFTs until they were bald and then ditched RFTs altogether.
Appreciate 0