BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #89
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335idrive View Post
It did absolutely seem to do it worse in the heat. New front rotors and pads took care of the problem for me.

The biggest issue in having it resolved was that my car was still covered under the maintenance warranty, and since the brakes were within spec, they refused to replace them, sending me back home with a groaning car, I believe it was 6 or 7 times.

If you're under warranty, print the whole damn thread and hand it right to your service advisor. Don't let BMW gaslight you like they did me for 4-5 months!
Agreed, I was a pain in the butt to my dealership and was fortunate that they were more than accommodating. I am still moan free, but the weird thing for me was they chose to change the calipers and pads and it went away initially but came back until I swapped back to my summers in the spring. I originally thought it was the proper wheel torque, but after thinking about this further I think the rotors should have been changed as well. I think I got lucky being just plain being pissed off and jamming on the brakes a few times to embed the new pads albeit after the fact.

As 335idrive mention heated brakes definitely brings this on so I think the combo of the rotators and pads at the same time are the key. I had my caliper and pads changed, but based on his experience I think the rotor and pad replacement at the same time is the right move.

I still have my summers on since I wore out my Conti’s. I plain to just replace my Alenza’s with either new Conti’s or Michelins, both are rated within a point of each other on Tire Rack. I work from 100% so won’t attempt to drive my summers in any snow or ice we get this winter.
Appreciate 0