BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
biemmemik
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d (G01)

DPF Additives

Has anyone used DPF additives? I was at my BMW dealer yesterday and he mentioned BMW has their own branded additive to clean DPFs, which is specifically designed for those driving mostly in cities (I live in London). Sounds a little too good to be true....

I am skeptical to put a fuel additive in my tank (I think the fuel cap says not to do that), a BMW one may be safer but the most important question is whether they are working in general or are they just bs?

I would love to hear opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by biemmemik View Post
Has anyone used DPF additives? I was at my BMW dealer yesterday and he mentioned BMW has their own branded additive to clean DPFs, which is specifically designed for those driving mostly in cities (I live in London). Sounds a little too good to be true....

I am skeptical to put a fuel additive in my tank (I think the fuel cap says not to do that), a BMW one may be safer but the most important question is whether they are working in general or are they just bs?

I would love to hear opinions.
Not aware of any BMW approved DPF additive, (new product?), but BMW do have approved fuel additives for both diesel and petrol engines.

Fuel additives can reduce particulate matter in some engines, as can premium fuels. This can assist DPF performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
biemmemik
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d (G01)

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer was actually thinking about a BMW approved fuel additive as opposed to a DPF cleaner additive.

I only use premium diesel so I guess I don't need a fuel additive.

But there are specific additives to clean DPF (they claim to help trigger regen during shorter trips) out there (Redex, Forte, Wynns to name a few). Has anyone tried any of these? Do they do anything at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I used a DPF additive on my diesel Smart car (of all things). 4 miles each way to work after an enforced move did the car no good and fuel consumption decreased after a few months from maybe 55mpg urban to 25mpg !

I tried Forte DPF cleaner and it caused the car to stink outside - used it twice over my 4 years of ownership and it stank both times but restored fuel economy back to 50+ so obviously did something good for the car !!

I like Forte stuff as, after this, my view was it seems to work
Appreciate 0