BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
MAikey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Replacing 2018 X3 ventilated seats

My wife and I both believe our 2018 X3 is a great vehicle with one glaring exception - the very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I understand seat comfort can be subjective as everyone's back and bottom are different. What might work for some doesn't necessarily for others. For me these ventilated front seats are the most uncomfortable automobile seats I've ever sat in. And from my experience as an owner of a Westfield 7 and past owner of a +4 Morgan, that's saying something. Despite all of the adjustments, these seats are very hard which takes its toll on my back on any trip lasting more than a half an hour.

I brought our disappointment with the seats to the attention of BMW national and the local dealer. BMW national listened politely, but ultimately punted me to the dealer. When I inquired at the dealership what would it cost to replace the seats, considering one option, the reply was it would be "cost prohibitive." However, no dollar amount was given. The current "fix" offered by the dealer is to have us move into a different vehicle. At this point I haven't gone in to discuss what that would cost.

My question to the forum is, has anyone replaced a front seat(s) in an X3, and what was the cost? Does BMW have a flat rate for removing and replacing seats in a 2018 X3? Before I seriously consider replacing a near new vehicle because we hate the seats, it would be prudent to understand what "cost prohibitive" for replacing the seats really means in terms of dollars and cents.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I don't have the figure you're asking about, but if I had to guess, I'd say minimum $5k.

Question if you don't mind though...were the uncomfortable seats not apparent during the test drive?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
Hendoo
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping for X3 or X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Question if you don't mind though...were the uncomfortable seats not apparent during the test drive?
I'm not the OP, but I depending on your dealer, the test drive can be pretty short, and with a salesman chatting the whole time.

I bought a car that felt "OK" on the test drive, but turned out to be fairly uncomfortable on longer drives. I suspect the OP was in a similar situation. The very firm seats are fine for short drives but become uncomfortable after a while.

So I prefer to rent a car for an extended drive before buying... But have been unable to find an X3 with ventilated seats on the rental car lot...

Just my $0.02...
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I justs totaled my 2019 X3 M40i after 4 months driving. Impact to front corner. You wouldn't think that would total it, but it did.

My point is, there are other cars out there in similar situation. Buying gently used seats may be a real option and may even be affordable.
JDsX3505.50
      06-05-2019, 12:54 AM   #5
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Any idea why they totaled it? Also what city in MN are you in?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:34 AM   #6
dzekochen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAikey View Post
My wife and I both believe our 2018 X3 is a great vehicle with one glaring exception - the very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I understand seat comfort can be subjective as everyone's back and bottom are different. What might work for some doesn't necessarily for others. For me these ventilated front seats are the most uncomfortable automobile seats I've ever sat in. And from my experience as an owner of a Westfield 7 and past owner of a +4 Morgan, that's saying something. Despite all of the adjustments, these seats are very hard which takes its toll on my back on any trip lasting more than a half an hour.

I brought our disappointment with the seats to the attention of BMW national and the local dealer. BMW national listened politely, but ultimately punted me to the dealer. When I inquired at the dealership what would it cost to replace the seats, considering one option, the reply was it would be "cost prohibitive." However, no dollar amount was given. The current "fix" offered by the dealer is to have us move into a different vehicle. At this point I haven't gone in to discuss what that would cost.

My question to the forum is, has anyone replaced a front seat(s) in an X3, and what was the cost? Does BMW have a flat rate for removing and replacing seats in a 2018 X3? Before I seriously consider replacing a nearly new vehicle because we hate the seats, it would be prudent to understand what "cost prohibitive" for replacing the seats really means in terms of dollars and cents.
already inquired my local dealer in regard to the driver seat replacement in Vancouver, and I was informed the total cost would be 10k (CAD) before tax. Remember, this amount of cost is only for the driver seat replacement. Compare to the price of 2019 X5 or m550i (if your priority is seat comfort), I think I would rather swap my driver seat with this "substantial cost" because the car is fine to me in overall and I don't want to start to complain other facts if I drive an X5 and it's nice to have an upgrade for my driver seat. I agree with the point that this car's seat is not even on the premium car's level (with ventilation). On the other hand, you should lower your expectation if the seat can only be upgraded to the sport seat (with adjustable side bolster) because the sport seat is still significantly inferior to 2019 x5's seat (the one with the fully loaded package). I'm actually curious to see if there's a feasible way to upgrade my driver seat (with vent) to the bucket seat (the one for 2020 x3m40i).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
I justs totaled my 2019 X3 M40i after 4 months driving. Impact to front corner. You wouldn't think that would total it, but it did.

My point is, there are other cars out there in similar situation. Buying gently used seats may be a real option and may even be affordable.
Sorry it is totaled...…..but I want your steering wheel!!!
Appreciate 2
sinbad4782.50
arciga181728.50
      06-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Like sinbad4 mentioned, there are several used part sites where you can find seats for the G01. Oddly enough, I was kind of in the reverse of this situation and looking to possibly retrofit the ventilated seats, but can’t find them used for sale in Oyster.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
AngeloUCF
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '19 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Like sinbad4 mentioned, there are several used part sites where you can find seats for the G01. Oddly enough, I was kind of in the reverse of this situation and looking to possibly retrofit the ventilated seats, but can’t find them used for sale in Oyster.
Same here - if I was in NY I'd hit up the OP to see about a trade. The non-vented seats are also terribly uncomfortable (IMO) so I may as well get them vented so I'm not sweating here in So FL.

OP - have you considered just taking your car to an auto upholstery shop and have them add padding to the seat? I would guess you could get it done for <1k.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
if dealer suggest swapping the car with another one...why not try that route?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My dealership's response to my own inquiry recently:

Quote:
I just wanted to touch base with you as my Shop Foreman is learning more about what may or may not be possible regarding the seat swap for your X3M40i. So far we learned that you will not be able to swap a non-BMW seat into the vehicle. If you wanted to replace the current seats, you would need to "build" the seats and with materials and labor, the cost is nearing $7-$10k (based on rough numbers). With that being said, we would need to contact one of the BMW engineers to confirm if we would even be able to make the swap due to the programming/sensors/airbags ect.

I wanted to see if you wanted to have us dive in any deeper based on the potential cost that you could accumulate. I will proceed however you wish but wanted to confirm that you would be comfortable with the cost before having my Foreman invest anymore time in this project.
I told them that was ridiculous but I was serious about addressing this issue. I haven't heard from them since, but my first scheduled maintenance is coming up and I intend to inquire about the new M-Sport seats with ventilation. I don't expect to get anywhere but hope to learn more about any wiring differences that might cause problems for a DIY swap.

If anyone with Canberra Beige wants the ventilated seats I'd be open to exploring a seat swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

I had the sport seats and they were the most uncomfortable seats I have ever had out of the 20+ cars I have owned. I liked the "sportiness" of the M40 especially after I tuned it and I briefly thought about a seat swap or having a shop rebuild them. Once I put my mind to it there were several things I wasn't in love with such as the cabin noise and the lower interior fit and form.

Ultimately I ended up just biting the bullet and going back to an AMG which is what I had before the BMW. It is impossible to compare apples to apples as the AMG is almost twice the cost but my back and butt hasn't hurt since the day I dumped the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

For me comfort hasn't been an issue at all, its the lack of good lateral bolsters on the ventilated seats that really kills me. Can you believe I paid extra for this?!?
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I also think the sport seats are not very comfortable, and it took about a week of ownership to realize it. I've had it 8 months now, and have gotten somewhat used to them. In particular, the bottom cushion is much harder than it needs to be, and I can feel the raised piping on both sides of the bottom cushion on the back of my legs. The fact that the seat is not centered with the steering wheel doesn't help either.

It would be a real shame for you to go through the trouble of changing the seats on your existing M40i, or selling it and buying another M40i with the sport seats only to find that the sport seats are not comfortable for you either. I would look at some other vehicles to see if I you can find one that's a better fit for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #15
A1723
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 3.0 xDrive, 2020 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I also think the sport seats are not very comfortable, and it took about a week of ownership to realize it. I've had it 8 months now, and have gotten somewhat used to them. In particular, the bottom cushion is much harder than it needs to be, and I can feel the raised piping on both sides of the bottom cushion on the back of my legs. The fact that the seat is not centered with the steering wheel doesn't help either.

It would be a real shame for you to go through the trouble of changing the seats on your existing M40i, or selling it and buying another M40i with the sport seats only to find that the sport seats are not comfortable for you either. I would look at some other vehicles to see if I you can find one that's a better fit for you.
That raised piping on left side of my driver seat is killing me. Right one, however, acceptable.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:

My question to the forum is, has anyone replaced a front seat(s) in an X3, and what was the cost? Does BMW have a flat rate for removing and replacing seats in a 2018 X3? Before I seriously consider replacing a near new vehicle because we hate the seats, it would be prudent to understand what "cost prohibitive" for replacing the seats really means in terms of dollars and cents.
I got the Sport Seat option because of the fact that the Ventilated ones have NO side bolsters and you literally slide left/right on harder turns, which I do very often Plus the Lumbar support is awesome. It's def less pronounced on the VEN seats because they are flatter. I weigh 155lbs. and have been to Vegas twice and love the comfort so far. NO complaints. Maybe look on Ebay for seats in Europe that came off totalled X3s? They will be WAY cheaper than getting new ones from BMW. Or call salvage yards in the US - you never know what they have.

Here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-X3-...sAAOSwbKdcEoEv
      06-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
julianohayon
2019 X3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
My dealership's response to my own inquiry recently:

Quote:
I just wanted to touch base with you as my Shop Foreman is learning more about what may or may not be possible regarding the seat swap for your X3M40i. So far we learned that you will not be able to swap a non-BMW seat into the vehicle. If you wanted to replace the current seats, you would need to "build" the seats and with materials and labor, the cost is nearing $7-$10k (based on rough numbers). With that being said, we would need to contact one of the BMW engineers to confirm if we would even be able to make the swap due to the programming/sensors/airbags ect.

I wanted to see if you wanted to have us dive in any deeper based on the potential cost that you could accumulate. I will proceed however you wish but wanted to confirm that you would be comfortable with the cost before having my Foreman invest anymore time in this project.
I told them that was ridiculous but I was serious about addressing this issue. I haven't heard from them since, but my first scheduled maintenance is coming up and I intend to inquire about the new M-Sport seats with ventilation. I don't expect to get anywhere but hope to learn more about any wiring differences that might cause problems for a DIY swap.

If anyone with Canberra Beige wants the ventilated seats I'd be open to exploring a seat swap.
I have unventilated Canberra beige seats lol. Not sure if there is a comfort difference...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #18
MAikey
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all for the constructive posts regarding my very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I sent a letter to BMW North America voicing my displeasure with the seats. They contacted me and the dealer fairly quickly to have us all work something out. Saturday we pick up a new 2018 X3 with, what appear to be, very comfortable seats. Not the cheapest solution to the problem, but not the most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #19
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to all for the constructive posts regarding my very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I sent a letter to BMW North America voicing my displeasure with the seats. They contacted me and the dealer fairly quickly to have us all work something out. Saturday we pick up a new 2018 X3 with, what appear to be, very comfortable seats. Not the cheapest solution to the problem, but not the most expensive.
Glad it worked out to your liking.....what is different about the seats in your new X3 - are they just non-ventilated ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #20
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

that dealer price for a new seat is ridiculous, if you total up 2 seats plus the back bench youre probably into $40k, so the rest of the car is cheap as chips
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:06 AM   #21
MAikey
Registered
United_States
Rep

The difference in the seats in our new car is they are NOT ventilated. The ventilated seats are hard, as comfortable as boards on your back. Anyone prone to back issues beware of the ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
AngeloUCF
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '19 X4 M40i

Quote:
The difference in the seats in our new car is they are NOT ventilated. The ventilated seats are hard, as comfortable as boards on your back. Anyone prone to back issues beware of the ventilated seats.
I can't imagine how hard the ventilated seats must be considering the non vented seats in my X4 are extremely firm
Appreciate 0