BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Replacement Tires for X3

Anyone replace tires on 19' rims? I have the sport package with the X3 with 19' wheels and my Pirelli Pzero (rear) are almost slick at 16,500 while the fronts have a lot of tread. The rear eplacement are $400+ each and I was thinking of Continental Cross Contacts that have a much better tread wear rating and are a lot cheaper. Anyone have these tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Anyone replace tires on 19' rims? I have the sport package with the X3 with 19' wheels and my Pirelli Pzero (rear) are almost slick at 16,500 while the fronts have a lot of tread. The rear eplacement are $400+ each and I was thinking of Continental Cross Contacts that have a much better tread wear rating and are a lot cheaper. Anyone have these tires?
Not to be an asshole but why wouold you mismatch tires front and rear? You bought a BMW not a kia so you should have realized tires are expensive. I am sure the Contis are fine but if you mismatch tires the car will not handle correctly and could be a safety issue. Is it really worth risking all of that for a few hundres bucks? I dont think it is. Like I said not trying to be a dick but I am giving you my honest opinion. I have an X3 sport pack as well but did not opt for 19's because of the weather here and it was a 2 year lease so to buy winter tires and rims is pointless to me to only use for 2 winters.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

What do you mean by mismatch tires? Just because it came with Pirelli Tires doesn't mean I have to buy Pirelli again. Yea right I'm cheap, bought 13 new BMW's so I guess I'm stupid. Are you stupid because you don't like the tires on your car, I guess so according to you. I still don't have a clue as to what you mean mismatch tires since I'm putting the exact same size of tires on. Maybe you are being a dick and an asshole mfor being so stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Johnn
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5i

Whoa! Let's keep this constructive and polite.

Lucky13's original question was worded in a way that it could be construed that he was not replacing all 4 tires. (Although the focus was on the rears being definitely worn, I imagine the fronts are not that far from it too.)
Don't know much myself about 19" Z-rated high-performance tires, but I have read good and bad about the Pirelli P Zero.

Let's get back to the real question. Has anyone got experience with that particular Conti tire, especially in that size, and ideally, can they compare the performance and durability of it to the Pirelli?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Johnn
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5i

..... adding to that ....

Looking at TireRack pricing, I see that the point is:

for a 19" staggered setup, the Pirelli rears cost disproportionately more than the fronts, compared to the competing Contiis, Michelins, etc. For those, the beefier rears are only nominally more than the fronts. Based on TireRack's tests, it depends on what criteria are important to you, and unless dry performance is your be all and end all, the others are a better choice moneywise for sure. The softer compound in the Pirellis would account for your rapid rear wear, but I would still have expected more than 16K.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
i have a 2.5i 2006.... recentl i put (michelin sport pilot A/S tires) with speed factors (zr),they are amazing..... and the secod best option (good year eagle f1 tire)wich is the best handling tire in the curves,and the best tire for 2008, with my best wishes...Dr.Kinan.......Syria
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinan_sleiman2006 View Post
i have a 2.5i 2006.... recentl i put (michelin sport pilot A/S tires) with speed factors (zr),they are amazing..... and the secod best option (good year eagle f1 tire)wich is the best handling tire in the curves,and the best tire for 2008, with my best wishes...Dr.Kinan.......Syria
thanks for sharing info.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
Frankie45
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Tires

After so much research and reading so many blogs I decided to go with non run flat tires on my X3

The first reason was the overall cost since run flats are more expensive and in most situations can't be repaired I figured it would be a better option for the long run.

2nd is I read multiple posts about how noisy run flats were and how much the performance sacrificed. I haven't noticed my Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ to be anymore quieter however the handling is amazing.

I was going back and forth with the Michelin or the continental Dws 06 but since it mostly rains in the Pacific Northwest and only snow 5 days out of the year I went with Michelin.

I was worried about not having a spare but I actually don't even know how to change a tire. The tire warranty covers roadside assistance for 3 years and some people mention buying a repair kit but the likelihood of being able to use the kit is small.

Overall, I'm happy with my decision and the way these tires handle in the rain without hydroplaning is worth everything to me.
Appreciate 0