BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #23
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Thanks for DYI write up, detailed.

I may go this retrofit route soon with OEM parts and finish. Not regretting on $550 option i could have had from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmsmr12 View Post
I was told there are no factory hitches in the USA right now.
Can you elaborate on above comment?

I would probably have the dealer do this retrofit, if possible, though i don't know what that means to the mfg warranty.

Also, trying to find this information, not easy to locate. Any idea what the weight difference with and without?

Thanks much.
When I started this journey back in early February, there were no factory hitches in the USA. Mine took about 7-8 days from order date to ship from Germany. Apparently they were on national backorder. I think supply is getting better now though.

As for weight gain, I'm guessing about 30 lbs or so. You replace the existing metal support behind the bumper cover with the hitch so you remove some weight before you add the hitch.

As for warranty, I was told that since they are BMW factory parts bought from an authorized dealer, they carry the same warranty as the car. 4yr/50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #24
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
Awesome - thanks so much. This is detailed enough that I might try it
Hopefully this will help others. There wasn't a lot of info specific to our new X3's out there.

BTW, when you buy the hitch, the hitch box doesn't include the hitch install instructions. The parts people have to print it out for you from ETK. So make sure you ask for them. . I bought my hitch from my local dealer and asked for them when I picked the hitch up.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #25
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I am probably going to get a 3-rd party removable hitch installed. However I am very interested in getting the proper electrics installed so it works correctly with the trunk opening/reverse sensors etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #26
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update... got all the parts except the actual hitch. The lower trim cover comes painted the correct gray color and factory matches and obviously has the hitch and trailer connection cutouts.

The $500 factory wiring retrofit harness looks like it should cost about $50. Lol. Not much to it, but it does include the factory 4 and 7 pin connectors that directly snap into the hitch. Just waiting on the actual hitch now. Current eta is 2/25/19.
Do you have a photo of this harness? How complex is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #27
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Update... got all the parts except the actual hitch. The lower trim cover comes painted the correct gray color and factory matches and obviously has the hitch and trailer connection cutouts.

The $500 factory wiring retrofit harness looks like it should cost about $50. Lol. Not much to it, but it does include the factory 4 and 7 pin connectors that directly snap into the hitch. Just waiting on the actual hitch now. Current eta is 2/25/19.
Do you have a photo of this harness? How complex is it?
I didn't take a picture of it. . On the hitch end it has two proprietary connectors that connect to the 4 and 7 pin electrical connectors mounted to the hitch. On the other end it has four connectors. Three plug into the AAG hitch controller module and one plugs into the factory car wiring tow pre-wire plug that exists in the passenger side rear compartment. All the connectors look to be proprietary BMW of course.

Here's a picture of where the harness connects to the hitch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #28
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't take a picture of it. . On the hitch end it has two proprietary connectors that connect to the 4 and 7 pin electrical connectors mounted to the hitch. On the other end it has four connectors. Three plug into the AAG hitch controller module and one plugs into the factory car wiring tow pre-wire plug that exists in the passenger side rear compartment. All the connectors look to be proprietary BMW of course.
Ah ok. It seems ludicrous that the wires cost more then the controller and hitch combined.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #29
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ah ok. It seems ludicrous that the wires cost more then the controller and hitch combined.
My only accurate response is..."welcome to BMW." LOL.

When I pulled the wiring harness from the box I said "this is $500?" It does include the Pollak 4 and 7 pin sockets that snap into the hitch. About 5-6 feet of various wires in various gauges wrapped in fancy electrical tape and some fancy connectors on each end.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #30
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
When I started this journey back in early February, there were no factory hitches in the USA. Mine took about 7-8 days from order date to ship from Germany. Apparently they were on national backorder. I think supply is getting better now though.

As for weight gain, I'm guessing about 30 lbs or so. You replace the existing metal support behind the bumper cover with the hitch so you remove some weight before you add the hitch.

As for warranty, I was told that since they are BMW factory parts bought from an authorized dealer, they carry the same warranty as the car. 4yr/50k miles.
Got it, thanks for the info on that warranty coverage.

The 30 lbs, no issue.

I'm going to get a quote from local dealer for installation fee, as i wouldn't know where to begin to do this myself. Looks nice, with OEM look, though having the euro variant would be even better outcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #31
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Quote:

Got it, thanks for the info on that warranty coverage.

The 30 lbs, no issue.

I'm going to get a quote from local dealer for installation fee, as i wouldn't know where to begin to do this myself. Looks nice, with OEM look, though having the euro variant would be even better outcome.
I would be interested in what they tell you for total price installed. I know the hitch instructions say "make sure you bill the customer for time to code and do not try to bill it under warranty." Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #32
Roverine
Registered
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BMW factory directions for OEM install

Quote:
Very nice! That should be a lot cheaper than the full install because the wiring harness and controller are about $650.

I downloaded the BMW factory directions for the install from one of the online parts dealers. It quotes 2.5 hours for the install without PDC and 2.75 hours with PDC. I assume you didn’t get anything coded since you didn’t install the electronics.

Did you get the BMW factory hitch? If so, did your dealer install the new lower trim piece made specifically for the hitch? I was told there are no factory hitches in the USA right now.
Hi ktmsmr12: Any chance you still have a link for the factory install directions? I can’t find anything from a search. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #33
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverine View Post
Hi ktmsmr12: Any chance you still have a link for the factory install directions? I can’t find anything from a search. Thanks
https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...ER%20HITCH.pdf

This might be what you are looking for.

I've got my car at the dealer and they are speccing out parts + labor. I'll update this thread tomorrow with their estimate.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #34
Roverine
Registered
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchgate View Post
https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...ER%20HITCH.pdf

This might be what you are looking for.

I've got my car at the dealer and they are speccing out parts + labor. I'll update this thread tomorrow with their estimate.
Yes, thank you,sir!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #35
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Thanks couchgate. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #36
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry guys. Just saw this question. I was out riding trails yesterday in the side by side. As a side note, the X3 M40i pulls my Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT and Aluma Trailer like a dream. Total weight of Mule and trailer is 2,750 lbs. Tongue weight of 302.5 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #37
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks couchgate. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Just got the car back from the dealer - they did it for about $1900 including parts, labor, coding, and tax. It looks amazing and all of the tow mode features seem to be working.

Also I can confirm that I lost the kick to open feature but I'm not too worried about that.
Appreciate 2
chassis6537.50
      03-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #38
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback couchgate.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #39
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I just ordered the parts to install the factory wiring with my stealth hitch.

The retrofit wiring is now listed at $300 list price and I got it discounted at $239 from a well known BMW parts website. The Controller was also discounted to $127.

Not sure how I am going to mount the harness plug yet, but I am not afraid to fabricate a bracket or something.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. My plan is to install it over
Easter weekend, and get it coded (along with a few other things) shortly after.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #40
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelthy View Post

The retrofit wiring is now listed at $300 list price and I got it discounted at $239 from a well known BMW parts website. The Controller was also discounted to $127.

Not sure how I am going to mount the harness plug yet, but I am not afraid to fabricate a bracket or something.

Ugh. I guess I had to pay extra to be an early adopter. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #41
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelthy View Post

Actually, looks like BMW is playing price swap games. The wiring harness has come down $200. The hitch has gone up approx $200.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #42
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Actually, looks like BMW is playing price swap games. The wiring harness has come down $200. The hitch has gone up approx $200.
Ah, that actually makes some sense.

Since the bracket to mount the wiring plug into looks integrated into the hitch, and I am using the stealth hitch, I ordered this bracket:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-HM40978.html

This should let me mount the BMW plug that comes with the wiring harness more easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #43
martinX32018
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Does anyone knows if the procedure is the same for a x30i?

My dealer doesn't want to install a hitch. It has to come from the factory and very few are available. Trailer shops can install a hitch but will "bypass" the computer for errors... They won't install a BMW module. I really don't want to go that route!

Cheers,

M.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #44
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinX32018 View Post
Does anyone knows if the procedure is the same for a x30i?

My dealer doesn't want to install a hitch. It has to come from the factory and very few are available. Trailer shops can install a hitch but will "bypass" the computer for errors... They won't install a BMW module. I really don't want to go that route!

Cheers,

M.
I have been talking with Attache-Remorques Gatineau

They do Stealth Hitches. I am also looking at buying a BMW hitch in Europe and bringing it here They have the retrofit kit and that hitch folds away. It also does not interfere with the kick to open feature.

What is not clear is whether to EU hitch has provision for safety chains, and if it does not can that be added.
Appreciate 0