BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #45
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Absolutely use anti-seize, and doesn't need to be a lot. Aluminum and steel will not play nice together over the long haul. Even if you can get the spacers off, you'll end up with corrosion on both parts that can affect the fit. It's especially sensitive around the center hub lip where the fit is critical to avoid balance issues.

After posting about torque wrenches last night I realized I should have given a recommendation. Amazon sells Tekton brand torque wrenches that are very good quality/accuracy and reasonable cost. For automotive use on wheel lugs, an 18" is the best bet, and these generally cover up to about 150 ft-lb:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL0RU/

That size will give plenty of leverage but not be too long (length can be a problem if you can't rotate it around without hitting fender/ground/etc). I'd suggest also getting a short 1/2" extension for the socket and/or use a deep socket (which should be hardened if possible). You always want to get the wrench out away from the wheels and fenders. Seen too many knuckleheads whack their fenders because they didn't have an extension.

For large trucks and tractors you can move up to a 24-26" model that will go up to 250 ft-lb. These are generally too unwieldy for cars, plus you are giving up accuracy to go to the higher rating:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL1NS/
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually found a shop near my office that installed them for $40.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      01-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #46
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually found a shop near my office that installed them for $40.
PICS?
      01-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #47
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Quote:
PICS?
My car is filthy. The weather in Chicago is brutal right now. As soon as I can wash it I will start my build thread. I bought the car about a month ago and have a bunch of Ind goodies installed along with the spacers and tinted the two front windows.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      01-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #48
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is filthy. The weather in Chicago is brutal right now. As soon as I can wash it I will start my build thread. I bought the car about a month ago and have a bunch of Ind goodies installed along with the spacers and tinted the two front windows.
Did you match the tint on the rears? What did you do? - 30%
      01-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #49
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you match the tint on the rears? What did you do? - 30%
Yep, exactly. It looks good. Not too dark. I think it looks great with the glacier silver.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #50
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, exactly. It looks good. Not too dark. I think it looks great with the glacier silver.
Agreed. too black makes it hard to see outside at night. Plus it also does not look too good with silver
      01-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #51
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. too black makes it hard to see outside at night. Plus it also does not look too good with silver
I think the lighter the color the car itself, the better it looks in terms of the darkness of the tint. For example, my last car was a grand Cherokee SRT that was black and I had those front windows tinted the same shade as the X3. Without a doubt it looked much darker on the black car even though it was the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #52
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

This is probably a stupid question but does having spacers affect anything to do with the adaptive suspension on an M40i? Also, can I do this if I have 21" wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #53
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
This is probably a stupid question but does having spacers affect anything to do with the adaptive suspension on an M40i? Also, can I do this if I have 21" wheels?
No & yes.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #54
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

Can you take a picture of the front from further back? Thanks in advance. I'm really seriously considering this even though it's technically my wife's car
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      12-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #55
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

r33_RGSport I'm in the market for spacers for front and rear too. Just PM'd you.

First of all, do you have pics of your spacers you can post up? Would be nice to see them, especially the backs, if there are cutouts for removing them.

-----------------------------------------------

My X3 doesn't see a ton of salt in the winter, like the people in the east, but it does see some on the weekends when we drive up the mountains to go skiing.

I had a set of RENN Motorsport and VRSF spacers on my 2014 X3, and both had cutouts on the back. Despite using anti-seize grease on the hub lip, they'd still get stuck sometimes, so it was definitely handy.

The part that I wasn't very happy with were the bolts though, which I can't recall who I purchased them from. Almost all of them are showing rust on the heads after a few winters. Luckily not the shafts, so it was cosmetic and did not make it more difficult to remove the bolts.

But I would like to know if you've got customers that have been using your spacers and bolts in areas where the cars see salt in the winter, and how they've fared?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #56
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
r33_RGSport I'm in the market for spacers for front and rear too. Just PM'd you.

First of all, do you have pics of your spacers you can post up? Would be nice to see them, especially the backs, if there are cutouts for removing them.

-----------------------------------------------

My X3 doesn't see a ton of salt in the winter, like the people in the east, but it does see some on the weekends when we drive up the mountains to go skiing.

I had a set of RENN Motorsport and VRSF spacers on my 2014 X3, and both had cutouts on the back. Despite using anti-seize grease on the hub lip, they'd still get stuck sometimes, so it was definitely handy.

The part that I wasn't very happy with were the bolts though, which I can't recall who I purchased them from. Almost all of them are showing rust on the heads after a few winters. Luckily not the shafts, so it was cosmetic and did not make it more difficult to remove the bolts.

But I would like to know if you've got customers that have been using your spacers and bolts in areas where the cars see salt in the winter, and how they've fared?
Hey, just replied to your PM.
I only carry H&R brand on the spacers.
It doesn't have the cut-out.

Maybe arciga18 can give you better answer on the H&R spacer that he bought from me.
He lives in Chicago. So gotta see some salt.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #57
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

Maybe arciga18 can give you better answer on the H&R spacer that he bought from me.
Thx. I had a pair of them in the past, and they are great quality for sure. Still running them on my other BMW after 10 years! That car doesn't see as much salt as the X3, but still, they haven't gotten stuck on my hubs, come to think of it, so perhaps the metal quality matters too...

Even though they don't have a slot in the back, did you still give me a quote on them? If not, please do so. And I'm hoping you carry black bolts?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00
      12-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #58
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:

Thx. I had a pair of them in the past, and they are great quality for sure. Still running them on my other BMW after 10 years! That car doesn't see as much salt as the X3, but still, they haven't gotten stuck on my hubs, come to think of it, so perhaps the metal quality matters too...

Even though they don't have a slot in the back, did you still give me a quote on them? If not, please do so. And I'm hoping you carry black bolts?
I replied to you PM for the whole complete set.
Black lug bolts too.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      12-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #59
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Quote:

I don't actually run the spacers in the winter because they don't match my black winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #60
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

looking good.
Appreciate 0