BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
AM Jahan
Rep
Drives: X3, F25

X3 F25 Clicking Noise in transfer case while Braking or Deceleration at Low RPMs

Hi all,
Recently, My X3, F25, 2.8 Xi, 2012 (with automatic transmission) started to make a slight clicking noise coming from beneath of car. This happens in 3 conditions:

1. While the transmission is engaged (R or D) and I press brake pedal at very Low speeds (less than 20km/h) for example when parking the car.
2. While the transmission is engaged in Drive (D) and letting go off the gas pedal in very low speeds in leveled path or downhill position.
3. While the transmission is in neutral (N) and the car is moving forward in downhill position.

The clicking sound is transient and stays about 1-2 seconds until full stop.There may be other conditions which the car makes this rattling noise but I can't hear them.

The ZF transmission shifts are good and I don't feel any slipping. The transfer case fluid has been replaced since the noise began to appear. The car doesn't make any noise when turning the steering wheel. I've never changed my transmission fluid and filter up to now.

It seems the mentioned noise is different from notorious wastegate rattling noise in these models.

I am a bit confused for diagnosing this problem. Some one detects is a transmission solenoid noise, another talks about bad CV joints, other discuss about loosen exhaust heat shield rand, bad transfer case, axle problem etc.

In the attached link you can check this noise when the car is in drive with 3 km speed and I am trying to press the brake pedal in the leveled condition.

https://mega.nz/#!1Y1ynQ5B!e5cTVHwAc...PGcDA68oL3SCps

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by AM Jahan; 10-27-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
AM Jahan
Rep

Update 1: For any one who may be interested, the noise is coming from the my ATC-45L transfer case!
I have not tore down the transfer case assembly yet, but I guess there may be some possible culprits for this noise:

1. Worm Gear (Shaft Actuator)
2. Longitudinal Torque Module Electronics
3. Transfer Case Output Shaft Bearing
4. Bad Wheel Speed Sensor

I checked the transfer case fluid and replaced it by RAVENOL TF-870 and reset the TC adaptations as well. But the noise still exists!

Because my transfer case is working properly (except the noise), and before trying to disassemble it, I want to get more information about this trouble. So any advice helping me to narrow the diagnosing procedure is highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

These threads might be helpful.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579087

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1636499
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
AM Jahan
Rep

Thanks. I will check the links.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Jahan View Post
Thanks. I will check the links.
Hi, did you every resolve the noise? I am hearing it on mine as well, positive it's the torque module motor.

I have a slight shudder accelerating from a stop so I'm wondering if the two issues could be related. Considering replacing the module as I don't feel any issues with the clutches in the transfer case (no binding)
Appreciate 0