BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

"start/stop" + brake + not moving="park"

Maybe everyone already knows this and NO ONE told me!

Manual says to press "park" then "stop/start"
But If your foot is on the brake, the car is not moving (I am still in "drive") and I press the "stop/start" it automatically switches it to "park" and shuts the car off.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
What if you're moving at 80 mph
try it and let us know
Appreciate 1
shoptb176.00
      11-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
In my manual it says exactly that in the section for auto start/stop.
      11-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Something else about the handbrake. Whether or not you have the auto hold activated, the parking brake will disengage as soon as you push down on the accelerator.

Also, I like how the "button" (more like a toggle switch really) actually mimics a real hand break. AKA pull up to apply handbrake, push down to disengage.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

if you open the door at a stand still but in drive it automatically puts the car in park as well. all this digital transmission joystick nonsense actually had a point to it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It will even kick the shifter out of M/S into Park when you turn the car off which I found really surprising! Its the first car I've owned where I didn't just leave it in gear all the time so regularly forget to do this
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
Something else about the handbrake. Whether or not you have the auto hold activated, the parking brake will disengage as soon as you push down on the accelerator.

Also, I like how the "button" (more like a toggle switch really) actually mimics a real hand break. AKA pull up to apply handbrake, push down to disengage.
This is the first car I have offering this feature, preventing me from being a fool and driving off with the parking brake engaged (did that a few times myself in the last few decades)

I am afraid to get the habit of not manually disengaging the parking brakes though since I could see myself getting into trouble with rental cars while traveling on business...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
Maybe everyone already knows this and NO ONE told me!

Manual says to press "park" then "stop/start"
But If your foot is on the brake, the car is not moving (I am still in "drive") and I press the "stop/start" it automatically switches it to "park" and shuts the car off.
Another idiot proof feature (auto shifting to Park by engine shut down) that I like as insurance, and may need some day when I get too old and forget how to drive properly

One annoying thing - I have a long and slightly uphill driveway from my mailbox to my house. I usually stop at the mailbox and put the car in Park without shutting off the engine. For my new X3, As soon as I open the door and get out to retrieve my mail even for a quick 5 seconds, the car shuts off by itself and I have to restart the car by pressing the Start/Stop before I can continue to drive up to my garage. It's a great safety measure, but not sure if there is some way to get around it... :
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

yes, I am so accustomed to that feature that when I hop into my parents x1 and turn it off, I always leave it in DRIVE and it alerts me every time
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Another idiot proof feature (auto shifting to Park by engine shut down) that I like as insurance, and may need some day when I get too old and forget how to drive properly

One annoying thing - I have a long and slightly uphill driveway from my mailbox to my house. I usually stop at the mailbox and put the car in Park without shutting off the engine. For my new X3, As soon as I open the door and get out to retrieve my mail even for a quick 5 seconds, the car shuts off by itself and I have to restart the car by pressing the Start/Stop before I can continue to drive up to my garage. It's a great safety measure, but not sure if there is some way to get around it... :
That's really weird. When I had a shop replace my kidney grills etc with black ones, the shop guy forgot to hand me the key (it was in his pocket after he backed the car out of the shop and left the car running). I got in, drove off...
No key fob warning, no nothing. I got all the way across town and the shop woman calls to tell me not to turn my car off because I won't be able to restart it. Luckily I was close to home and my wife brought me my second fob and I returned to the shop the next day for my first one.
But I thought it was really weird that it didn't alert at all that there was an issue until I turned the car off later and couldn't restart it.
But I usually drive with auto start/stop off so maybe that something to do with it? Not sure...

Last edited by TxHornX3M40iGuy; 11-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Well I didn't know this and its great Almost like having programmable, automated sequences. Kinda would be cool if there was a future BMW feature where we could pre-program our preferred sequences......
      11-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
Captain_H
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (Waiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

That's really weird. When I had a shop replace my kidney grills etc with black ones, the shop guy forgot to hand me the key (it was in his pocket after he backed the car out of the shop and left the car running). I got in, drove off...
No key fob warning, no nothing. I got all the way across town and the shop woman calls to tell me not to turn my car off because I won't be able to restart it. Luckily I was close to home and my wife brought me my second fob and I returned to the shop the next day for my first one.
But I thought it was really weird that it didn't alert at all that there was an issue until I turned the car off later and couldn't restart it.
But I usually drive with auto start/stop off so maybe that something to do with it? Not sure...
Hmmmmm, that's not good. This is a security flaw. I think you should report it to BMW.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      11-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #13
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have walked away from my car with it running and I have heard it "chiming" something - I assume some kind of warning that the key is leaving or getting too far away
Appreciate 0