BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
$6k for Nav?!

I'm considering the X3 xDrive30i for my wife and family vacation hauler. AWD is a must, and so is NAV for when we are out in the wilderness outside of Cell range. However, on the build site, NAV only comes in the $6k Premium Tier which comes with a HUD. WTH. That can't be right. Tell me that can't be right. I don't need a HUD.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
KevinAC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 (m)30i, 2015 F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm considering the X3 xDrive30i for my wife and family vacation hauler. AWD is a must, and so is NAV for when we are out in the wilderness outside of Cell range. However, on the build site, NAV only comes in the $6k Premium Tier which comes with a HUD. WTH. That can't be right. Tell me that can't be right. I don't need a HUD.
You may not realize it, but you do need HUD. I didn't want it either, but now it really bothers me driving my wife's car without it. The Nav directions in the HUD help a lot with keeping your eyes on the road.

Either way, if you go without the Premium Tier, you can still add Nav as an option for $1700.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41906.50
      04-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAC View Post
You may not realize it, but you do need HUD. I didn't want it either, but now it really bothers me driving my wife's car without it. The Nav directions in the HUD help a lot with keeping your eyes on the road.

I've had the hud in my 340i and I went without it in my F80, and I don't really miss it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAC View Post
Either way, if you go without the Premium Tier, you can still add Nav as an option for $1700.
Ok good to know, thanks.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Nav option is available for $1700

I tried built a vehicle. The NAV option is available by itself for $1700.

Try it yourself. I started with the X line and added the Convenience pkg and leather.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Wanna3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i

Another consideration with the HUD is that it's basically rendered useless by some polarized sunglasses (e.g., Maui Jim). I can see the HUD faintly if I tilt my head to the side, but otherwise it's effectively invisible when I'm wearing my Maui's.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
I tried built a vehicle. The NAV option is available by itself for $1700.

Try it yourself. I started with the X line and added the Convenience pkg and leather.

Wallyf
Yup I see it now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna3 View Post
Another consideration with the HUD is that it's basically rendered useless by some polarized sunglasses (e.g., Maui Jim). I can see the HUD faintly if I tilt my head to the side, but otherwise it's effectively invisible when I'm wearing my Maui's.
That's partially the reason why I didn't go for it in my F80. I only used it at night.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually picked up some good non polarized lenses just for this reason. I've been a sunglasses snob who only wears polarized for years, but I'm glad this forced the issue because I quite like the new ones. There are some good contrast enhancing, glare reducing options out there made specifically for driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Bite the bullet. Get the HUD. It's great to have the various instructions come up in the HUD when driving. As you get close to change-up - you'll be presented with lane or turn information - or even mini-map. It's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
Boosh99
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
I actually picked up some good non polarized lenses just for this reason. I've been a sunglasses snob who only wears polarized for years, but I'm glad this forced the issue because I quite like the new ones. There are some good contrast enhancing, glare reducing options out there made specifically for driving.
What brands of sunglasses are people moving to that are non-polarised. Need new sunnies for both wife and I and both are sworn polarised users but both have(or about to have) cars with HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh99 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What brands of sunglasses are people moving to that are non-polarised. Need new sunnies for both wife and I and both are sworn polarised users but both have(or about to have) cars with HUD.
Just my opinion, but both Smith and Oakley have excellent lines of road-oriented lenses (Chromapop road and Prizm road). I settled on some glasses with Prizm road lenses. Maui Jim has a "Maui Rose" that's high contrast as well, though I slightly prefer their HCL bronze.

Recently I was talking with a guy who pointed out to me that it is rare to find sport eyewear that is polarized, outside of some specific sports like fishing or shooting. It actually makes it more difficult to see details on surfaces, reduces contrast. You need some reflection to see depth and texture. Additionally polarized lenses are not consistent if you're moving your head around a lot as varying angles.

There are some very select roads at very specific times of day and direction of travel where you may experience increased "shine" coming off the road by going away from polarized. However, I think in general you see more detail without, particularly in winter. It's hard to find a snow goggle that's polarized, or winter sport athletes using them.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
Boosh99
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Just my opinion, but both Smith and Oakley have excellent lines of road-oriented lenses (Chromapop road and Prizm road). I settled on some glasses with Prizm road lenses. Maui Jim has a "Maui Rose" that's high contrast as well, though I slightly prefer their HCL bronze.

Recently I was talking with a guy who pointed out to me that it is rare to find sport eyewear that is polarized, outside of some specific sports like fishing or shooting. It actually makes it more difficult to see details on surfaces, reduces contrast. You need some reflection to see depth and texture. Additionally polarized lenses are not consistent if you're moving your head around a lot as varying angles.

There are some very select roads at very specific times of day and direction of travel where you may experience increased "shine" coming off the road by going away from polarized. However, I think in general you see more detail without, particularly in winter. It's hard to find a snow goggle that's polarized, or winter sport athletes using them.
Thanks I'll check these out. We don't get any snow around here, so that won't be an issue, but I think here in Australia we have a lot of glare - not sure if related to lack of Ozone and related high UV... or it could just be that when I've visited other parts of the world it was at the right time of year to not experience so much glare. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #12
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh99 View Post
Quote:

Thanks I'll check these out. We don't get any snow around here, so that won't be an issue, but I think here in Australia we have a lot of glare - not sure if related to lack of Ozone and related high UV... or it could just be that when I've visited other parts of the world it was at the right time of year to not experience so much glare. Cheers!
That's a good point. I've never been to Australia. I'd bet non polarized would be better for off-roading or trail cycling, but I don't imagine you'll be flogging your X3 down a trail. Everyone's needs are different, hopefully you find a pair that you like.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I purchased the luxury line, executive tier 2018 X3 xDrive30i. The navigation system is listed in the premium package as an included option along with HUD at $3300.00. I'm reading that straight off the Monroney sticker. You can get Nav as a stand alone option like others have said. I do understand personal preferences, especially in cars -- just my opinion you can't go wrong with the HUD either -- it makes the Nav so much better especially, when following guidance directions from point A to point B and any intermediate waypoints along the way.
Appreciate 0