BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Is your vehicle on stock suspension or lowered?
Stock suspension. I don't lower SUVs, I need the ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iM3an View Post
That's awesome! Did you change tires/what tires are on it?
Michelin PS4S except I upsized to 265 front and 295 rear. No spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Cool😎. Is that Mt Shasta area?
Just north of Mt. Rainier in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
You have the setup I've been contemplating. I have an M4 comp, but my two little girls and a love of mountain biking are pushing me in the direction of an X3/5 M. The hitch in my plan was the lack of a factory hitch. I generally lease and didn't want to modify the car in a way to violate the lease. Sounds like I could do your hitch. I generally haul my bike on my old FJ cruiser, but it sucks on trips longer than an hour.

Thanks for posting and enjoy those great bikes. What trail were you riding? Looks like Washington. Don't blame you for not pedaling up, even if it was a fire road. 😜
I'm on a lease and I suppose I'll have to remove the hitch if I don't keep the car. Honestly though it's such an awesome rig that there is a decent chance I would buy it out at lease end. I've had a couple M3s and always sell them because of their lack of functionality in my life. The X3M gives me an M car that is very similar to M3 but with the utility and AWD I need. It's a niche vehicle that has some turbo lag and is stiff, but for me and everyone I've had in it, it's not uncomfortable. Once you figure out the power band and gearing, the turbo lag is less of an issue and it has great throttle response with option to make it hair trigger in sport+. I think it's a fantastic compromise vehicle just as long as you're not expecting a track car.

The trail was Ranger Creek and Deep Creek in WA. Normally I do pedal up but these are not really climbing trails and with a shuttle option to get two runs in, that sealed that plan.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #24
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Is your vehicle on stock suspension or lowered?
Stock suspension. I don't lower SUVs, I need the ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iM3an View Post
That's awesome! Did you change tires/what tires are on it?
Michelin PS4S except I upsized to 265 front and 295 rear. No spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Cool😎. Is that Mt Shasta area?
Just north of Mt. Rainier in WA.

Quote:
You have the setup I've been contemplating. I have an M4 comp, but my two little girls and a love of mountain biking are pushing me in the direction of an X3/5 M. The hitch in my plan was the lack of a factory hitch. I generally lease and didn't want to modify the car in a way to violate the lease. Sounds like I could do your hitch. I generally haul my bike on my old FJ cruiser, but it sucks on trips longer than an hour.

Thanks for posting and enjoy those great bikes. What trail were you riding? Looks like Washington. Don't blame you for not pedaling up, even if it was a fire road. 😜
I'm on a lease and I suppose I'll have to remove the hitch if I don't keep the car. Honestly though it's such an awesome rig that there is a decent chance I would buy it out at lease end. I've had a couple M3s and always sell them because of their lack of functionality in my life. The X3M gives me an M car that is very similar to M3 but with the utility and AWD I need. It's a niche vehicle that has some turbo lag and is stiff, but for me and everyone I've had in it, it's not uncomfortable. Once you figure out the power band and gearing, the turbo lag is less of an issue and it has great throttle response with option to make it hair trigger in sport+. I think it's a fantastic compromise vehicle just as long as you're not expecting a track car.

The trail was Ranger Creek and Deep Creek in WA. Normally I do pedal up but these are not really climbing trails and with a shuttle option to get two runs in, that sealed that plan.
I absolutely love this area when the weather cooperates. Some of the best scenery I've seen anywhere.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
kzg19691299.00
clee1982797.50
sd306380.50
      07-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #25
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
I absolutely love this area when the weather cooperates. Some of the best scenery I've seen anywhere.
I've been there and the view is just crazy. Almost died from the bazillion mosquitos that just hatched when I was there though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #26
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Stock suspension. I don't lower SUVs, I need the ground clearance... I'm on a lease and I suppose I'll have to remove the hitch if I don't keep the car. Honestly though it's such an awesome rig that there is a decent chance I would buy it out at lease end. I've had a couple M3s and always sell them because of their lack of functionality in my life. The X3M gives me an M car that is very similar to M3 but with the utility and AWD I need. It's a niche vehicle that has some turbo lag and is stiff, but for me and everyone I've had in it, it's not uncomfortable. Once you figure out the power band and gearing, the turbo lag is less of an issue and it has great throttle response with option to make it hair trigger in sport+. I think it's a fantastic compromise vehicle just as long as you're not expecting a track car...
Thanks for sharing, Transfer . Given the performance and handling characteristics of the F97, esp if in Comp form (or tuned) and without the moonroof and spare, I wouldn't agree it's a 'compromise vehicle' though, and I respectfully suggest you're selling it short by stating such. I understand your intent by writing that, and those who have dedicated small coupe and sedan track cars will agree with you, but if an experienced Driver has a track nearby, and has the extra funds for tires, brakes, and fluids, I have no doubt he/she won't be an embarrassment to the F97 ranks and will have a lot of fun with this vehicle. Ask j080808 how it handles around a track [vimeo.com/425355344].
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #27
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot1523 View Post
Quote:
I bought my X3MC to be fast, fun, and a true sport activity vehicle. This includes using it on unpaved roads to get into the mountains with some frequency. Today I took it off the tarmac for the first time and up a 3200 foot ascent on a 10 mile potholed, washboarded, dusty forest service road to go mountain biking.

I was not expecting much and thought I would really not enjoy this car on these types of roads. Nonsense! It was fantastic! I kept it in comfort suspension, sport throttle, and manual shifting and it was a hoot without beating me up. Also no issues with ground clearance but there was nothing crazy on this road. I had two friends in the car and they were both surprised by the capability and the relative comfort even if it was a bit bouncy through some of the largest slow speed potholes.

So who else has gone "off-road" with their Ms? What were your experiences?
Same here. Shockingly good and pleasant on a dirt track. Going in, thought I'd come out of that trip with a slip disc, but no. It was awesome. Wife, baby and dog did not say a word.
Woof, woof.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #28
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:

So who else has gone "off-road" with their Ms?
Some say he’s still off-road

Appreciate 5
Transfer5251.00
Gdiddy23906.50
kzg19691299.00
DC X3M40i663.00
      07-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #29
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Quote:

So who else has gone "off-road" with their Ms?
Some say he’s still off-road

I assure you my tires were to spec.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #30
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Quote:
I bought my X3MC to be fast, fun, and a true sport activity vehicle. This includes using it on unpaved roads to get into the mountains with some frequency. Today I took it off the tarmac for the first time and up a 3200 foot ascent on a 10 mile potholed, washboarded, dusty forest service road to go mountain biking.

I was not expecting much and thought I would really not enjoy this car on these types of roads. Nonsense! It was fantastic! I kept it in comfort suspension, sport throttle, and manual shifting and it was a hoot without beating me up. Also no issues with ground clearance but there was nothing crazy on this road. I had two friends in the car and they were both surprised by the capability and the relative comfort even if it was a bit bouncy through some of the largest slow speed potholes.

So who else has gone "off-road" with their Ms? What were your experiences?
Yeah... you know I find when it gets bumpy, I just go faster... somehow it tightens up �� if she don't break, whatever.

Bikes bikes bikes, I see you like your 29s!! I just picked up a wicked cool trek eMTB. What kinda hitch carrier do you have there? Thule? How's it working out for you?
I have the same setup (stealth hitch) with the new Thule T2 Pro bike rack. I had the original T2 like OP but got out of biking for a while and sold all my stuff. The new T2 has a tensioner on the hitch as it's theft deterrent feature but also eliminates the rattle I had with the original version. I looked at Kuat and 1up and went back to what I knew worked. With that said, I know someone with a 1up and swears by it so can't go wrong either way.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #31
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for sharing, Transfer . Given the performance and handling characteristics of the F97, esp if in Comp form (or tuned) and without the moonroof and spare, I wouldn't agree it's a 'compromise vehicle' though, and I respectfully suggest you're selling it short by stating such. I understand your intent by writing that, and those who have dedicated small coupe and sedan track cars will agree with you, but if an experienced Driver has a track nearby, and has the extra funds for tires, brakes, and fluids, I have no doubt he/she won't be an embarrassment to the F97 ranks and will have a lot of fun with this vehicle. Ask j080808 how it handles around a track [vimeo.com/425355344].
Sorry I guess I didn't mean to say you *couldn't* take it to the track but my bias is why *would* you want to take it to the track. I agree, it is capable of track days and would be a surprising foe to some.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sorry I guess I didn't mean to say you *couldn't* take it to the track but my bias is why *would* you want to take it to the track. I agree, it is capable of track days and would be a surprising foe to some.
I took it a couple of times to the track just because I can. It’s really not bad, but it is definitely not a “track car” and it doesn’t need to be.
Appreciate 2
Transfer5251.00
      07-28-2020, 12:18 AM   #33
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

You don't need an X3M, any M car will do fine! First weekend I had mine I did about 50km on gravel.

At about 100mph the whole car go rather floaty though and felt like it wasn't touching the road.
Attached Images

07-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #34
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

I've been seriously considering selling my M for a new truck or SUV for this exact reason. Showing up at the base of a forestry/service road in the M3 gets a lot of laughs lol

I see you like your Transitions; I like my Pivots.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
AlexFL7836.00
Transfer5251.00
clee1982797.50
      07-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #35
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
I've been seriously considering selling my M for a new truck or SUV for this exact reason. Showing up at the base of a forestry/service road in the M3 gets a lot of laughs lol

Love the pics. What track are you using and how do you like it? I've been afraid to try the suction cup approach on my Austin Yellow M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #36
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
I've got two bikes and which one I'm on depends on the ride: the big rig which I rode yesterday is a Transition Sentinel, and the lightweight bike is a Transition Spur.
Nice setups, had the Push rear shock on my Nomad a while ago.

I am almost as addicted to M Cars as I am to bikes

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

IMG_20200122_101856_976 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Gratuitous M Car with bike shot

20191231_163012 by Sales Punk, on Flickr
Appreciate 2
Transfer5251.00
4everkidd645.50
      07-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #37
Vpp982
Rep
Drives: F80 6spd

I recently went camping just east of Sonora peak in California at 9,600' in my F80. It was exciting to say the least and everyone was amazed when we showed up. Everyone else had lifted 4x4s. I collected a bunch of small rocks in the diff cooling fins and the front passenger plastic jack point got mangled but otherwise that was the only trail damage sustained. I wouldn't recommend anyone take their M3 on that trail but it's cool to know you could.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #38
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpp982 View Post
I recently went camping just east of Sonora peak in California at 9,600' in my F80. It was exciting to say the least and everyone was amazed when we showed up. Everyone else had lifted 4x4s. I collected a bunch of small rocks in the diff cooling fins and the front passenger plastic jack point got mangled but otherwise that was the only trail damage sustained. I wouldn't recommend anyone take their M3 on that trail but it's cool to know you could.
Some of those "Forest Service Roads" would be a bit of a challenge, especially after the spring rains and snow melts. Wait until they're "graded" . Oh, and stay away from the "Rubicon Trail". Just suggesting ...

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #39
Vpp982
Rep
Drives: F80 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Quote:
Some of those "Forest Service Roads" would be a bit of a challenge, especially after the spring rains and snow melts. Wait until they're "graded" . Oh, and stay away from the "Rubicon Trail". Just suggesting ...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #40
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Rent an SUV next time

I cringe just reading your post
      07-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #41
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Attaboy! What kind of bike u got? I'm on a Trek top of the line something, but from 10 years ago!
Hahahahah

Reminds when I say I was an elite college sprinter in 1989
Appreciate 1
Transfer5251.00
      07-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #42
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post

Love the pics. What track are you using and how do you like it? I've been afraid to try the suction cup approach on my Austin Yellow M4.
I did the roof rack DIY and use the bmw rack. It's been speed tested to 240+km/hr with my Bike on it so I know it's solid haha

The roof rack diy is very simple, just take your time
And use a new bit on a dremel
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #43
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Only thing that would give me pause on anything other than dirt/gravel roads with some minor potholes would be the oil cooler. Not great placement to avoid a puncture..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #44
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Great views Transfer...

My X1 spends a fair amount of time down around Rainier and up at Baker. When I bought it at Seattle BMW, I said I had to make sure I could fit to sleep in the back at trailheads. They were surprised...I figure its #onelesssubaru
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
Transfer5251.00