BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
Scooteria681
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC & M2CS6mt

Short in stereo system??

I’ve had an interesting thing happen inside of my x3mc. A few days ago, I had what sounded like a turntable needle scratched across a vinyl record when playing the record coming out of my right sided front speakers for a few seconds while driving. (Hopefully, you understand what I mean by that.) yesterday, I had the same thing happen on and off for about 15 minutes driving to work. It occurred while streaming from phone, satellite radio, and fm radio. It was worse/louder when driving over rough roads. It sounds like an electrical short of some kind to me.
Anyone else had this happen?
I’m kind of getting annoyed with this vehicle as it was out of service for a couple weeks last winter with a turbo wastegate problem.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I seem to recall a thread here with a title similar to "this can't be normal" and the poster had a vid with a record scratch sound while driving.

See if you can find it via search.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Scooteria681
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much!
Great memory. It is exactly my problem.

Thread titled: This isn’t right. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Excellent!

Here is the thread for other people's reference:

This isn’t right. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
r32e9037.50
      08-02-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
Scooteria681
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Brought the vehicle into the dealer. They confirmed it was an ASU issue and not the stereo system. They ordered a new unit for replacement, and it is on back order from Germany. We pulled the fuse to the unit so the augmented sound is off (and no more annoying sound!)
It is amazing how much fake sound is piped into the cabin with it off now. It’s not so much in comfort/efficient mode, but when sport/sport plus is selected, there’s a decent amount of fake sound, especially the burbling sounds when braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Glad you got it worked out. It’s amazing that any effort at all was put into designing such a useless system.

I coded mine off as well as pulled the fuse. Reason being is everyone said you don’t get burbles but I think that has to do with the comp model as I still get them a lot in sport plus mode.

My only other wish is if you could set the default mode. I often found myself turning off the exhaust button which closes the flap (or seems to) even in comfort. When I was driving at 7 am to the train station I wanted a quiet ride.
Appreciate 0