BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2022, 08:58 PM   #1
SearsTurnSix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTI

First post - '22 X3MC ordered!

Hello X3/X4 Forums!

TL;DR – Looking to replace my '15 GTI with an SUV let me to blow-up my budget to a Macan or X3 M. Ended up ordering a ’22 X3MC after getting fed-up with the current used car market and falling in love with the S58. The Macan is amazing (and arguably better), but the X3 M is more fun and feels like the better value considering everything it can do.

---

Four months into my car search to replace my 2015 GTI (IS38, APR IC/DP) to upsize to 4-doors and add AWD for ski trips to Lake Tahoe, I've ruled out many $40k cars (Outback Wilderness was my favorite) and narrowed down to a Macan or X3M. Part of the challenge is I still love my GTI—and the compromise was to completely blow-out the budget.

The initial plan was to find a used '17/'18 Macan between $50-60k. However, the first two Macan's I test drove had major engine issues. The first one, being sold CPO by a local Porsche dealer needed a new engine ($35K !!) and the second sold by Shift in San Francisco, had an obvious case of the dreaded timing chain cover leak—its entire engine bay was coated in oil! Repairing this requires either removing the engine (per Porsche procedure) or complete front-end disassembly ($10k+ in labor). Incidentally, I’ve documented this and my car search over at Macan Forums. Now I’m here at X3/X4 forums.

Obviously, this put me off the 3.0L V6 Porsche engines. The ’19+ V6 Macan’s got an Audi V6, but used ‘19+ GTS Macan’s are listed at $90k+, a very poor financial decision IMO. Then I watched a YouTube review of the X3 M and immediately became fascinated with the S58 engine. It took several weeks before my curiosity drove me to test a '20 X3 M.

I assumed I would hate the X3 M based on its ride quality reputation. Instead, I thought it was hilarious and ridiculously fun. The S58 more than met my high expectations and I loved the sport seats and brakes. Yes, the X3 M ride isn’t a magic carpet like the Macan with air suspension, but the BMW offered way more character and excitement. I’ve test driven 7 Macan’s over the last month, and unlike the X3 M, I never felt the urge to drive them fast.

By happenstance, after test driving yet another Macan, I ended up at a BMW dealership to look at a CPO X3 M on offer but instead, put down a deposit on a new one. Why buy a used car when you can order a new one for the same price? Initially, it was a barebones build ($75k), but I added the Competition package this weekend. It completes the car, IMO; particularly the 892M wheels. It was easier to justify after realizing I was already $2k into the competition package with the sport seats. It’s almost as if BMW designs the options list to force the customer to upsell themselves?

My car is in the order bank, production date estimated for next month per my CA.

--

'22 X3MC
MBB metallic - $550
Competition Package - $7000
892M wheels, Sahkir Orange, Carbon Fiber
Driving Assistance Professional - $1,700
Front ventalliated sears - $350
Heated Steering Wheel - $190
M Shadowline Lights - $250
Red calipers - FREE!
Destination - $995
MSRP $81,135
--

That's my long winded way of saying hello. If you have any comments, suggestions, or advice--I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      04-04-2022, 09:21 PM   #2
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

you guys are lucky... in canada i had to pay $750 extra for red calipers (CAD... which converts to what ... $200 USD? LOL).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
Lifted
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

Good color combo
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #4
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2019 M2C

Congrats! Did you get a production # yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 10:27 PM   #5
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you are doing the comp model, just fully load it for another 2-3k, yolo.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #6
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your car. However, I totally disagree with your comment that a Macan is arguably better, my brother has a 2021 Macan GTS and it's cute, my niece woukd look better driving it. I have driven it and it was slow compared to my 21 X3MC.
I was not impressed in the least bit.

I am picking up my MBB X3MC next week, I am certain once my brother drives the 22 he will give his Macan GTS to his wife. The CA snapped this pick when the car arrived. I also did 892's with Red Calipers. Good choice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
HoJoRo315.50
      04-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Congratulations! Did the dealer have an allocation? I hope so or you’ll be waiting a very long time.

I have a similar spec but added the Exec package and M Drivers package I went Tartufo for interior color.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Bmw 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Congratulations! Did the dealer have an allocation? I hope so or you’ll be waiting a very long time.

I have a similar spec but added the Exec package and M Drivers package I went Tartufo for interior color.
Did you wait longer for tartufo?
2016 BMW X6
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

When I was shopping for a 2020, I was dead set on the Macan (S) until I drove it. It was so underpowered it was embarrassing (granted the GTS has slightly more power but not much). The inside and tech looked like 1950 and there was no passion to the drive. I like physical buttons but there were like a thousand lol. Also, I felt so cramped and like I was sitting on the floor looking up rather than through the windshield (I'm 6' tall).

I admit, in a looks competition I would pick it, but other than that it was a hard pass.

After test driving a X3MC (and scaring my g/f, salesman, and myself) by rifling through rush hour traffic using speed and maneuvering which was highly illegal, I promptly placed an order for the same price I would have paid for the lesser Macan S
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #10
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
It was ordered on September 3rd 2021 and the dealer had an allocation. Build date was 12/2. It arrived at the dealer on 12/15 and picked it up on 12/18. Tartufo has gotten harder to get since.

It’s important to ask the dealer if they have an allocation. If your salesman does not know ask for the sales manager. No allocation means it will not be scheduled for production until the dealer has one. Many salesman either don’t know or say they don’t know. Builds typically take 12 weeks once an order is placed by a dealer and they have an allocation. I hear Tartufo is adding 4 weeks as of last week. I’m bet it changes by the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 06:44 PM   #11
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bmw site says 12weeks... i ordered in Jan but my dealer said it would be march allocation which i was fine with as i am patient. I did not want to wait 3 extra months for seats. lol. Knowing what i know now i would have probably called around but didn't care. I live in nyc and BMW of Manhattan is very convenient so I chose to go with that.

Quote:
It was ordered on September 3rd 2021 and the dealer had an allocation. Build date was 12/2. It arrived at the dealer on 12/15 and picked it up on 12/18. Tartufo has gotten harder to get since.

It’s important to ask the dealer if they have an allocation. If your salesman does not know ask for the sales manager. No allocation means it will not be scheduled for production until the dealer has one. Many salesman either don’t know or say they don’t know. Builds typically take 12 weeks once an order is placed by a dealer and they have an allocation. I hear Tartufo is adding 4 weeks as of last week. I’m bet it changes by the day.
2016 BMW X6
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #12
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfz8 View Post
Bmw site says 12weeks... i ordered in Jan but my dealer said it would be march allocation which i was fine with as i am patient. I did not want to wait 3 extra months for seats. lol. Knowing what i know now i would have probably called around but didn't care. I live in nyc and BMW of Manhattan is very convenient so I chose to go with that.
Be thankful your patient…I have no such luck 😁

Glad the dealer was upfront about when he had an allocation. Wow, 12 weeks additional for Tartufo? If you ordered in Jan with a March allocation that means an ETA of June/July. If you went Tartufo might as well get a 23 since that would take you to an October delivery
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep

Haha im just living in the real world and know there is nothing in my power that will get me a x3m the way i want it quicker . Im being told end of this month or early may at the latest. Im so flipping excited. My first ever new car, First ever M. Every option in the book and built how I want it. Be ready for picture dumps all over this forum!!!!

Quote:
Be thankful your patient…I have no such luck 😁

Glad the dealer was upfront about when he had an allocation. Wow, 12 weeks additional for Tartufo? If you ordered in Jan with a March allocation that means an ETA of June/July. If you went Tartufo might as well get a 23 since that would take you to an October delivery
2016 BMW X6
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #14
SearsTurnSix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Congrats! Did you get a production # yet?
Not yet. I’m actually 5th a line in the order bank. I will be waiting for a few months and I’m OK with that. My CA said they get at least 1 allocation per week, if I understood correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
If you are doing the comp model, just fully load it for another 2-3k, yolo.
Good point. Yolo played into logic for adding Comp. The Executive Package doesn’t hold much appeal to me. I don’t want a moon roof and don’t care about the HUD. The executive package will help with resale because a lot of people do care about those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your car. However, I totally disagree with your comment that a Macan is arguably better, my brother has a 2021 Macan GTS and it's cute, my niece woukd look better driving it. I have driven it and it was slow compared to my 21 X3MC.
I was not impressed in the least bit.
Congrats on your new car! Agree, red against MBB livens up the understated BMW styling. I don’t disagree with your characterization of the Macan. The X3 M is way faster and more fun to drive. My “arguably better” was referencing the Macan’s ride quality and more subjective traits like styling and interior fit/finish/materials. Ultimately I ordered the X3 M and not an equivalently priced Macan because the BMW is much faster and a little bigger and more practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
When I was shopping for a 2020, I was dead set on the Macan (S) until I drove it. It was so underpowered it was embarrassing (granted the GTS has slightly more power but not much). The inside and tech looked like 1950 and there was no passion to the drive. I like physical buttons but there were like a thousand lol. Also, I felt so cramped and like I was sitting on the floor looking up rather than through the windshield (I'm 6' tall)..
Agree with all of that. The Macan puts me to sleep. The X3 M is for a youthful demographic. Macan does feel small, like my GTI. Some day I may value the sedate nature of the Macan.

Last edited by SearsTurnSix; 04-05-2022 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #15
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

Does the lack of any audio selection on the X3M builder mean that all of these are coming with base audio right now?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #16
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearsTurnSix View Post
Not yet. I’m actually 5th a line in the order bank. I will be waiting for a few months and I’m OK with that. My CA said they get at least 1 allocation per week, if I understood correctly.

Good point. Yolo played into logic for adding Comp. The Executive Package doesn’t hold much appeal to me. I don’t want a moon roof and don’t care about the HUD. The executive package will help with resale because a lot of people do care about those things.

Congrats on your new car! Agree, red against MBB livens up the understated BMW styling. I don’t disagree with your characterization of the Macan. The X3 M is way faster and more fun to drive. My “arguably better” was referencing the Macan’s ride quality and more subjective traits like styling and interior fit/finish/materials. Ultimately I ordered the X3 M and not an equivalently priced Macan because the BMW is much faster and a little bigger and more practical.

Agree with all of that. The Macan puts me to sleep. The X3 M is for a youthful demographic. Macan does feel small, like my GTI. Some day I may value the sedate nature of the Macan.
5th? I don't want to scare you, but I'd start calling other dealers looking for a 111 allocation (meaning they have a production # assigned). If you're 5th in line there is no way you're getting a 2022 IMO. Dealers may get one MAYBE two more 22' allocations if they are lucky. The plant changes to 23' in July...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #17
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
a dealership gets a certain number of allocations monthly. so depending on the size of the dealership, your CA may have a lot, little, or just one. that being said, allocations can be “traded” with other dealerships so your wait might shorten, depending on how quickly your CA wants your sale (though obviously, because of market conditions, that ain’t happening).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
Does the lack of any audio selection on the X3M builder mean that all of these are coming with base audio right now?
Harmon Kardon only.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
DG-X5168.00
      04-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #18
SearsTurnSix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
5th? I don't want to scare you, but I'd start calling other dealers looking for a 111 allocation (meaning they have a production # assigned). If you're 5th in line there is no way you're getting a 2022 IMO. Dealers may get one MAYBE two more 22' allocations if they are lucky. The plant changes to 23' in July...
Interesting. When I initially placed the order three weeks ago, I was 2nd in line at the dealership (I saw this on the screen, but unsure what I was looking at).

One week later I was told the order was placed and will be informed "when in production." This weekend the update was I was fifth in line in the "order bank". I may have been demoted b/c I requested changes to my order?

Can someone explain the ordering process? Are the "allocations" for production slots, or "order bank" slots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
a dealership gets a certain number of allocations monthly. so depending on the size of the dealership, your CA may have a lot, little, or just one. that being said, allocations can be “traded” with other dealerships so your wait might shorten, depending on how quickly your CA wants your sale (though obviously, because of market conditions, that ain’t happening).
This is BMW of SF. I doubt they are among the largest by volume, but they probably do relatively high volume on special vehicles like M cars. There are 15 BMW dealerships within an hours drive of where I live.

Last edited by SearsTurnSix; 04-06-2022 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 02:24 PM   #19
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:

Some day perhaps....but not today!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:20 PM   #20
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. When I initially placed the order three weeks ago, I was 2nd in line at the dealership (I saw this on the screen, but unsure what I was looking at).

One week later I was told the order was placed and will be informed "when in production." This weekend the update was I was fifth in line in the "order bank". I may have been demoted b/c I requested changes to my order?

Can someone explain the ordering process? Are the "allocations" for production slots, or "order bank" slots?
Your build sheet will indicate what your order status currently is. Sounds like you're 047 AKA Order queue without a production slot assigned. You need to find a dealer that has an actual production # allocation for sale. I called about 25 dealers within 50 miles of me to find one. Submitted my order Monday, was given a production # within minutes. My build sheet now says order status 111 - Accepted at AG. Now I'm just waiting for my production # to be scheduled for a build (April-May).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #21
Mrdonbonjovi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

For those calling around to dealers for allocation, any negotiation below MSRP available?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:26 AM   #22
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdonbonjovi View Post
For those calling around to dealers for allocation, any negotiation below MSRP available?
I called about 30 dealers in the tri-state area and frequently was told there is a 5-10k markup on all M products. This seemed to be a trend the more urban I got. Out in the burbs' it was no problem to find them @ MSRP, nothing under though.
Appreciate 0