BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2022, 07:21 AM   #287
md_m40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2020

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
After my confident post earlier today, I've noticed that all the low end from my sound is gone while using the bypass harness. There is some mention late in the thread that others experiencing this with the original ASD connector pulled alone. It appears that the same thing occurs with the bypass harness. I have reconnected the native ASD connector and repulled fuse 218. Anyone else experienced this with the bypass harness with MY21 or am I missing something?

K

Quote:
Great thread.

I have a MY21 x3m40i with HK and just performed the bypass harness procedure. Similar to the photos shared recently, my panel looked a bit different than the ones posted at the beginning of the thread. I was able to simply fit my fingers around the metal bracket and remove the connection to the ASD module (as shown). I then simply connected the harness as previously depicted. Removal of Fuse 218 was also successful for disabling the undesired noise but I did not look forward to reinstalling the fuse every time I went for service.

Some may ask why we want to do this other than from the viewpoint that fake engine noise is cheesy, but from the perspective of an amateur sound engineer, there is one real and basic reason: undesired low frequencies clash, create distortion, lower the overall appreciable volume of music and generally sound terrible. When mixing down, we as a rule filter away any undesired low frequencies (even if they are below the frequency range that humans can hear).

The only disappointing aspect of my car when I picked it up in Sept 2020 was the sound system, despite being HK. I have since personally performed the tweeter/midrange Bavsound swap and installed the ASD bypass harness. It sounds fantastic. I spend about an hour in commute every day, why skimp on quality during that valuable time? I still have to do the woofers, but that's next.

Thanks all,

K
I have a July 2020 build picked up Sept 2020, I used Bimmercode to code off ASD, fuse pl doesn't work on 2020 onwards. No detrimental impact to the HK side of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #288
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
After my confident post earlier today, I've noticed that all the low end from my sound is gone while using the bypass harness. There is some mention late in the thread that others experiencing this with the original ASD connector pulled alone. It appears that the same thing occurs with the bypass harness. I have reconnected the native ASD connector and repulled fuse 218. Anyone else experienced this with the bypass harness with MY21 or am I missing something?

K
Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread. Forgive me if you already know this, but on MY 2021 you can code ASD off using Bimmercode.

Since I started this thread several years ago, I have purchased Bimmercode myself and used it to code many things in addition to ASD off. I highly recommend it!

Last edited by TX3M; 06-23-2022 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:02 AM   #289
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread. Forgive me if you already know this, but on MY 2021 you can code ASD off using Bimmercode.

Since I started this thread several years ago, I have purchased Bimmercde myself and used it to code many things in addition to ASD off. I highly recommend it!
Am I the only one that doesn't get disabled using Bimmercode?

It only turns off for me if I use Bimmerlink, but obviously when I restart the car, it turns back on. If I use Bimmercode, it doesn't matter what setting I put on it, it's always active.

I have a MY21 M40i.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 08:27 AM   #290
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i, X3M40i, X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW 435i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't get disabled using Bimmercode?

It only turns off for me if I use Bimmerlink, but obviously when I restart the car, it turns back on. If I use Bimmercode, it doesn't matter what setting I put on it, it's always active.

I have a MY21 M40i.
Same. My '21 behaves just like yours.

'14 435i
'21 X3M40i
Appreciate 1
comber328.00
      06-28-2022, 03:22 AM   #291
Kinsella
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_m40i View Post
I have a July 2020 build picked up Sept 2020, I used Bimmercode to code off ASD, fuse pl doesn't work on 2020 onwards. No detrimental impact to the HK side of things.
I have now noticed that despite the fuse pull that the ASD is still there.

I have tried the bimmercode route before I went on the harness/fuse escapade, but never was able to get it to completely disable.

Does anyone know what fuse 218 does in the MY20 and later? Obviously not achieving the ASD goal, but it also doesn't seem to affect anything else... that I can tell.

K
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #292
Piki
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

As mentioned before for MY23 fuse 218 (ADS) is... absent - car comes without it from the factory.
Appreciate 0