BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #1
KenMarn
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X4 F26

X4 - Water Drainage for boot spoiler (not active)

Hi,

I've had a rear boot spoiler on my 2016 F26 X4 35d for around 4 years but have had to remove and re-install a couple times due to the tape starting to come away from painted boot lip.

Initial install I used 3M VHB tape and second time I used Tarzans Grip Mounting Tape.

Big tip, don't use Tarzans Grip Mounting Tape Clear or similar, because it's a clear tape with re-inforcing mesh, it was a true ba$tard to remove the excess left on painted surface and spoiler, it's not a foam type tape and it just leaves a caked on layer that's really hard to remove, I had to use Goo Gone Automotive Spray and plastic scraper. I cut highly absorbent kitchen cloth into 2" wide strips, placed over the tape residue and soaked with Goo Gone which is like a thin gel.

Anyway, back to my original query.

I love the look of the rear boot spoiler but the thing I HATE is that it traps the water, dirt and other stuff from draining off the boot and I've found that if the dust builds up a little, even when washing using a noodle car sponge, over time you get paint scratches running parallel to the spoilers inner lip.

Has anyone created drainage slots under the boot spoiler by not placing tape to enable the water to drain under the spoiler and down the outer boot edge?

By creating air spaces between the painted boot and bottom of spoiler, is it possible that water condensation may harm or rust the painted surface.

Last edited by KenMarn; 04-06-2023 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0