BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2017, 02:50 AM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Is this normal for all anti-dazzle coded LED cars? Or does this sound like the "bad F30 style" coding some have mentioned is often mistakenly coded into F15/F25 cars?
The F030's lack the optic microshutters. Your situation could be related to incorrect coding or limitations of the system and the speeds/roads on which you are driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #24
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
I coded the variable lighting and anti-dazzle on my LED headlights, as both are decoded here in Canada.

I noticed that if I have my fog lights on, then the auto mode simply enables or disables the high beams as it does with anti-dazzle decoded . However, with the fog lights off, then the "anti-dazzle" mode does work and does the whole variable euro style headlights.
I too have noticed this behavior. In a recent conversation with Almaretto I mentioned this. He seemed genuinely surprised. So, Al, can we look at this limitation when you return, please.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #25
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
I coded the variable lighting and anti-dazzle on my LED headlights, as both are decoded here in Canada.

I noticed that if I have my fog lights on, then the auto mode simply enables or disables the high beams as it does with anti-dazzle decoded . However, with the fog lights off, then the "anti-dazzle" mode does work and does the whole variable euro style headlights.
+1 here. I haven't heard if this is normal euro spec behaviour or if there is away around it

Quote:
The problem I've noticed is that approaching a car from behind, about 150 feet back the anti-dazzle swithces back to low beams, but as this happens the right headlight moves from the right > back to the center position in about half a second during which it sweeps the car I'm approaching in what seems like a high beam wave.
Seems like incorrect coding. Any time mine sweeps, its always in low beam mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C (F90)

Anxious to here what the final answer is on this...I was thinking about having Almaretto code mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i MY17

Odd to read this. Every time I go out at night, I have my Euro-coded Adaptive LED functioning have have yet to ever be flashed with oncoming traffic and I can clearly see the "darkness" created by the beams moving around a car that I'm approaching. It works properly even in curves and the camera is properly tracking the vehicle in front. This is with fog lights on or off (but I have to admit I rarely use the fog lights).
      02-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimpfor View Post
Odd to read this. Every time I go out at night, I have my Euro-coded Adaptive LED functioning have have yet to ever be flashed with oncoming traffic and I can clearly see the "darkness" created by the beams moving around a car that I'm approaching. It works properly even in curves and the camera is properly tracking the vehicle in front. This is with fog lights on or off (but I have to admit I rarely use the fog lights).
Interesting. Your X4 is presumably a Canada spec vehicle. So far the issue (Euro-coding of LED headlights not working with fogs on) has only been reported by owners of US spec cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:25 AM   #29
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
I too have noticed this behavior. In a recent conversation with Almaretto I mentioned this. He seemed genuinely surprised. So, Al, can we look at this limitation when you return, please.
Is this at all speeds?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #30
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Is this at all speeds?
Yes -at all speeds. Will double check this in next few days and PM you.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #31
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes -at all speeds. Will double check this in next few days and PM you.
Mainly wondering about over 43 mph
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #32
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimpfor View Post
I believe I have isolated the issue where the fog lights turn off the NGHB and Auto HB.

- If I turn on the fog lights BEFORE activating the Auto HB, everything works; fog lights and NGHB can coexist .
- However, if I activate the Auto HB first, then turn on the fog lights, the Auto HB and thus NGHB turns off, i.e. Fogs and Auto HB can not coexist.

In summary it appears the sequence with which you activate the lights, makes a difference. This would explain why we are experiencing different behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #33
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I believe I have isolated the issue where the fog lights turn off the NGHB and Auto HB.

- If I turn on the fog lights BEFORE activating the Auto HB, everything works; fog lights and NGHB can coexist .
- However, if I activate the Auto HB first, then turn on the fog lights, the Auto HB and thus NGHB turns off, i.e. Fogs and Auto HB can not coexist.

In summary it appears the sequence with which you activate the lights, makes a difference. This would explain why we are experiencing different behaviour.
Great Finding!
I will test this out tonight. In my case, the Auto HB always works regardless of the sequence when fogs are turned on. What does not work is NGHB with fogs on. But I always turn on fogs after the Auto HB so I will test what happens when fogs are turned on first then the Auto HB. I'll report my findings as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #34
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Tonight, I am unable to repeat the behavior I described above. I am back to: fog lights on = no NGHB. Period.

I did notice that with light switch in full clockwise position, instead of the normal "Auto" (full anti clockwise), I have no Auto HB nor NGHB.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #35
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Great Finding!
I will test this out tonight. In my case, the Auto HB always works regardless of the sequence when fogs are turned on. What does not work is NGHB with fogs on. But I always turn on fogs after the Auto HB so I will test what happens when fogs are turned on first then the Auto HB. I'll report my findings as well.
Anxious to hear whether you had any luck making it work (fogs and NGHB on simultaneously).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #36
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Anxious to hear whether you had any luck making it work (fogs and NGHB on simultaneously).
I tested this out tonight and I got the same result as you. NGHB only works with fogs off. And the headlamp switch has to be on auto (all the way tot he left) for NGHB to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #37
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:

After another night drive on a dark road with occasional oncoming traffic, I have concluded that my first point above should have read:

- If I turn on the fog lights BEFORE activating the Auto HB, fog lights and **Auto HB** can coexist.

It would be interesting to hear from someone with a Euro-spec car with Adaptive LED lights. Can their Fogs and NGHB coexist?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #38
Spoolin55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Garage List
Anyway to have the Fogs come on separate of the headlights?

Also is there a way to have them come on simultaneously with the headlights?
      06-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #39
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin55 View Post
Anyway to have the Fogs come on separate of the headlights?

Also is there a way to have them come on simultaneously with the headlights?
Those two things are opposites. First one occurs from factory. Second is possible, but you lose ability to toggle.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #40
Spoolin55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Those two things are opposites. First one occurs from factory. Second is possible, but you lose ability to toggle.
As far as the first question I meant the ability to have the fog lights on without the headlights being on for like daytime running use for aesthetic.

When I turn on fogs now all lights turn on.

And as far as the second I am intrigued I feel like fogs should be on with the headlights automatically when the headlights come on at "night"
      06-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #41
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin55 View Post
As far as the first question I meant the ability to have the fog lights on without the headlights being on for like daytime running use for aesthetic.

When I turn on fogs now all lights turn on.

And as far as the second I am intrigued I feel like fogs should be on with the headlights automatically when the headlights come on at "night"
If you think it looks "cool" to always run your fogs during the day or at night, you are welcome to toggle them.

There is coding for them to automatically come on with headlamps, but then you lose ability to toggle.

In some areas, it is illegal and you may get ticketed running fogs for anything except designated purpose. I imagine that plays into the way they are coded from factory. It also can be glaring for other drivers.

Personally, I turn off my DRL's most of the time and only use fogs when there is fog. But, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #42
ENDY03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E92 White

Hi Almaretto

Im in LA and planning to replace my hid headlights with the 2017 led headlights. Im pretty sure I'll need coding for it, can do the job?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #43
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDY03 View Post
Hi Almaretto

Im in LA and planning to replace my hid headlights with the 2017 led headlights. Im pretty sure I'll need coding for it, can do the job?
You replaced factory headlamps with HID and now you are installing new OEM LED's?

As long as it is an Fxx/Ixx/Gxx-series BMW, I can code for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #44
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Codemycar.com. The best, and done remotely.
Appreciate 0