BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

X4.... Day 2.... Learning.... Observations...

Had fun driving my shiny (nearly new) freshly detailed X4 away from the dealership yesterday... in the rain.

Had lots of fun driving it around town today doing my messages. Will take a bit of getting used to after all of my years in 5 series cars.

First impressions had me missing 2 things... the pull handles above the doors, and the absence of comfort access on the rear door handles. Checked in a new X3 and the pull handles are there at all 4 doors. I wonder why they wer left off of this model.

Pretty much completed all of my personal settings... set the hatch to one notch below highest to avoid altercation with my garage ceiling. Anyone know if there is any harm in pushing the hatch up higher manually when the need is called for. My 2010 550 GT had a button to push to raise it higher.

I had 2 bags of "stuff" from my 5 series that I endeavoured to transfer to the X4 tonight, and found a few more surprises. First off, there is a lack of map pocket on the front seatbacks, or storage in the rear center armrest. I have always had a few things tucked away in those spots in the past... Secondly, there is no change compartment anywhere... am I missing something? Thirdly, there is neither a lock on the center console storage compartment, nor a valet lockout switch for the rear hatchback. Maybe it makes less sense in a hatchback than a regular "trunk" variety car...

Just my observations. Much of this can possibly be because the X4 is a stepdown in luxury from the 5. Its funny what you get used to over the years. I am the type of guy that can part with a car and never look back... its like I have already forgotten the 535 in all other respects.

Love the big thick steering wheel and the handling. No shortage of power. Love sitting higher up on the road, and the ease of entry and exit. I almost can't wait for winter to see how whe handles the snow!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

Hi congrats with your new X4! Great car!

Bmw doesn't include door handles in any of their coupe versions, even if they are four door coupes. There are none in the X4, 4 GC, 6 GC and i'm pretty sure none in the X6 either (haven't been in one yet).

The hatchback is great and there is no harm in manually raising the hight if required. You can also stop the hatch from raising manually by holding it and the pressure will force the hatch to stop if you might get in a tighter space than usual.

Although every BMW seems identical in the inside, there are differences of course. Some are better, others slightly worse. It's all familiar but some things you might miss when changing cars. But you'll enjoy the X4 for sure even without these minor things missing!
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

There's a mini-glove compartment on the driver's side to the left of the steering wheel. Maybe you can put some stuff there? I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but a buddy with an x3 found it, and made a facebook post about making a new discovery on his 2 year old car.

Yes, you can't lock out the trunk on this car. I think because it's too easy to access the contents of the trunk from the rear seat. You can only lock the glovebox.

I do think the car should have "oh sh*t" handles, especially since it's taller than a standard car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

For the life of me I can't find the mini glove compartment you are referring to. All closed panels. I would love to see photos.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
X4 is a stepdown in luxury from the 5?

Sorry that you feel your X4 is a "Stepdown." Perhaps you should have kept your 535. Other posters have responded to some of your questions about "missing" features. It appears your idea of what is missing is more about your lack of knowledge about the X4 or BMWs build philosophy. Unlike yourself, I don't find a "lack" of a change compartment to be a "stepdown of luxury" as if you really need to have "change" within your immediate reach, there is a very nice storage drawer/compartment in your dash that if you still can't find, you might want to read your owners manual. No X3 or X4 has ever had a locking center console. In fact, the one on my X4 with the cell phone base receiver in place has about as much "storage" space as a bar of soap so a lock is quite unnecessary. This isn't a question of "luxury" but one of available room. "My 2010 550 GT had a button to push to raise it higher." your X4 has two controls ( ore luxury?) to do the same. The one on the hatch will do that plus you can do that from your control screen in settings. No "valet" switch for the hatchback? "Maybe it makes less sense in a hatchback than a regular "trunk" variety car." Yuh think! Since on the X3 and to a lesser degree on the X4 you can reach behind the seat back or just fold them down, having a separate function to lock that hatch would be a bit useless, but again, maybe that is what you feel luxury is? If your wanted what appears to be the "luxury" you were looking for, you should have at the 535s X counterpart the X5 or the X4's counterpart the X6. You might have got that change compartment you needed. Hope you learn to enjoy your X4. This is my 3rd of the X3/4 series with 2 M Sports and now an X4M and since we like "small" cars, it fits in nicely with my wife's 135i MSport and my 2001 M Roadster. But my M Roadster does have a change compartment for it's touch of "luxury." Enjoy the ride.

QUOTE=bobmos;19872506]Had fun driving my shiny (nearly new) freshly detailed X4 away from the dealership yesterday... in the rain.

Had lots of fun driving it around town today doing my messages. Will take a bit of getting used to after all of my years in 5 series cars.

First impressions had me missing 2 things... the pull handles above the doors, and the absence of comfort access on the rear door handles. Checked in a new X3 and the pull handles are there at all 4 doors. I wonder why they wer left off of this model.

Pretty much completed all of my personal settings... set the hatch to one notch below highest to avoid altercation with my garage ceiling. Anyone know if there is any harm in pushing the hatch up higher manually when the need is called for. My 2010 550 GT had a button to push to raise it higher.

I had 2 bags of "stuff" from my 5 series that I endeavoured to transfer to the X4 tonight, and found a few more surprises. First off, there is a lack of map pocket on the front seatbacks, or storage in the rear center armrest. I have always had a few things tucked away in those spots in the past... Secondly, there is no change compartment anywhere... am I missing something? Thirdly, there is neither a lock on the center console storage compartment, nor a valet lockout switch for the rear hatchback. Maybe it makes less sense in a hatchback than a regular "trunk" variety car...

Just my observations. Much of this can possibly be because the X4 is a stepdown in luxury from the 5. Its funny what you get used to over the years. I am the type of guy that can part with a car and never look back... its like I have already forgotten the 535 in all other respects.

Love the big thick steering wheel and the handling. No shortage of power. Love sitting higher up on the road, and the ease of entry and exit. I almost can't wait for winter to see how whe handles the snow![/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Jazzster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i (Melbourne Red)

I didn't take the OP's comments as suggested he was unhappy with his X4. Quite the opposite in fact. I think he was just pointing out a few differences he noticed- perhaps nice touches in another vehicle that aren't found in the X4 but clearly, he's enjoying his new ride. Nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
For the life of me I can't find the mini glove compartment you are referring to. All closed panels. I would love to see photos.
You have to add the storage compartment option, which you did not and why its missing along with storage behind the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Wife has 2016 X4, I've owned the X3 and imo it is a big step down from X5 and X6 in terms of interior fit, finish and luxury. Its also now dated in spite of LCI efforts.

BMW has to step-up their interior game in this segment. Well behind Porsche, Audi and MB. No reason the bits from the bigger bros cant filter down to the lighter, smaller siblings.

That said, they are wonderful drivers and the 40i Msport is a beast.

I'm looking forward to the next gen with hope that BMW closes the gap vs competition on some key attributes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpc View Post
Sorry that you feel your X4 is a "Stepdown." Perhaps you should have kept your 535. Other posters have responded to some of your questions about "missing" features. It appears your idea of what is missing is more about your lack of knowledge about the X4 or BMWs build philosophy. Unlike yourself, I don't find a "lack" of a change compartment to be a "stepdown of luxury" as if you really need to have "change" within your immediate reach, there is a very nice storage drawer/compartment in your dash that if you still can't find, you might want to read your owners manual. No X3 or X4 has ever had a locking center console. In fact, the one on my X4 with the cell phone base receiver in place has about as much "storage" space as a bar of soap so a lock is quite unnecessary. This isn't a question of "luxury" but one of available room. "My 2010 550 GT had a button to push to raise it higher." your X4 has two controls ( ore luxury?) to do the same. The one on the hatch will do that plus you can do that from your control screen in settings. No "valet" switch for the hatchback? "Maybe it makes less sense in a hatchback than a regular "trunk" variety car." Yuh think! Since on the X3 and to a lesser degree on the X4 you can reach behind the seat back or just fold them down, having a separate function to lock that hatch would be a bit useless, but again, maybe that is what you feel luxury is? If your wanted what appears to be the "luxury" you were looking for, you should have at the 535s X counterpart the X5 or the X4's counterpart the X6. You might have got that change compartment you needed. Hope you learn to enjoy your X4. This is my 3rd of the X3/4 series with 2 M Sports and now an X4M and since we like "small" cars, it fits in nicely with my wife's 135i MSport and my 2001 M Roadster. But my M Roadster does have a change compartment for it's touch of "luxury." Enjoy the ride.

QUOTE=bobmos;19872506]Had fun driving my shiny (nearly new) freshly detailed X4 away from the dealership yesterday... in the rain.

Love the big thick steering wheel and the handling. No shortage of power. Love sitting higher up on the road, and the ease of entry and exit. I almost can't wait for winter to see how whe handles the snow!
[/QUOTE]
      05-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=bmwpc;19958829]Sorry that you feel your X4 is a "Stepdown." Perhaps you should have kept your 535. Other posters have responded to some of your questions about "missing" features. It appears your idea of what is missing is more about your lack of knowledge about the X4 or BMWs build philosophy. Unlike yourself, I don't find a "lack" of a change compartment to be a "stepdown of luxury" as if you really need to have "change" within your immediate reach, there is a very nice storage drawer/compartment in your dash that if you still can't find, you might want to read your owners manual. No X3 or X4 has ever had a locking center console. In fact, the one on my X4 with the cell phone base receiver in place has about as much "storage" space as a bar of soap so a lock is quite unnecessary. This isn't a question of "luxury" but one of available room. "My 2010 550 GT had a button to push to raise it higher." your X4 has two controls ( ore luxury?) to do the same. The one on the hatch will do that plus you can do that from your control screen in settings. No "valet" switch for the hatchback? "Maybe it makes less sense in a hatchback than a regular "trunk" variety car." Yuh think! Since on the X3 and to a lesser degree on the X4 you can reach behind the seat back or just fold them down, having a separate function to lock that hatch would be a bit useless, but again, maybe that is what you feel luxury is? If your wanted what appears to be the "luxury" you were looking for, you should have at the 535s X counterpart the X5 or the X4's counterpart the X6. You might have got that change compartment you needed. Hope you learn to enjoy your X4. This is my 3rd of the X3/4 series with 2 M Sports and now an X4M and since we like "small" cars, it fits in nicely with my wife's 135i MSport and my 2001 M Roadster. But my M Roadster does have a change compartment for it's touch of "luxury." Enjoy the ride.

Your response is so highly presumptive... it borders on hostile.

Merely observations on my part, I can't imagine why they ticked you off.
Appreciate 0