BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

Washer reservoir filter blocked / washers not working

Hi All,

As per the title, I’ve just spent the afternoon removing the washer reservoir to enable access to the pump / filter.

I guess I could’ve done a pictorial walkthrough, but that was an after thought!

Anyway, I thought it would be a useful title to have for anyone’s future reference - happy to answer any questions, provide advice, point out any pitfalls for anyone with a similar problem.

There is advice elsewhere that suggests blowing air back through to dislodge the gummed up slime from the filter, but I see this as a temporary fix. The best way is to remove the reservoir and give things a good clean.

It’s not a particularly difficult job for anyone used to doing their own spannering, it requires removing the RH front wheel arch liner and various other trim bits and pieces.

The car (pre LCI Premier Pro) is still in its warranty period and others have suggested it’s a warranty claim. I’d be a bit dubious knowing how awkward some U.K. dealers are, especially given their advice is to only use BMW washer fluid - hence deciding to do it myself.

As I say, any questions or advice - happy to help out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:09 AM   #2
Daimlermg
Private
Rep
Drives: Msport pro LCi

I am surprised it’s blocked so quickly it’s not something I can remember having to do on a car.
Do you have any idea what caused the buildup?.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:25 AM   #3
Bluefoz
Private
Rep

I’m as surprised as you, we bought the car when it was about a year old as a BMW Approved Used car with 8k miles, so have no idea what the previous owner may have used as washer fluid!

I’ve experienced it other BMW’s before but never in such a relatively new car. The filter was totally gummed up with slime and there was similar stuff floating about in the fluid that I drained.

What bugs me is how inaccessible the pump is, I get that the way the design is that it’s tough to conceal a 5 litre bottle, but the pump is actually tucked away in a recess on the inside of the reservoir. If they had mounted it on the other side of the reservoir you could access it behind the triangular silver cover panel on the front wing / fender….
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:34 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoz View Post
The car (pre LCI Premier Pro) is still in its warranty period and others have suggested it’s a warranty claim. I’d be a bit dubious knowing how awkward some U.K. dealers are, especially given their advice is to only use BMW washer fluid - hence deciding to do it myself.
I've heard this before about UK dealers refusing to fix washer problems due to non-BMW washer fluid being used. However, there is nothing in the owner manual or warranty docs that states that BMW washer fluid must be used.

That said, it is bizarre that a 2 year old car gets clogged up like that. I've never had to strip out and clean the washer bottle in 35 years of motoring. What on earth was the previous owner using?! Jam???
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 07:32 AM   #5
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

I've heard this previously, so only ever use BMW. I know it's a con but they won't catch me out with that crap if it happens to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:49 AM   #6
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Funny enough I visited the local BMW dealer and asked about screenwadh, he asked why I just didn’t buy it from Costco or Halfords, when I told him about the stories I’d heard about blocking, he said what a load of nonsense and he always just puts in whatever is at hand, he was the sales manager lol 😂
      03-26-2024, 11:41 AM   #7
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
Funny enough I visited the local BMW dealer and asked about screenwadh, he asked why I just didn’t buy it from Costco or Halfords, when I told him about the stories I’d heard about blocking, he said what a load of nonsense and he always just puts in whatever is at hand, he was the sales manager lol 😂
Now that's funny.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #8
Bluefoz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I've heard this before about UK dealers refusing to fix washer problems due to non-BMW washer fluid being used. However, there is nothing in the owner manual or warranty docs that states that BMW washer fluid must be used.

That said, it is bizarre that a 2 year old car gets clogged up like that. I've never had to strip out and clean the washer bottle in 35 years of motoring. What on earth was the previous owner using?! Jam???
I’ve only experienced it a couple of times in my 42 years of motoring - the first was in a 40 year old Jeep, but that involved unbolting an easily accessible bottle and giving it a quick swill! The second was my son’s 7 year old 1 Series.

There’s all sorts of theories about algae / bacterial growth due to lack of use or engine warmth (wouldn’t be an issue in an EV). My problem is more the lack of access or ease of maintenance…. Oh well, if it happens again I could probably do the job in about an hour and a half!
Appreciate 0