BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2024, 11:57 AM   #23
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

My next step is to find a dealer that is nice to deal with....

Any one have any suggestions, Im based in the midlands but I can go anywhere to get the right car and level of service.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:23 AM   #24
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyhaggis View Post
Thanks for your all your input.

Didnt know the seats where different. BMW like to mix things up dont they. I always used to go for top of the range as a default but I realise now its not always best - as you say each to their own.

IX - still need to try one but the only way Id get away with it would be to lie to my wife and tell her its the same size as the X3. I dont think Id get away with that:-) The only reason for me to consider the IX is the bigger range. Saying that I dont really go anywhere but local. Maybe a couple of times a year I take a trip in the car, maybe one of them would require charging on the way (other destinations already have chargers).

Its a minefield :-)

The X3 is the right size, Id prefer a longer range and 4wd but I like the way BWMs drive so wanted to stick with BMW. Only cars Ive had the are better to drive are Porsches but Im avoiding them due to ... well too many reasons to list, mainly due to the fact Porsche seem to be able to make a large car very small on the inside.

I wouldnt quite know where Id go if it wasnt an IX3 or at a push an IX. Maybe wait till 2025?
Great choices to have and all are great. As far as i am aware the IX has lower range than the IX3 (around 30 miles less) unless you are talking IX 50 which is a massive price difference anyway.

The other thing that would put me off IX is marginally smaller boot than IX3 but much bigger car! and it doesn't handle as well as the IX3. The Ix3 handles really well and fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 05:06 AM   #25
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks the more I think about it the more Im slipping away from an IX1 or IX to the IX3. Other options are availalbe with better range and are quicker and Im sure more will come into the market over the next 12-234 months.

But I dont really need anything uber fast any 220 miles is enough for what I need 98% of the time. I cant drive more than 2 hours without a break anyway Im jsut not that hard core anymore :-). Ive done my time of 35k miles a year and 5 hours a day behind the wheel.

Keep it simple thats what I say so the IX3 in the nicest possible way is probably ticking every box apart from 4wd and I can live with that with winter tyres and a driver clearing strategy if it does snow!

I need to find a blue one - thats my wifes only car criteria (I wish my life was that simple):-)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #26
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

You’re in a similar situation that I was earlier in the year. Changing out my wife’s 225xe (after dipping a toe into the plug-in hybrid world). Full electric was the way to go + we hardly ever do more than 180 miles in a day and it’s usually less than 50.

Bought outright a year old iX3 Premier Edition Pro as a BMW ex demo, 8k miles for £46k. The MSport Pro with an almost identical spec was around £5k more and despite when it comes to selling I may get a few more quid, it didn’t seem worth the extra for different rear lights (which I don’t like too much), a start button in a different place and a heated steering wheel!

I wouldn’t consider the lower spec, despite it being still very well equipped, having had head up display in my last couple of cars, I wouldn’t be without it - my wife is now also a convert after the initial “it’s a gimmick” attitude.

HK speakers are also better although the gesture control is (in my opinion) pointless; I clearly use my hands too much when talking and the volume is forever going up and down / tracks skipping etc…!

The car has been faultless, now have 22k miles, the dog loves it, get on Octopus Intelligent + an Ohme charger and enjoy 2.5p per mile motoring with cheap rate (7.5p regularly during the day for the rest of your house, if you use the system properly). I would also thoroughly recommend a Titan Covers boot liner, tailor made perfect fit.

Most BM dealers are similar (I’m in the midlands but bought ours from Dick Lovett Swindon), you won’t get much discount if the price is already good, the best I negotiated was all weather mats and a rubber boot liner thrown in. If you’re after an ex demo make sure things like the cables, boot net etc are all present & correct.

On the Pro version the only extras available are Laser Lights (although the adaptive standard versions are already really good) and a towbar.

The brakes will squeak when slow manoeuvring which is annoying but probably a result of the pads not being used too much due to the regen. Putting it in neutral and heavy braking from speed will clean the pads up and get rid of the squeak, but it’ll return! This time of year you’ll get an estimated range of about 200miles that will increase by 30-50ish in the warmer months. I’ve regularly seen 4miles/kwh in the warmer months (which equates to a range just over 300, in the winter achieving 3miles/kwh is good going which is around 230.

It’s a great car.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 11:56 AM   #27
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoz View Post
You’re in a similar situation that I was earlier in the year. Changing out my wife’s 225xe (after dipping a toe into the plug-in hybrid world). Full electric was the way to go + we hardly ever do more than 180 miles in a day and it’s usually less than 50.

Bought outright a year old iX3 Premier Edition Pro as a BMW ex demo, 8k miles for £46k. The MSport Pro with an almost identical spec was around £5k more and despite when it comes to selling I may get a few more quid, it didn’t seem worth the extra for different rear lights (which I don’t like too much), a start button in a different place and a heated steering wheel!

I wouldn’t consider the lower spec, despite it being still very well equipped, having had head up display in my last couple of cars, I wouldn’t be without it - my wife is now also a convert after the initial “it’s a gimmick” attitude.

HK speakers are also better although the gesture control is (in my opinion) pointless; I clearly use my hands too much when talking and the volume is forever going up and down / tracks skipping etc…!

The car has been faultless, now have 22k miles, the dog loves it, get on Octopus Intelligent + an Ohme charger and enjoy 2.5p per mile motoring with cheap rate (7.5p regularly during the day for the rest of your house, if you use the system properly). I would also thoroughly recommend a Titan Covers boot liner, tailor made perfect fit.

Most BM dealers are similar (I’m in the midlands but bought ours from Dick Lovett Swindon), you won’t get much discount if the price is already good, the best I negotiated was all weather mats and a rubber boot liner thrown in. If you’re after an ex demo make sure things like the cables, boot net etc are all present & correct.

On the Pro version the only extras available are Laser Lights (although the adaptive standard versions are already really good) and a towbar.

The brakes will squeak when slow manoeuvring which is annoying but probably a result of the pads not being used too much due to the regen. Putting it in neutral and heavy braking from speed will clean the pads up and get rid of the squeak, but it’ll return! This time of year you’ll get an estimated range of about 200miles that will increase by 30-50ish in the warmer months. I’ve regularly seen 4miles/kwh in the warmer months (which equates to a range just over 300, in the winter achieving 3miles/kwh is good going which is around 230.

It’s a great car.
Thanks that’s great info.

I’ve some time next weekend to have a look at one so I’ll search the bmw used car search this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:41 AM   #28
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
The MSport Pro with an almost identical spec was around £5k more and despite when it comes to selling I may get a few more quid, it didn’t seem worth the extra for different rear lights (which I don’t like too much)
I agree - I prefer the styling of the Premier over the M Sport. The latter gets a bit angular for my taste.

Quote:
Head up display is definitely something I would want in my next car. And BMW seem to have implemented it well here.

Quote:
gesture control is (in my opinion) pointless; I clearly use my hands too much when talking and the volume is forever going up and down / tracks skipping etc…!
I disabled it as soon as the novelty factor (and showing off to friends) had worn off. And I also disabled the iconic sounds.

Quote:
On the Premier and Premier Pro, the towbar and adaptive M suspension were the only options. They came fully loaded with all options. At the time of ordering, I specced an X3 with the same options, and it was very close in price to the iX3 Prem Pro.

The Premier came with Adaptive LED headlights, and the Premier Pro with BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights. No idea what the difference is (if anything). Laser Lights were brought in with the M Sport model as an option. I have to say that the adaptive LED headlights are the best I have had - I thought the Audi version was good, but these are even better.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 09:23 AM   #29
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Keep it simple thats what I say so the IX3 in the nicest possible way is probably ticking every box apart from 4wd and I can live with that with winter tyres and a driver clearing strategy if it does snow!
Hello,

I’ve driven in ice conditions for the first time this year and it reminded me of how I’d describe the situation with the iX3 RWD compared to my Ford Kuga AWD.
Personally, I’d describe the driving situation involving snow and ice as “you feel it more, but handles it the same if not better” in comparison with the ICE car, if you get what I mean?

Unless you’re driving off road, on farm tracks and in the countryside up and down steep gradients, the iX3 on winter tyres is sufficient for more urban, town and city driving which are mostly treated roads for example.

Knowing what I know now about winter tyres, my personal opinion and circumstances are that I’d rather pay to keep switching between winter and summer tyres every season, which is overall cheaper than the extra £10,000+ or thereabouts for an AWD variant of the same car.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 11:45 AM   #30
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeXi View Post
Hello,

I’ve driven in ice conditions for the first time this year and it reminded me of how I’d describe the situation with the iX3 RWD compared to my Ford Kuga AWD.
Personally, I’d describe the driving situation involving snow and ice as “you feel it more, but handles it the same if not better” in comparison with the ICE car, if you get what I mean?

Unless you’re driving off road, on farm tracks and in the countryside up and down steep gradients, the iX3 on winter tyres is sufficient for more urban, town and city driving which are mostly treated roads for example.

Knowing what I know now about winter tyres, my personal opinion and circumstances are that I’d rather pay to keep switching between winter and summer tyres every season, which is overall cheaper than the extra £10,000+ or thereabouts for an AWD variant of the same car.

Many thanks,
My first set of winters were fitted to a Porsche 996 I owned about 20 years ago. It actually did quite well on summers in snow due to the rear weight but with the winters I was amazed at how many 4wd cars etc I left in snow drifts. It made the difference between getting home and not getting home (when I used to commute long distances).

Ive used winters ever since.

Im assuming that the extra rear axle weight and E-motor helps with traction.

As for driving, I dont live on a farm track, just a normal slightly rural village. I just want to get home and not get stuck if it snows. The main issue is my drive which is on a slope but I always clear and grit as a rule so it shouldnt be a problem. I guess 4wd is more of a tick box item, after the audi quattros came out it was something car manufactures included to sell more expensive cars but as you say tyres are more important.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:34 AM   #31
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

GM all

Ive just had a call with Simon from Broadspeed. That was interesting. His thoughts are that BMW have made too many cars for the market and therefore there is a lot to sell.

He thinks there are better deals to be had on the IX40 and quoted around 50k for a 10 month old car with 3000 miles.

On the IX3 he thinks the same age and model equivalent is around 39-40k and these prices might improve in March when BMW are moving towards quarter end.

Thats just nuts. Those prices are 5-8k less than from a BWM dealer and 20+k less than a new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:43 AM   #32
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all,

hope you are well.

Ive just contacted the broker I mentioned above - as its quarter end. Hes now telling me that BWM have got rid of their over stock and he cant get a discounted price any more.

Typical as 4 weeks ago a good deal could be had.

He has suggested an IX would still be heavily discounted as BWM have stock to shift.

Frustrated - Im not sure quite how prices of cars can fluctuate that much in 4 weeks.

Has anyone else heard of this - ie BMW reducing supply of IX3s to sure up the price?

thanks

Last edited by shandyhaggis; 03-09-2024 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:54 AM   #33
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Hi

Just had a look on Autotrader and there’s 90 cars available 23 reg or newer, 76 of which are from BMW dealers. Cheapest are two 23 reg M sports, one for £42k with 12k miles and one for 43k with 5k miles, not sure if helpful but seems quite a few available….
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 03:25 AM   #34
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai888 View Post
Hi

Just had a look on Autotrader and there’s 90 cars available 23 reg or newer, 76 of which are from BMW dealers. Cheapest are two 23 reg M sports, one for £42k with 12k miles and one for 43k with 5k miles, not sure if helpful but seems quite a few available….
thanks

Ideally I was looking for a msport pro (fancied the heads up display). I think the pros are more difficult to get. But Ill check autotrader. So far Ive only been checking the BWM stock.

thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 07:35 AM   #35
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

No worries, yes I have the Pro because I wanted the extra bits like heads up which I really find useful.

Cheapest 23 Pro from a dealer looks to be around £46k with 10k miles, but comes with a wall box or finance deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 08:38 AM   #36
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai888 View Post
No worries, yes I have the Pro because I wanted the extra bits like heads up which I really find useful.

Cheapest 23 Pro from a dealer looks to be around £46k with 10k miles, but comes with a wall box or finance deal.
thanks I think that would be in the ball park, theres some wiggle room for part ex etc.

Would you mind letting me know which dealer? and I can take a peep.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 03:41 PM   #37
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

I would hope that there would be room to move on price……

Car at Blackburn dealer
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...4-92c6832f8762

Car at Huddersfield dealer
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...a-dfa3d5c220e7

Last edited by Mogwai888; 03-11-2024 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:23 PM   #38
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks thats really helpful.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 04:05 PM   #39
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

shandyhaggis I’ve got an iX3 and while I chose it for specific reasons, I’ve grown to dislike it in many ways.

Common problems reported by many are:

When reversing with lock on, it feels like you are going over a bump.

Creaking from steering/brakes when turning, stopping. Not the brake squeal issue you can fix by hard braking but a nasty creaking sound.

Abrupt braking in B mode as the car comes to a halt.

Interior heating is random/poor - there are times when you have to set the temp to 26 or higher to get some warm air.

These may not seem like big issues but when you have to live with them daily, it quickly becomes annoying and not what is expected from a BMW - poor build quality in those regards.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:57 AM   #40
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
shandyhaggis I’ve got an iX3 and while I chose it for specific reasons, I’ve grown to dislike it in many ways.

Creaking from steering/brakes when turning, stopping. Not the brake squeal issue you can fix by hard braking but a nasty creaking sound.

Interior heating is random/poor - there are times when you have to set the temp to 26 or higher to get some warm air.

These may not seem like big issues but when you have to live with them daily, it quickly becomes annoying and not what is expected from a BMW - poor build quality in those regards.
thanks for that.

I had similar issues with an old X3 it was a combination of wide tires and the xdrive being rubbish. Not heard of the reverse bump issue on the IX3.

The current X3 does have an awful heating system, Im always having to nudge it up and down - either too hot or cold, never constant.

Ive not heard of the heating issue in the IX3 - but yes that would drive me nuts as well.

Do you know if the IX is the same for heating and steering and braking quirks?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:02 PM   #41
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks for that.

I had similar issues with an old X3 it was a combination of wide tires and the xdrive being rubbish. Not heard of the reverse bump issue on the IX3.

The current X3 does have an awful heating system, Im always having to nudge it up and down - either too hot or cold, never constant.

Ive not heard of the heating issue in the IX3 - but yes that would drive me nuts as well.

Do you know if the IX is the same for heating and steering and braking quirks?
Can't speak for the iX but in hindsight, I would have lived with iDrive 8 and weird looks as all the reviews of that praised the drive, interior comfort, heating etc.

My previous car was a 2021 X5 which had none of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:24 PM   #42
shandyhaggis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Can't speak for the iX but in hindsight, I would have lived with iDrive 8 and weird looks as all the reviews of that praised the drive, interior comfort, heating etc.

My previous car was a 2021 X5 which had none of these issues.
I had the same thought as well. The ix is on my list of possibles. I don’t mind the looks of the ix. I just read that the ix3 drives better and was a bit more conventional. The ix is a bit bigger which puts my wife off. But having given it a bit more thought I don’t think I’d have a problem with either.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:42 PM   #43
Andras6800
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Quote:

Interesting collection of problems. Creaking from steering seems to be a BMW specific issue. I had this one with my E93 BMW and also with my G01 BMW, but not now with my G08 iX3.

Abrupt braking in B mode is something I not noticed so far. However most frequently I am using adaptive mode.

Regarding interior heating: I also noticed this issue. After some workaround I figured out, it is not really an issue. It is an improper way of climate control. At pre heating or start the blown air reached 30c. After canine heated up, it is scaling down to the set temperature, what you max feel could. I performed some measurement, and here I found similar measurement report in another thread.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086216
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #44
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Didn’t have creaking steering or braking in two x F30 saloons or a G05 X5 I had as previous cars.
Appreciate 0