BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2023, 10:06 AM   #23
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatJoey View Post
Good point and true. You definitely don’t want to take the PS to a track. I made my decision as I knew I would never do that and if I got the itch, this would stop me hahah so it’s good. I have driven a few cars on a track but never one of mine. I imagine a track day or two could really destroy brake pads rotors and tires.
Right, and tires would be more expensive than replacing rotors and pads. My personal favorite (street pad) is the Raybestos EHT line - i'm a huge fan of linear braking profile. Sadly, the Raybestos EHT I bought a few months ago had a little smaller pad surface than they used to, or maybe I got a bad batch? Either way that would cause a ring of rust around the rotor eventually - unless the rotor is brand new and coated. Thankfully, amazon brought the EBC red stuff price down to $210 so I bought it. Much less dust than OEM, but about 2x more than Raybestos. PS pads would still be the most dust-free among them. The only other brand comparable on dust level is TEC pads, but PS would beat it in stopping distance.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      08-12-2023, 10:21 AM   #24
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
You guys doing your own work? Or having local Indy do it?

I’m at 23k… def have a lip on my front rotors, so I know those will have to be replaced (hello triple digit speed slow downs)…. Like everyone else, would love to go the less dust route, so keeping an eye on these topics. BUT, with a bad back and zero free time, I don’t have it in me to do this myself these days (maybe on the weekender… but not the daily where I need it done quickly and correctly). Point is, if I want to pick and choose my own rotors and pads combo, curious how to best go about it while still under warranty timeframe (if I actually have to do so). Haven’t looked at the pads recently, but I’m betting I get a notice within another 10k….
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      08-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #25
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post

I’m at 23k… def have a lip on my front rotors, so I know those will have to be replaced (hello triple digit speed slow downs)…. Like everyone else, would love to go the less dust route, so keeping an eye on these topics. BUT, with a bad back and zero free time, I don’t have it in me to do this myself these days (maybe on the weekender… but not the daily where I need it done quickly and correctly). Point is, if I want to pick and choose my own rotors and pads combo, curious how to best go about it while still under warranty timeframe (if I actually have to do so). Haven’t looked at the pads recently, but I’m betting I get a notice within another 10k….
For the brakes I'm doing the work, but i'm fat and old so maybe i'll let me friend put it on the lift at his shop if its really humid the day of...lol.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1284.00
      08-12-2023, 03:25 PM   #26
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post

I've been DIY-ing brakes service on my cars for years now. I personally wouldn't easily trust any indy shop unless there's enough track record of experience working on BMWs. So just to keep my sanity and save me from reading customer reviews, I just plan ahead and DIY it well before it's due.

There are only 2 shops (in Houston) whom I would probably trust this type of service. I'm pretty sure there are others who are just as qualified but I don't have time and patience to read reviews and do some trial/error.

I think many shops would prefer installing parts sourced thru them or partner stores for warranty reasons (allegedly). So that makes indy shop options very limited.
Appreciate 2
Rottweiler3983.00
TXGrey1284.00
      08-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #27
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I did them on all my chargers but chickened out on the m40 lol plus I wanted all 4 done so I just went to a local authorized powerstop installer and they did a great job, the tech had a sweet 335i so I felt a tiny bit better lol…
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1284.00
      08-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #28
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Cool… I’ll do some digging. Have some cohorts still from the Macan GTS days… and I believe at least one of their Indy shops does all German cars… so I will check with them on my options…. Reaaalllly don’t want to use Dealer and OEM unless it’s last resort.

Thanks gents.
Appreciate 2
Rottweiler3983.00
Burr0013251.00