BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2023, 03:23 PM   #23
Prof. Oak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 m40i

I have no problem adding a small amp, just not 100% sure on how to link it all together. Im assuming it should be as simple as getting the PNP kit for adding an amp and that should be it correct?
      02-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #24
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Oak View Post
I have no problem adding a small amp, just not 100% sure on how to link it all together. Im assuming it should be as simple as getting the PNP kit for adding an amp and that should be it correct?
yes the pnp harness should give you a line out for signal source to add whatever amp you want.

Also as far as Ohms value, that would be based on what your sub that you plan on using is. The Bavsound subs are 8 ohms since the factory amp puts out in 8 ohms.

The 10 inch you have im assuming is 4ohm? single or dual voice coil?

Last edited by Burr001; 02-10-2023 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #25
Prof. Oak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
yes the pnp harness should give you a line out for signal source to add whatever amp you want.

Also as far as Ohms value, that would be based on what your sub that you plan on using is. The Bavsound subs are 8 ohms since the factory amp puts out in 8 ohms.
Yea i overthought the ohms situation, since now adding an external amp is the play its a matter of matching the sub to the amp. Much appreciated
      02-11-2023, 07:15 AM   #26
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yea i overthought the ohms situation, since now adding an external amp is the play its a matter of matching the sub to the amp. Much appreciated
Not sure if you checked it out, by my thread is the same setup you are doing and I give detailed instructions on how I did it. Forget which thread came first but this one is also very helpful.
Appreciate 1
Burr0013251.00
      02-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #27
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

sweet set up, but I'm wondering now that I see this, if there is room for a spare tire down there LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:12 PM   #28
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatJoey View Post
sweet set up, but I'm wondering now that I see this, if there is room for a spare tire down there LOL
Barely!

But it does fit - having a spare was critical for me after getting stuck on the side of the road for 5 hours in my old E46 M3 Comp with a split sidewall and bent rim - no can of goo is gonna get you out of that.

The only real issue is access to the spare. What I have to do is fold down the rear seats and push the sub box onto the seat backs then I can access (I could also take it out but I swear it's at least 100 lbs.

I've had that particular box for prob 20 years now and I still love it (sans the red carpet!).
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      02-11-2023, 07:17 PM   #29
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Barely!

But it does fit - having a spare was critical for me after getting stuck on the side of the road for 5 hours in my old E46 M3 Comp with a split sidewall and bent rim - no can of goo is gonna get you out of that.

The only real issue is access to the spare. What I have to do is fold down the rear seats and push the sub box onto the seat backs then I can access (I could also take it out but I swear it's at least 100 lbs.

I've had that particular box for prob 20 years now and I still love it (sans the red carpet!).
so removing whatever is down there and then a spare can fit under the floor board? I'll have to look again in the day but I didn't know the floor could easily come out to accommodate the spare. do you happen to have a pic of that?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:03 PM   #30
spta97
Colonel
Rep

You may be confusing my install with another. I have the factory spare and if you look at my thread you can see it removed but all the wires and components are not in the spare location.

Note, I am not the OP of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:24 PM   #31
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Sorry I'm late to getting back to you. Do reach out to TechnicPnP to verify. They are very prompt with responding to questions and will send you detailed instructions. Top-notch customer service.

Also, I would highly suggest just adding an amp. I agree with @Burr001 on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:26 AM   #32
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Great write up! Did any of you guys have to adjust the internal jumpers for the LOC? From 20 to 40volts? , I have a wave linkd..so I have a set up installed in my original car HK and the sub bumps, and same setup in new car with bowers and Wilkins and doesn’t seem to do justice..? Running jl xd700/5v2 and JL Audio CS112LG-TW3
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:04 PM   #33
dazzin
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 -18 IX3 -22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougherty85 View Post
I'll try to be in-depth, without going too far down a rabbit hole, as I'm wont to do when explaining things!

Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever been, a car audio expert/installer, please be kind

To start, I have the Harmon Kardon system, which I've always felt a bit underwhelmed with. Especially the BASS. If you find yourself on the fence about it, I would highly recommend you start with researching EQ settings for the HK system and get yourself setup with Bimmercode to access the Bowers & Wilkins audio settings. This is a great product for playing with your vehicles settings, as well as being relatively inexpensive. After setting up the EQ and the B&W settings, I really could have been satisfied with the audio... but........ that's just NO FUN!!

Now, I know about the Bavsound replacement woofers ($600 for the pair) and I know a lot of people are happy with that upgrade, but ultimately when you see the price breakdown below, there's a good reason I decided it wasn't the option for me.

I've never fully installed any car audio myself, and it's been about 15 years since the last time I fooled with it at all. I know my limitations but also wanted to tackle this installation myself. I wanted it to be nearly all plug-n-play (I go cross-eyed when reading about splicing wires and all that) and easily removable for cargo access. So here's what I ordered:

- Rockford Fosgate P500-12P - [B]$489 [...]

Great install!

I tried this myself today but struggle with the LOC. The harness is plug n play but I can't get any signal/voltage to the LOC. Is there anything I am missing out?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0