BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
marty.br
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2023 X3: How to Activate Passenger Side Mic

From the driver's side, I can use voice or the steering wheel button to give voice commands to the assistant. On the passenger side, the button definitely doesn't pick up the passenger's voice. Is the mic on the passenger side only activated by voice "Hey BMW" etc... ? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 12:42 PM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
The passenger mic only picks up when the passenger says "Hey BMW", since it locates which microphone it's coming from and who is initiating the command. If you're pressing the voice command on the steering wheel, the system thinks it's the driver that's initiating the command.

Do keep in mind, the passenger microphone is only installed on BMWs with either 6NS (Enhanced Bluetooth - Standard in the US, not available in Canada) or 6NW (Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charger - adds the second microphone.) Vehicles without those option codes, there is still the microphone cover there but there aren't any holes in the slats.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:22 PM   #3
marty.br
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Enhanced Bluetooth? How Would I know?

thanks!!! Really helpful. Yes in Canada. I have the Wireless charger. Does that mean I would have the Enhanced bluetooth?

X3, 2023
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty.br View Post
thanks!!! Really helpful. Yes in Canada. I have the Wireless charger. Does that mean I would have the Enhanced bluetooth?

X3, 2023
Sounds like you should, based on what Tim said. We also have a 2023 but did not order the wireless charging (6NW) and there’s only a microphone on the roof on the driver’s side. The passenger side has nothing, not even a solid cover, so should be easy to check yours.
Appreciate 0