BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #23
docal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Finished my first long trip of about 500 miles round trip with my 2020 X3 M4.0 towing 18 foot Ranger with 150HP Yamaha weighing in at 3500 pounds. Power was great. More than adequate. Easy in and out of water. Handled like a dream. In Comfort mode the whole way averaging a bit less than 15mpg going mostly 70-75. Good idea using adaptive. Will try that next time
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #24
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

After driving about 1,000mi in two days with a 3,500lbs trailer (loaded) hitched to a 30e, I'll tag on my impressions in this thread:

TL;DR Great towing vehicle, especially with WD bars, but be prepared to make a lot of stops for gas if it's not a diesel X3.

- BMWNA's numbers on towing are very conservative. Payload on my sticker is 903lbs. On the German site (https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/x...che-daten.html) it says payload for the 30e is 610kg, that's over 1,300lbs! In other words, take BMWNA's numbers as the real limit, no need to take off another 20% or so as an extra cushion and no need to stress out if you're slightly over.

- Using a WD hitch is just fine. Do not use a system that's rated too high (e.g. 8,000lbs or more) because those are not only heavy, eating into payload, but the bars are also too stiff for the BMW X3's frame. I use the E2's 4,500lbs rated model. Measured before and after on the cat scales, the WD bars do their job and transfer about 300lbs from the rear axle to the front (220lbs) and trailer (80lbs) axles. When driving with a WD hitch, always slow way down on railroad crossings, bumps and dips and if there is any sudden change of level (driveways, some local or park roads, ...) just take the bars off.

- The 30e, or any X3, has more than enough engine power to pull at any speed. The 30e specifically is great at slowing down with regenerative braking, it feels like Diesel engine brake. The default Curt Echo brake controller profile is perfect and doesn't trigger the trailer brakes when doing that. I crossed the Appalachian mountains via Lover's Leap in VA without ever going over 2,800rpm in standard sports mode. Where the 30e falls short is mpg and range. I towed at about 60-65mph the first day because of rain and crosswinds and got 15-16mpg, the second day I had perfect driving conditions and towed for a while at 70-75mph (that is, with Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer, rated at 87mph) but got 13-14mpg at those speeds, albeit with some headwind. That's a lot of fuel stops with the 30e's smaller gas tank size so I slowed down and got behind trucks going 65 with cruise control. Anyway, with the 30e, when towing start looking for gas stations at 25% left in the tank as the needle goes down quickly!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #25
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

FredBa - good report, thanks, very informative. Did you ever recharge you car during the trip, I know the range is very limited but did not know if you tried to use it.
      06-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #26
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isawelvis View Post
FredBa - good report, thanks, very informative. Did you ever recharge you car during the trip, I know the range is very limited but did not know if you tried to use it.
I recharged to full during the night as we were staying at an electric site on a campground anyway. The car spends it very quickly when towing though and on a long road trip it doesn’t have any real impact (that’s true regardless of pulling a trailer). The electric engine in and of itself seems very capable of towing and it’s cool to leave the campground silently.

Next week we’ll be camping three consecutive nights at the same state park so in that case the “free” miles from the electric hookup might make a positive overall impact depending how much shopping, exploring the area, ... we do by car during our stay.

What I haven’t tried yet is coasting (eco pro) on flat highways when towing. Maybe I can get better gas mileage that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 02:00 AM   #27
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
After driving about 1,000mi in two days with a 3,500lbs trailer (loaded) hitched to a 30e, I'll tag on my impressions in this thread:

TL;DR Great towing vehicle, especially with WD bars, but be prepared to make a lot of stops for gas if it's not a diesel X3.

- BMWNA's numbers on towing are very conservative. Payload on my sticker is 903lbs. On the German site (https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/x...che-daten.html) it says payload for the 30e is 610kg, that's over 1,300lbs! In other words, take BMWNA's numbers as the real limit, no need to take off another 20% or so as an extra cushion and no need to stress out if you're slightly over.

- Using a WD hitch is just fine. Do not use a system that's rated too high (e.g. 8,000lbs or more) because those are not only heavy, eating into payload, but the bars are also too stiff for the BMW X3's frame. I use the E2's 4,500lbs rated model. Measured before and after on the cat scales, the WD bars do their job and transfer about 300lbs from the rear axle to the front (220lbs) and trailer (80lbs) axles. When driving with a WD hitch, always slow way down on railroad crossings, bumps and dips and if there is any sudden change of level (driveways, some local or park roads, ...) just take the bars off.

- The 30e, or any X3, has more than enough engine power to pull at any speed. The 30e specifically is great at slowing down with regenerative braking, it feels like Diesel engine brake. The default Curt Echo brake controller profile is perfect and doesn't trigger the trailer brakes when doing that. I crossed the Appalachian mountains via Lover's Leap in VA without ever going over 2,800rpm in standard sports mode. Where the 30e falls short is mpg and range. I towed at about 60-65mph the first day because of rain and crosswinds and got 15-16mpg, the second day I had perfect driving conditions and towed for a while at 70-75mph (that is, with Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer, rated at 87mph) but got 13-14mpg at those speeds, albeit with some headwind. That's a lot of fuel stops with the 30e's smaller gas tank size so I slowed down and got behind trucks going 65 with cruise control. Anyway, with the 30e, when towing start looking for gas stations at 25% left in the tank as the needle goes down quickly!
Anyone from the UK and Europe will look at your 70-75 mph towing and think you’re nuts. The thought of hoping to keep control of any trailer at that speed is highly optimistic in most cases and down right reckless in every other situation. I wouldn’t place the kind of trust in other drivers that you obviously do and hope they never cause you to have to react to anything stupid they do, caravan rage is a not uncommon occurrence over here.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:41 AM   #28
Drothgeb
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, M40i

What do you expect, we’re Americans. I think it’s written in our Constitution that we have the right to be reckless. Most people that tow over here are completely unaware that there are special speed limits that apply to RVs, which is 55-65 in most states. Many also don’t know that the tires their trailer is sitting on, may only be rated to 62 mph.

To me the scariest are the single axle travel trailers rated 3500 lbs being towed by compact SUVs. Small single tires that are loaded to the max, probably going over their rated mph. A gust of wind or, a blow out can make an exciting experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #29
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert2402 View Post
Anyone from the UK and Europe will look at your 70-75 mph towing and think you’re nuts. The thought of hoping to keep control of any trailer at that speed is highly optimistic in most cases and down right reckless in every other situation. I wouldn’t place the kind of trust in other drivers that you obviously do and hope they never cause you to have to react to anything stupid they do, caravan rage is a not uncommon occurrence over here.
I’m a European living in the US actually. There’s a reason people use WD hitches with sway control over here, tongue weight is heavier and trailers have mandatory electric brakes, which allow braking the trailer only to stabilize the rig in an emergency.
The stretch I tried driving a little faster was very low traffic (which compared to Autoroute du Soleil etc. would be shockingly empty), conditions were perfect and the tires on my trailer are the best available, they cost over twice the kind you describe and are the only ST ones I know of rated up to 87mph.
I’m not sure driving 55mph or slower on interstates is safe in the US. Contrary to Europe semis are not only bigger but typically drive 65 to 70mph and many go even faster downhill. Going much slower than other traffic carries its own risk. I think 60-65mph is the sweet spot, following a few other trucks on cruise control so people keep passing instead of moving right in front of you.

EDIT:
Also want to add that in almost all US states trailer speed limits are the same as for other traffic, with a few exceptions (e.g. California). An X3 is significantly heavier than a 3,500lbs trailer. The least safe on the road are actually trailers that are not of the fifth wheel type but heavier than the trucks pulling them. There is indeed a safety advantage to double axle trailers, but single axle is not unsafe if correctly loaded. This is the last I will comment on this subject, just wanted to share my experience, not go into a debate.

Last edited by FredBa; 06-26-2021 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #30
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto...n_U.S._by_year. As much as I hate to say it, death on the highway in the US has become an accepted cost of doing business. Don't know how these rates compare to yours across the pond, but it seems as though we are numb to it here. Sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #31
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
I recharged to full during the night as we were staying at an electric site on a campground anyway. The car spends it very quickly when towing though and on a long road trip it doesn’t have any real impact (that’s true regardless of pulling a trailer). The electric engine in and of itself seems very capable of towing and it’s cool to leave the campground silently.

Next week we’ll be camping three consecutive nights at the same state park so in that case the “free” miles from the electric hookup might make a positive overall impact depending how much shopping, exploring the area, ... we do by car during our stay.

What I haven’t tried yet is coasting (eco pro) on flat highways when towing. Maybe I can get better gas mileage that way.
You must like the Virginia area. Im currently an Ill resident but from the Southside of Virginia. I miss the the Mts

Always a lot of critics here. Who cares, opinions are like "you know what" we all have one

Last edited by Isawelvis; 06-26-2021 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: additional commens
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #32
thefys
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert2402 View Post
I agree with the nuts. We tow a 3300lb trailer (325lbs tongue weight, all weighed at truck scale) with a silver 2013X3 2.0 and previously with a black 2008 X3.3.0.
Obviously non-electric nor hybrid but real world towing in BC Canada. Photos below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dt1ouvktg...cj4AEAgqa?dl=0

My safe speed is exactly 94kms/h and not 1km more. When I set the cruise control there, all I need is the up/down 10km click on the steering wheel for safe deceleration.
I have towed up to 120kms/h but depending on headwinds and trucks on the opposite side of the highway, trailer sway is a problem. At that speed everything feels more unstable and I see no benefit.
We own the Tenkosha Prodigy RF trailer brake module which has the Bluetooth in cabin remote module and immediately kills any trailer sway with the trailer brake override, it's fantastic and feels way safe. Still 94kms/hr.

Having towed for 6 years now I know under 94km/h absolutely nothing bad will happen in terms of trailer sway and control. Of course all sorts of other bad things can happen, but the trailer stability vs. wind is not a major issue. Even with a big gust and trucks nearby the trailer brake override will stabilize the trailer everytime.
Now above 94km/h things get more chaotic and I don't see any reason to go there.

Last edited by thefys; 12-11-2022 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #33
marineLuke
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335 xi, 2007

This is great, I have been toying with selling my Dodge ram truck that I use primarily for towing to an X3 diesel.

I am really happy to read these positive toe reports.

I know in Europe people tow even with 3 series cars and no issues.

Did anyone monitor transmission temperatures? I’m wondering if more frequent fluid changes would be required.

Anyways great write up.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 03:33 PM   #34
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

I tow a 1600 Kg caravan, my X3 is a Diesel and twice a year I tow our caravan to Spain, both trips total just under
6000 Miles, so far (touch wood) I have had no issues
Appreciate 0