BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

X3 > Mustang

Just a quick and to us, a surprising anecdote.

My wife and I just got back from a vacation where we were excited to have a Mustang GT 5.0 for a rental. Currently we own a 2013 X3 with the 2.0T engine.

Our excitement quickly deflated once we started to drive.

To our amazement, on every level the X3 was more fun to drive and "zippier" around town. Yes the Mustang was faster in a straight line. Perhaps it handles better too. But it felt very disconnected to the road and just lacked a fun factor that for some reason is present in BMW's, even the X3. After four days with the Mustang, we couldn't believe we were saying it, but we concluded that not only was our M3 better (which we were expecting), but so was our X3! Our X3, with the four cylinder, the dog hauler, the car that still to this day just isn't "cool," was in fact more fun and pleasurable to drive than a Mustang with over 400 horses! We started kind of dreading getting back in the Mustang after four days.

I think what really killed the Mustang for us was several fold. Lack of visibility for one thing. My wife is 5'4" and was looking right at the dash almost the whole time as a passenger. The steering is very disconnected. We were on winding mountain roads a lot of times and there was never even a hint of feedback or the wheel becoming stiffer with hard turns. And lastly the outright machismo of the whole thing. Everything, from the shift knob to the dials to the stitching just screams macho, without any balance. I really wanted to like it and not be a snob but at the end of the day, I really appreciated how much more sophisticated BMW's are in everything from the dash to the steering wheel to the drive.

I know this is a weird comparison, and I hope I don't offend any Mustang lovers out there. Certainly looks cool and the 5.0 engine surprisingly revved very nicely.

Just thought I'd share in case any of you are going through a midlife crisis like me and is actually considering one.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I was in Vegas recently and rented the convertible 6cyl mustang with 305hp.

I went away disappointed too. What a boring 'fun' car to drive. Who knew the BMW 300hp would completely smoke the Ford's 305hp... and yes I know the x3 has 300 ft-lbs and the Stang has 280 ft-lbs or torque.

I would rather drive my old '68 Camaro with 180hp and 2sp auto.
      04-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
PeteX3MWhite
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35 M SPort

Previous vehicle was a 2011 Mustang GT Premium. I understand what you are saying, however, the Mustang, when properly fitted, is a great car. Your rental most likely had the 18" wheels, which offer a more numb ride than the optional 19"'s. The stiffer 19" tires offer better steering response.

Yup, there are blind spots, just like the X3 has blind spots. The driving position is low, and some would argue that the M3 is just as gaudy in its "outright machismo." I'll pass on the fake fender vents.

Sorry, I am way tired of BMW snobs trashing the Mustang. Its a $35k car that is a blast to drive. No, it doesn't have the same steering feel as the BMWs. Not many cars do ( Mercedes and Lexus are lacking here too). But it is one of the best performance bargains out there (ok, the 1 series 335 is pretty great too).

I will agree that the V6 Mustang sucks and the 305hp number seems grossly over rated. I had a 335i coupe with the same power rating, and it was a rocket ship. The V6 in the Mustang, while rated the same, feels slow as molasses. Lack of torque and a poorly geared auto transmission are at fault.

I like the Ford V8 a great deal, and am currently in the market for a Boss 302 as a second car. Upgraded suspension (adjustable too), better brakes, great Recaro seats and 444hp.

I tell you what I miss most about my 5.0 Mustang. When I was driving and some tool would start driving like an idiot, veer into my lane while blabbing on the phone, or ride my tail. I could hit the gas pedal and get far away from he area.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Hey I'm not slaggin' Mustangs, just that the car I had was really under powered and boring.

My brother has a very nice 5L with the pano roof that is anything but boring. A little clip of the upgraded GT500 exhaust.