BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
mgoblue62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Parked car ventilation - activate immediately. Why?

Probably obvious but not to me...

I'm not seeing the benefit in activating the parked car ventilation in the immediate mode (i.e. not using one of the two timers).

Why would you want to ventilate the vehicle for 30 minutes when you just shut it off (presumably with the ventilation running)?

I guess if you knew you were only going to be away from the vehicle for 30 minutes or less it might keep the interior cooler?

Thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue62 View Post

I'm not seeing the benefit in activating the parked car ventilation in the immediate mode (i.e. not using one of the two timers).

Why would you want to ventilate the vehicle for 30 minutes when you just shut it off (presumably with the ventilation running)?

I guess if you knew you were only going to be away from the vehicle for 30 minutes or less it might keep the interior cooler?

Thanks for any insight.
Funny you should mention this as I thought the exact opposite and got annoyed with having to set a timer for 1 minute from now each time I used it. The difference is that I was activating ventilation using my iPhone, whereas I assume you are sitting in the car. I don't think you get remote activation in the US but the reason for immediate start is to support remote activation via an iPhone running My BMW Remote - or other smart phone if they have this app now

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
leftee86
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 x28i

Probably to clear out the remaining chilled air, or to mitigate car smells – esp when you have take out food in the car...it lingers.

I wish the remote app in the US would let you start the vent and/or AC remotely like in other countries. It must be a law/responsibility thing in case someone left a child in the car and thought it would be ok if they have the remote AC.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

hmm, this sounds like an opportunity for our coding friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee86 View Post
Probably to clear out the remaining chilled air, or to mitigate car smells – esp when you have take out food in the car...it lingers.

I wish the remote app in the US would let you start the vent and/or AC remotely like in other countries. It must be a law/responsibility thing in case someone left a child in the car and thought it would be ok if they have the remote AC.
      07-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
dwkl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

I have tried coding my car to enable remote car ventilation. After recoding it, I went to the BMW Services in iDrive and did a update software. Then I signed out of my iPhone app and signed back in again. But I still don't get the remote ventilation in my iPhone app. I think BMW Assist is also blocking it from the server side.

Hope other coders will be able to enable this feature soon. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

This is really stupid. While I disagree with some of the other things (closing windows and tailgate remotely, etc.) disabled in the U.S. I can at least see the reasoning (though asinine) behind it.
I can think of no reason to not allow remote ventilation in the U.S. It would be such a useful feature. Especially on days like today when the temperature approaches 100.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29
This is really stupid. While I disagree with some of the other things (closing windows and tailgate remotely, etc.) disabled in the U.S. I can at least see the reasoning (though asinine) behind it.
I can think of no reason to not allow remote ventilation in the U.S. It would be such a useful feature. Especially on days like today when the temperature approaches 100.
So it's 100 everywhere in the Tri-State area.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue62 View Post

Thanks for any insight.
Yup, typical stop and go for quick things (quick visit to the john, grab a sandwich, stop and buy flowers for wifey....)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The immediate park ventilation feature is VERY useful in preventing that FUNKY order from the vents. Bacteria and mold multiply rapidly in dark/damp conditions. If you are running the AC, the pull into your garage for the night...this is the perfect conditions for mold & bacteria to grow (a dark, damp, and hot location).

If you turn on the immediate vent feature...it will run long enough to cool things down as well as dry things up...thus dampening the conditions for the growth of mold and bacteria and that funky smell that a lot of vehicles have when the blower first turns on.
Appreciate 0