BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
algae
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 xDrive28i

2013 X3/F25 can't unlock and won't start - battery problem?

I have a 2013 X3 xDrive28i with Comfort Access keyless entry.

I tried to unlock my door with my key fob, but car would not unlock. I then manually unlocked the driver side door. The alarm sounded at this point. I tried to start the engine, but pressing the Start button did absolutely nothing. The alarm stopped.

I tried to "reprogram" the key fob by touching the key spot on the steering column, while pressing brake and the start button. Again, no effect. I changed the battery in the key fob, again door would not unlock, lock or open the lift gate. I tried to reprogram this key fob with the new battery, again, no effect.

I left town for a few days and tried with the second key fob. Got same, unsuccessful results as with the first key fob. The alarm ON indicator light is flashing normally.

The hazard lights do work. The interior lights will not turn ON. I used a friend's battery charger, but engine would not start. I noticed that when the charger was connected to the contact in the engine compartment that the daytime running lights will turn on for a few seconds, then die. The parking brake engaged indicator light also came ON for a few seconds then died. "Transmission malfunction" displayed for a few seconds then died. There was a second warning message that also displayed, but I don't recall what it said. The climate control lights briefly lit up.

I connected the charger directly to the battery, but car would still not start. The DRLs would not turn ON for a few seconds.

I could not get the interior dome lights to turn ON whether portable charger hooked up to contacts in engine compartment or directly to car battery.

1. Did I unintentionally immobilize my car?
2. Or is this a dead battery?
3. I cannot open the lift gate. Is there a manual open latch somewhere? I'm trying to remove the battery so that I can get it tested. Removing from the outside is a lot easier than in a cramped and hot interior.

I searched forums and Google and only found a video for a 1st gen lift gate manual open procedure. I can't see any type of latch directly under the lift gate near the battery compartment.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Welcome.

99.9% sure your car has a manual release for the lift gate. On the F26 (X4) it is a bright green plastic handle recessed in to the "door sill." Yes, you have to fold rear set(s) down and crawl in to release.

For your symptoms, my money is on a bad battery. Release lift gate manually, take battery out and have it tested. If battery is bad, you will (obviously) need a new one AND you will need to have it coded to the car. You cannot simply buy a new battery and drop it in. The car's computer needs to be told that the battery is new and how to charge it. Time to find a good indy BMW shop, unless you like to pay the dealer top dollar for this.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Just had a battery replaced on my z4, Sears wanted $69.99 to register the battery.

I did it myself: http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

Consider it an investment, plus all of the other fun things you can do with it...
Appreciate 0