BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
ja4an
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 xDrive35i

xDrive 245/45r19 tires

Hi all!

New X3 owner of an used 2011 model, xDrive35i and first BMW vehicle ever.

I was reading through threads trying to research but couldn't find an exact answer, was hoping for everyone's opinion.

Like a lot of owners, I will be moving away from the run flats but I was also hoping to go from the stock 245/45r19 to a 245/50r19 tire. Would that detrimentally affect the sensors? It will be a change the diameter +3.2%

Thanks for all your input!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

First off, I'm happy you've decided to get rid of the run flats. It will be a completely different vehicle after you do that. Ride smoother, better acceleration, shorter stopping distance, and better fuel mileage. That's a rare and expensive tire size though, and yes it will throw the speedometer off (it's -3mph from the factory so it might actually read correctly haha).

Why would you want a larger sidewall? It would make the car handle worse. Trying to get the car to have a smoother ride? Getting rid of the run flats fixes that, no need for a larger sidewall. If you drive A LOT of miles AND in mild snow during the winter the go-to tire is the General AS-05. If you live in a part of the world like I do, Florida, and zero snow ever, don't care if your tires are bald in 25k miles cause $600 for a new set is pocket lint and want maximum dry and wet traction with outstanding cornering making the X3 feel like a proper BMW? The Firestone Indy 500 is the best tire you can put on an X3. Both in 245/45-19 size.

Oh, and being a 2011 35i? Get ready to fork out $1600 to replace the water pump any day now.

Last edited by Riick; 08-08-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed to the Firestone being a good tire for the money (I have them on my 135i), also to the general lack of reason to go to a 50% profile over 45 (is there a huge price drop or something?).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
ja4an
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed to the Firestone being a good tire for the money (I have them on my 135i), also to the general lack of reason to go to a 50% profile over 45 (is there a huge price drop or something?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
First off, I'm happy you've decided to get rid of the run flats. It will be a completely different vehicle after you do that. Ride smoother, better acceleration, shorter stopping distance, and better fuel mileage. That's a rare and expensive tire size though, and yes it will throw the speedometer off (it's -3mph from the factory so it might actually read correctly haha).

Why would you want a larger sidewall? It would make the car handle worse. Trying to get the car to have a smoother ride? Getting rid of the run flats fixes that, no need for a larger sidewall. If you drive A LOT of miles AND in mild snow during the winter the go-to tire is the General AS-05. If you live in a part of the world like I do, Florida, and zero snow ever, don't care if your tires are bald in 25k miles cause $600 for a new set is pocket lint and want maximum dry and wet traction with outstanding cornering making the X3 feel like a proper BMW? The Firestone Indy 500 is the best tire you can put on an X3. Both in 245/45-19 size.

Oh, and being a 2011 35i? Get ready to fork out $1600 to replace the water pump any day now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Thanks for the responses! I was looking at the Continental DWS 06 and with the 50% ratio because it's mainly for the wifey and kid. Family hauler

When does the water pump normally go out?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Looks like that would drop the total price about $100, I guess that's a decent amount. It's not a huge difference in sidewall height and I can't think of any particular reason the car itself would notice. You guys would have to keep in mind your speedometer will read a touch low in regards to getting a ticket for speeding but even that's somewhat unlikely.

That Continental should be a decent tire, and isn't directional (I don't think it is but you should verify), meaning it'll be easy to rotate the corners around from time to time, which is a bonus.
Appreciate 1
ja4an9.00
      08-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

For family hauling I'd def get the General AS-05. After all, it's BMW not a Grand Caravan. I would have got the 28i it would be more reliable.

Last edited by Riick; 08-08-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0