BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

A Really bad day!

Well, today has not been a good day!

Whilst popping out at lunchtime someone smashed into the rear of the iX3. I was stationary at the time, waiting to pass a horse box that had pulled up at the side of the road. A Landrover discovery for some reason didn't see me, slammed into the back of my car, shunting it forward about 6 metres (doesn't sound a lot, but the parking brake was on). The drivers side seat belt pretensioner went off as well.

I've attached a picture below. The damage is:

The boot lid is bent under on the outside edge, the bumper has crumpled on impact and then reshaped slightly, the boot trim inside has shunted forward. It doesn't look too bad from the pictures, but it's a bit of a mess underneath that.

The bloke driving was very upset and apologetic and handed his details over etc. The car called the BMW assist automatically very shortly after the accident who arranged the recovery etc. That was all very slick to be fair, they knew where the car was and that it had been in a rear end collision!

It's been recovered to the dealer and they called me earlier to say that there is currently an issue with parts availability and the car maybe off the road for sometime!

To be honest I'm absolutely pi$$ed this has happened. How someone can not see a car stopped with brake lights on behind a horse box which parked loading a horse from a field I'll never know!

Depending on what damage they find underneath, I'm not sure if I want to keep the car now. Who knows what damage it might have done to the electric motor, battery etc that isn't immediately obvious. That is one of the downside to EV's I guess.

Not a great start to the weekend
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

That’s rubbish for you, but at least it kept you safe by the sound of it. I wouldn’t worry about the motor or battery. The motor will be very robust and the battery will be full of diagnostics to report if there’s a problem. More than likely the crumple zone will have done it’s thing, which is why it looks a mess, and the important bits will be fine!
Appreciate 1
hollpe161.50
      05-06-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

so sorry. dang. are you sore? thought about that?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hello,

I can imagine this is a very frustrating situation to be in, especially the hassle of dealing with insurers as well as everything else, at the end of the day, car parts can be replaced can’t they, people can’t, the cars done it’s job to protect its occupants.

I’m interested to hear more about what happened afterwards with the onboard systems if you wouldn’t mind sharing? I take it the car in effect self reported the accident automatically? Did it need any driver input at all? Could the car still be driven to a position of safety if needed or does it go full crash mode and prevent anything being operated?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeXi View Post
Hello,

I can imagine this is a very frustrating situation to be in, especially the hassle of dealing with insurers as well as everything else, at the end of the day, car parts can be replaced can’t they, people can’t, the cars done it’s job to protect its occupants.

I’m interested to hear more about what happened afterwards with the onboard systems if you wouldn’t mind sharing? I take it the car in effect self reported the accident automatically? Did it need any driver input at all? Could the car still be driven to a position of safety if needed or does it go full crash mode and prevent anything being operated?

Many thanks.
It was a bit surreal really. There was a huge bang and jolt forward and I initially thought something had gone wrong with the electric motor! The seat belt tightened and stopped me flying into the windscreen, it's loose now so the pre-tensioner fired. I thought they were linked to the airbags but obviously not.

The car put the hazards on and then auto dialled the emergency assist and I spoke to a lady who knew my position and the fact the car had been involved in a rear end collision.

The iDrive flashed up a number of warnings:

- Collision detected, drive with care
- Rear PDC not functioning
- Contact your service partner, collision detected
- Driver safety systems may not be active

There was also something about the drivers seatbelt but I can't remember what.

I was able to drive the car to a side road, safely out of the way from the main road traffic. It's also worth noting that the electric motor didn't lock up, which the recovery chap said happens more often than not with EV's in crash situations. This, in his words 'creates a nightmare to get them loaded onto the flatbed'

The car did its job and kept me (and the dogs in the boot) safe. Thankfully the boys were still at school. Within 20 mins of this all happening BMW Assist had sorted the recovery truck, 40 mins later the hire car company called and the car was at the dealer a little later.

I've used Sytner Drive (accident management) as they sort out like for like loans cars and deal with the insurance company. It's takes quite a lot of the hassle out of it. I used it for when my wife's 3 series got rear ended a few years ago and they were very good.

Just need to get my head round it all now (stupid I know and 1st world issues) but my car induced OCD will drive me mad when I get it back, blaming problems either real or imaginary on it not being fixed properly or still damaged I know it's only a bit of metal at the end of the day, but it ferries the family around all over the place and I need to have faith in it. I'm sure some of you folks know what I mean

As a side issue I've got to think about the accident damage (even if repaired by the main dealer) and the affect on its resale value. If you do a check on the car it will now be flagged as damaged and repaired. Not sure how to go about that one to be honest! When the wife's car was damaged it was 5 years old, so not much of an issue. The iX3 is only a few months old and when resale time comes and it is checked it will flag up. Has anyone any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Last edited by hollpe; 05-06-2022 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Glad all are ok, like you say metal comes and goes, will be interesting to see what the costs come back as, if there is any damage to the cells it could get pricey quickly, and is there the trained techs to carry out the work?

On the recording of crash damage for resale, it only gets recorded if it's a write off, in which case they'd either pay you off or source a replacement.

If there is any chassis damage, that would worry me after repair, however if it's just panel that often gets repaired just fine based on my experience.

Did the drive recorder capture the crash?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:51 AM   #7
bilbabon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ix3

would be nice to know also what was the speed of other car and how it looked like because iX3 acted very good imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:20 AM   #8
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer-s View Post
Glad all are ok, like you say metal comes and goes, will be interesting to see what the costs come back as, if there is any damage to the cells it could get pricey quickly, and is there the trained techs to carry out the work?

On the recording of crash damage for resale, it only gets recorded if it's a write off, in which case they'd either pay you off or source a replacement.

If there is any chassis damage, that would worry me after repair, however if it's just panel that often gets repaired just fine based on my experience.

Did the drive recorder capture the crash?
Thanks for that info. I wasn't sure how the crash damage reporting works on things like car vertical reports. Unfortunately the non Pro M Sports don't have the drive recorder. Something which would have been very very useful in these circumstances!

I know the dealer quite well and one of my mate's runs their bodyshop so I'll get the warts and all report of the damage. Which will either be peace of mind it's nothing too serious or not! The Land Rover that hit me was quite high up and must have hit the bottom of the boot and top 2/3 of the bumper. It's hard to see on the pics but the right hand side boot edge is bent pretty much all the way under.

bilbabon - It's hard to know the speed for sure. Between 25 & 30mph I would estimate. The road is a 30mph limit and I was stationary. The bumper / rear crash bar will have done it's job and the fact I was shunted forward will have taken some of the force out of the impact I guess.

My neck and traps are very sore and stiff this morning, but not as bad as I was expecting. Back in my youth (many years ago), my one and only 'at fault' accident was flipping an XR3i onto its roof on a country lane, after running out of talent in a big way! I was in agony for weeks after that!

Last edited by hollpe; 05-07-2022 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 04:32 AM   #9
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Hi, get in touch if you'd like, I know a repair shop that might have the bumper in stock. Long story short - I needed my rear lower bumper replaced and we placed a double order to bmw for the bumpers so there's a chance the repair shop still has it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 04:41 AM   #10
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to add, I'm sorry that this has happened to you. When I had my crash in my 2 month old iX3 I immediately had it valued at we buy and car and the value has gone down nearly 50% given that there's been an accident, so I decided that It's a keeper which actually gave me a piece of relief as I don't have to worry about mileage and all that plus it's an amazing car and I definitely wouldn't mind keeping it for as long as it runs. Also, if it's at Sytner or any other BMW approved dealership then you have nothing to worry about, you won't even notice that it's been repaired once it done. Believe me!

I've waited for my car repair for 4 months to be done, so expect a longer wait time and if it comes early you won't be disappointed. Dm me if you'd like more information on this, happy to share.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #11
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Hope your car gets repaired very soon hollpe! Hopefully damage is not too extensive and wait for parts is not that long. As others said main thing is you’re ok
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:53 AM   #12
akeem
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
Just to add, I'm sorry that this has happened to you. When I had my crash in my 2 month old iX3 I immediately had it valued at we buy and car and the value has gone down nearly 50% given that there's been an accident, so I decided that It's a keeper which actually gave me a piece of relief as I don't have to worry about mileage and all that plus it's an amazing car and I definitely wouldn't mind keeping it for as long as it runs. Also, if it's at Sytner or any other BMW approved dealership then you have nothing to worry about, you won't even notice that it's been repaired once it done. Believe me!

I've waited for my car repair for 4 months to be done, so expect a longer wait time and if it comes early you won't be disappointed. Dm me if you'd like more information on this, happy to share.
50%? This is ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:04 AM   #13
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Well, today has not been a good day!

Whilst popping out at lunchtime someone smashed into the rear of the iX3. I was stationary at the time, waiting to pass a horse box that had pulled up at the side of the road. A Landrover discovery for some reason didn't see me, slammed into the back of my car, shunting it forward about 6 metres (doesn't sound a lot, but the parking brake was on). The drivers side seat belt pretensioner went off as well.

I've attached a picture below. The damage is:

The boot lid is bent under on the outside edge, the bumper has crumpled on impact and then reshaped slightly, the boot trim inside has shunted forward. It doesn't look too bad from the pictures, but it's a bit of a mess underneath that.

The bloke driving was very upset and apologetic and handed his details over etc. The car called the BMW assist automatically very shortly after the accident who arranged the recovery etc. That was all very slick to be fair, they knew where the car was and that it had been in a rear end collision!

It's been recovered to the dealer and they called me earlier to say that there is currently an issue with parts availability and the car maybe off the road for sometime!

To be honest I'm absolutely pi$$ed this has happened. How someone can not see a car stopped with brake lights on behind a horse box which parked loading a horse from a field I'll never know!

Depending on what damage they find underneath, I'm not sure if I want to keep the car now. Who knows what damage it might have done to the electric motor, battery etc that isn't immediately obvious. That is one of the downside to EV's I guess.

Not a great start to the weekend
Gutted to hear about this, hope you get your awesome car back on the road soon. Main thing is that nobody was hurt.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #14
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Some good news today! The dealer has stripped the backend and thankfully there is no structural damage or to any of the panels behind the bumper. The bumper and bumper carrier / crash bar did its job and absorbed the impact along with the lip of the boot lid. The towbar took a whack as well so that is being replaced.

The main issue now is getting the parts! They are going to send me a copy of the parts list so I'll update this thread with the info if anyone is interested!

Cosmetic damage to one side, it seems to have held up pretty well to the impact and the bits that were supposed to crumple have done their job!
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2022, 04:27 AM   #15
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Some good news today! The dealer has stripped the backend and thankfully there is no structural damage or to any of the panels behind the bumper. The bumper and bumper carrier / crash bar did its job and absorbed the impact along with the lip of the boot lid. The towbar took a whack as well so that is being replaced.

The main issue now is getting the parts! They are going to send me a copy of the parts list so I'll update this thread with the info if anyone is interested!

Cosmetic damage to one side, it seems to have held up pretty well to the impact and the bits that were supposed to crumple have done their job!
I remember many years ago I was taken from behind whilst doing around 65 in the outside land of a motorway, dont know what speed this guy was doing but he pushed me so hard the car lost all control and bounced into the lorry that was in the middle lane, bounced around for a bit and I am sitting there saying to myself "This car is holding up well considering", not sure how I stayed so calm, but the car crumpled and did what it had to do to save my life.

oh and the guy who went into me, claimed he blacked out at the wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:33 AM   #16
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
oh and the guy who went into me, claimed he blacked out at the wheel
Generally not a great defence. They often take your licence away following an episode like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #17
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Generally not a great defence. They often take your licence away following an episode like that.
Yes, probably some bloke down the pub told him to go down that route, two weeks later he changed his mind and didn't claim that anymore, but due to him saying he blacked out meant the hire car was taken from me and I had to make my own arrangements, it was all very painful as was my neck
Appreciate 0