BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2022, 02:30 PM   #111
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
Guys, where are you seeing this option? Is this in the BMW phone app? I have updated it and it does not offer this option.
Yes, go to the MyBMW -> Map -> Choose an HPC (some folk say with DC it works too) -> send to my BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:19 AM   #112
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Guys, where are you seeing this option? Is this in the BMW phone app? I have updated it and it does not offer this option.
As stated in the other post, it pops up when you send a charger as a destination from the phone app.

It happens on some DC and HPC chargers, but not others. Filter the map view to BMW Charging and High Speed, and try clicking a few and sending them to your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 05:54 AM   #113
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Tested this today, and it's fair to say it didn't make a noticeable difference to my charging.

There was no indication in the car that anything was happening during the supposed pre-warming either on the infotainment screen or on the energy usage so I'd suggest it is an app feature, not a car feature at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #114
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR35 View Post
Tested this today, and it's fair to say it didn't make a noticeable difference to my charging.

There was no indication in the car that anything was happening during the supposed pre-warming either on the infotainment screen or on the energy usage so I'd suggest it is an app feature, not a car feature at the moment!
Agree, indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #115
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Although with the lovely warm weather in the U.K. today, preheating probably wouldn’t make a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #116
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Many thanks for that. Since I have had the car from September 2021 I have charged at 50 KW/h chargers when out an about. I have found at the start the charge rate is slow around 35 Kw/h but after about 10-15 minutes it hits around 47-48 KW/h for the best part of charge but once it hits 80% it slows down to almost 4KW/h for the final 5% of the charge, (100%) In February I went down to Harlow and used the BP Pulse 150KW/h chargers and found that it hit max around 90KW/h. Never reached the peak and to be honest I had driven around 125 miles and so the batteries should have been warm. Several other times have charged again at BP pulse chargers and again never seen above 90 KW/h. So don't know. But it was in February and it was cold. if this app works for the Pre LCI models that would be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #117
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Quote:
Although with the lovely warm weather in the U.K. today, preheating probably wouldn’t make a huge difference.
Nothing balmy about first thing in Surrey, was around 5 degrees when I tried charging!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 01:27 PM   #118
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

We're away in Scotland this weekend and headed up late last night. The charging stop was at Gretna services on the Ionity chargers.

It's the first time I used one that will charge at 150kwh. I was on about 18%.charge when we arrived. It charged between 147-150kwh until around 60%, then dropped to 90kwh and stayed there until I disconnected at 80% charge.

I let the Nav select the charging stop so I'm guessing the preheating kicked in automatically. It didn't prompt me to switch it on, as it did previously though
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-14-2022, 04:57 AM   #119
svrwater
Registered
Rep
Drives: btw ix3

The last days the temperature dropped to around or below zero, and when charging with my iX3 pre LCI at an HPC charger I experienced also very low charging speeds: between 18 and 24 KW/H for at least 10 minutes and after that slowly ramping up speed.

And i still can't find the preheating option in the car or app (like i had in my 2 previous Tesla's).

Does anyone know if there is an update or work around on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 12:43 AM   #120
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrwater View Post
The last days the temperature dropped to around or below zero, and when charging with my iX3 pre LCI at an HPC charger I experienced also very low charging speeds: between 18 and 24 KW/H for at least 10 minutes and after that slowly ramping up speed.

And i still can't find the preheating option in the car or app (like i had in my 2 previous Tesla's).

Does anyone know if there is an update or work around on this issue?
I’m afraid to say that you are out of luck on this mate. Pre LCI models mostly do not have pre-heating (some very late ones did).

I’m in the same boat and complained to BMW as I felt mis-led - the adverts for BMW fast charging never mention that low temperature will cold gate the charging process. It’s also a known issue as pre-heating was included in later models. You can guess how far my complaints got, still waiting for a reply 10 months on…..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 11:58 AM   #121
Birsey68
Rep
Drives: ix3

Reading this thread and not sure if it relates to my issue but you guys sound knowledgeable and may be able to help or tell me to start a new thread.
My IX3 71 plate in the UK won’t charge above 46 kw on any charger. This figure doesn’t change…always 46. People on adjacent chargers are in the 100plus bracket and I’ have envy. It has previously charged a lot higher. . I’ve contacted BMW direct and not found anyone to talk to who has any interest in helping me. Any ideas?
Best Wishes
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #122
Bevforme
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX50 Aug '22 build

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [10.00]
Quote:
Many thanks for that. Since I have had the car from September 2021 I have charged at 50 KW/h chargers when out an about. I have found at the start the charge rate is slow around 35 Kw/h but after about 10-15 minutes it hits around 47-48 KW/h for the best part of charge but once it hits 80% it slows down to almost 4KW/h for the final 5% of the charge, (100%) In February I went down to Harlow and used the BP Pulse 150KW/h chargers and found that it hit max around 90KW/h. Never reached the peak and to be honest I had driven around 125 miles and so the batteries should have been warm. Several other times have charged again at BP pulse chargers and again never seen above 90 KW/h. So don't know. But it was in February and it was cold. if this app works for the Pre LCI models that would be good.
The stated 150kw on chargers is often for 800v cars not 400v cars. So 90kw probably about right for a 400v car. This is not made clear and is a bit smoke’n’mirrors by the providers. The Devils is in the detail and the small print…
Appreciate 0