BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #287
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

thats weird i never heard of people paying to update their idrives?

so SA at BMW dealerships are asking clients to pay for an update and the car is under manufacturers warranty?
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #288
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bSwiazzy View Post
thats weird i never heard of people paying to update their idrives?

so SA at BMW dealerships are asking clients to pay for an update and the car is under manufacturers warranty?
Go back and read the thread - it provides info on what the update is. It's not an idrive update.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 01:13 AM   #289
Klazu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
How do we know there will be an update in 30 days?
That's what I am asking, if there is a precedent of these releases being made available quarterly? Most software releases follow a pre-defined schedule and I wouldn't be surprised to learn there being a new update every three months...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 06:03 AM   #290
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser123 View Post
Which dealership? I am going to the downtown Toronto one... Also, do you happen to have a copy of the work order to show the update done (obviously redacted for personal info)? That would be EXTREMELY helpful to me and others trying to get some of these shops to do their job...
Not going to copy and edit, but here is verbatim what my work order states (I indicated upfront I wanted to pay for it so zero discussion was held about whether it would be done, just when):

"LABOR....
J# 1 10BMZ Driveability
C/S: Cust requests ISTA Update to vehicle"

To find the current ISTA platform for your car, Barrancos shared this how to: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=58

For what our data looked like, and other posts I shared in this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=60
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=68
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=71

Hope this info helps - good luck with your Svc team
Appreciate 1
ando2002.00
      06-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #291
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
who said that after software update, engine is not increasing rpms to warm up catalytics? I still have this shit going on. sitting on parking lot waiting for my wife from store and it raising up rpms to 900 for like 5,6 mins. then drops again. the most weirdest thing I've ever seen. useless at all points. just annoying for everyone.
does everyone has same raising of rpms? anybody knows how we can turn off this feature?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #292
xaser123
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Not going to copy and edit, but here is verbatim what my work order states (I indicated upfront I wanted to pay for it so zero discussion was held about whether it would be done, just when):

"LABOR....
J# 1 10BMZ Driveability
C/S: Cust requests ISTA Update to vehicle"

To find the current ISTA platform for your car, Barrancos shared this how to: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=58

For what our data looked like, and other posts I shared in this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=60
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=68
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=71

Hope this info helps - good luck with your Svc team
Thank you!! I'll report back when my dealer gets back to me on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 12:53 AM   #293
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Finally had the 2021 ISTA software release update done on my 2020 X4M which was previously on the 03/2020 release.

All sorts of goodies to be honest:

1) Suspension dampening is more compliant in all modes, not just comfort. Sport Plus is vastly improved around town. Amazing improvement worth paying for the upgrade for this point alone. Great to see them squeeze as much comfort as possible out of the same hardware using software mapping params. They seem to have gotten the message that most people found the ride too "busy" in all suspension modes before.
2) Engine mapping.. and throttle mapping are improved. Efficiency mode feels smoother ALL around, throttle is less jumpy, power delivery is smoother and less intimidating (great when my wife drives the car). Sport mode... so far feels the same, haven't really driven it enough to see a big difference there... but I did spend about 5 minutes in Sport Plus with the engine warmed up properly in a dead, smooth part of town... oh my, feels like she gained 15-20hp. Sharper response, increased power or torque, or something... and the up shifts just snap like a whip when pushed to the limit. Overall, exactly what I wanted to see... smoother, more toned down comfort mode... more intense sport plus.
3) car play.. just works, period
4) audio sounds better in my HK system... not sure why, but it does.... maybe different default equalizer params? Anyone else notice this?
5) I "THINK" the gauge cluster dimming is slightly improved... it wasn't 100% bring in today's overcast, but I remember having trouble reading the screens in similar weather before and now it was... ok at least.
6) Transmission still jumps for me here and there, but no aggressive THUD.. yet.
7) high RPM on cold start... still there.. 1200-1400 rpm for a good 60 seconds on a cold engine.
8) iDrive is a little snappier.. for sure.
9) Steering.... is just great in my opinion. Different.. but like the suspension and engine mapping/throttle response... it just seems more refined. Easier in comfort, sharper in sport/sport+

Last edited by spucktacular; 06-04-2021 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      06-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #294
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I requested the update as part of my service tomorrow. Along with oil change. We’ll see what happens. I’m not holding my breath.

2020 X3M on 3/2020 ISTA/iStep
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #295
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
I requested the update as part of my service tomorrow. Along with oil change. We’ll see what happens. I’m not holding my breath.

Really wish it wasn't a hassle to get it updated especially since we're still under warranty. But keep us posted on what the dealership says.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:04 PM   #296
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:

Tell them you are having trouble with CarPlay disconnecting randomly, and needing to disconnect and reconnect the mobile device multiple times per week to get CarPlay working.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #297
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Had my service performed. I got the software update, haven’t driven yet.

I did notice myBMW app is t updates in a while. Does the software update reset profiles??
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #298
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Had my service performed. I got the software update, haven't driven yet.

I did notice myBMW app is t updates in a while. Does the software update reset profiles??
It does not delete profiles but it resets all the settings within the profile.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #299
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

Quote:
Had my service performed. I got the software update, haven’t driven yet.

I had to delete the car and readd for it to resync again in the app
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:02 AM   #300
xaser123
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Finally had the 2021 ISTA software release update done on my 2020 X4M which was previously on the 03/2020 release.

All sorts of goodies to be honest:

1) Suspension dampening is more compliant in all modes, not just comfort. Sport Plus is vastly improved around town. Amazing improvement worth paying for the upgrade for this point alone. Great to see them squeeze as much comfort as possible out of the same hardware using software mapping params. They seem to have gotten the message that most people found the ride too "busy" in all suspension modes before.
2) Engine mapping.. and throttle mapping are improved. Efficiency mode feels smoother ALL around, throttle is less jumpy, power delivery is smoother and less intimidating (great when my wife drives the car). Sport mode... so far feels the same, haven't really driven it enough to see a big difference there... but I did spend about 5 minutes in Sport Plus with the engine warmed up properly in a dead, smooth part of town... oh my, feels like she gained 15-20hp. Sharper response, increased power or torque, or something... and the up shifts just snap like a whip when pushed to the limit. Overall, exactly what I wanted to see... smoother, more toned down comfort mode... more intense sport plus.
3) car play.. just works, period
4) audio sounds better in my HK system... not sure why, but it does.... maybe different default equalizer params? Anyone else notice this?
5) I "THINK" the gauge cluster dimming is slightly improved... it wasn't 100% bring in today's overcast, but I remember having trouble reading the screens in similar weather before and now it was... ok at least.
6) Transmission still jumps for me here and there, but no aggressive THUD.. yet.
7) high RPM on cold start... still there.. 1200-1400 rpm for a good 60 seconds on a cold engine.
8) iDrive is a little snappier.. for sure.
9) Steering.... is just great in my opinion. Different.. but like the suspension and engine mapping/throttle response... it just seems more refined. Easier in comfort, sharper in sport/sport+

Thank you for sharing!

To be clear, did your Imprint date move from March 2020? My dealer is telling me that Imprint and ISTA are two different things and my ISTA was updated despite the Imprint being still March 2020. When I export the driver profile on a USB though, the I-Step does read "S15A-21-03-550" so I think that it was updated despite the Imprint still showing March 2019? The ride is rough, but getting smoother now that I have about 1k km on it...

Last edited by xaser123; 06-08-2021 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #301
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser123 View Post
Thank you for sharing!

To be clear, did your Imprint date move from March 2020? My dealer is telling me that Imprint and ISTA are two different things and my ISTA was updated despite the Imprint being still March 2020. When I export the driver profile on a USB though, the I-Step does read "S15A-21-03-550" so I think that it was updated despite the Imprint still showing March 2019? The ride is rough, but getting smoother now that I have about 1k km on it...
Crap I don't know, I did that USB download thing once and it was March 2020 ISTEP, my car being a Feb 2020 build, delivered in May. But since getting the car back I haven't checked the version to confirm but I can certainly feel the changes in the suspension, throttle and engine mapping, electric steering, even the stupid dimm display doesn't seem as dimm as it used to be (though not perfect).. and then all my bimmercode changes were gone, my euro style anti-dazzle lights were back to north american spec with orange turn indicators, carplay down to half screen (though I easily fixed it with bimmercode)...

so yeah, ALL of my car modules have been updated and I've feeling differences in the drive experience... not sure what the imprint version even is to be honest, but the car is much sweeter!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #302
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Then report the Dealership to BMW NA.

Having briefly reviewed the issues you discuss on different sub-Forums spanning 10 years, seems many of the problems resulted from wanting them for free or if the vehicle was tuned or modified against warranty provisions, and being denied when different scenarios were raised which didn't pass the bar.

My research was cursory so I could be wrong on that perception, but really, this is no different than asking to pay for an oil service. Someone owns a BMW. That BMW has a BMW-sanctioned firmware/software update available which provides what BMW's Engineers deem as important improvements to their vehicles' systems-wide code. Individual goes to BMW Dealership's Svc Ctr and states here is my check/credit card/cash. Do it.

If the SA gives a hassle, speak to the Chief Technician, if he/she gives a hassle, speak to the Svc Manager. If the Svc Manager gives a hassle, speak to the General Mgr. If the Gen Mgr gives a hassle, speak to BMW NA and ask why they even came out with the update if someone can't purchase it, and report the Dealership to them.

Still suspect most of the issues you describe surround those wanting it for free or with confounding variables. This isn't difficult to accomplish.
I had my car at the dealership for 2 days. They found no updates.

I then contacted BMW Consumer Relations. Asked about any updates and what are the costs?
I was told as long as the car is under warranty all updates are free of charge. Nav. iDrive. Software etc.

Then they checked my VIN and and said no updates were available. Because they just checked the idrive update not the Imprint/Istep update.

How do you suggest I go about escalating this further? I dont care about paying for it, when clearly it is a free service from BMW.

But my concern is having a competent person to speak to that can assist.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #303
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll reiterate a point I've made throughout this thread - if you go in and ask for a "software" update, you are going to have a tougher time, because they will automatically shift their focus to iDrive and other minor level updates. The verbiage is important - say that you want to be updated to the latest istep (or ISTA) LEVEL. As a technical point, this update is not really a "software" update anyway, it's more of a hardware update, like reformatting a computer and installing a fresh version of the OS.

If you're already down that road, you need to be a little more forceful with them. They likely know what you are asking them to do but are deflecting.
Appreciate 1
suby012314.00
      06-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #304
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
I had my car at the dealership for 2 days. They found no updates. I then contacted BMW Consumer Relations. Asked about any updates and what are the costs? I was told as long as the car is under warranty all updates are free of charge. Nav. iDrive. Software etc. Then they checked my VIN and and said no updates were available. Because they just checked the idrive update not the Imprint/Istep update. How do you suggest I go about escalating this further? I dont care about paying for it, when clearly it is a free service from BMW. But my concern is having a competent person to speak to that can assist.
Please review my recent post: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=291

Simply: identify your current <i-step> version first; if it isn't some version of ...21-03... then you aren't current with what we've been discussing these past few months (for all I know, there is an even later one if they come out quarterly ); if not current to at least the Mar '21 version which OP indicated had the most improvements, then specifically request an ISTA update as I did and share what your version is vs what the current one is (that is my post #60 link); posts #68 and #71 explain my perceptional basis for demanding such.

Again - if there is quibbling about whether it is going to be free or not, one is on their own. If you indicate you are willing to pay the $180 and they don't, see links to 68 and 71 as to what my response would've been.

What is your current version?
Appreciate 1
suby012314.00
      06-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #305
suby01
United_States
Rep

I am at the dealership now. There is a new one that opened locally in CT. Service tech. And manager were very engaged. Asked all the questions about what the update is about. I literally showed them this forum. And my Imprint from the Driver guide app.
Pending an response. See if they are able find the actual software to update.
If yes. I will be happy to share my notes with others who have such a hard time just getting this done. Free or not.

After 3.5 hours we have success.
The tech came out to get me and wanted me to check the in the car myself if I can see if it was updated or not.
First thing I noticed was the M Lap Timer app, and the BMW Connected app icon in the my apps was now My BMW. I checked my Imprint and yes. 3/21.

I also had the Alexa option show Not Supported in the MY BMW app. Now it said Connect.

I was at 7/20 and after 3 dealerships and calls to BMW Consumer Relations 1 simple care from a tech took care of it all.

I asked him why he was able to update it and not others. He said because other techs are lazy nothing more nothing less.

He mentioned that he had no idea what Imprint was, or how to force update the car. Since the VIN showed no updates available for any type of software.

He had to call the master tech support line and they guided him step by step, as well as he said he literally watched a tutorial video from BMW about it.

He joked that I know more than the entire BMW dealership. But I said this is what I focus on. This forum and BMW CCA have great information.

My cost was $0. He said all updates are covered under warranty, and nobody should charge for it.

PSA for everyone else that is having the issue. I was very clear that I wanted an Istep and Imprint version update. I did not have Alexa or the M Lap Timer option. It did take a 3rd dealership to actually listen .
I have the notes from the tech also. I wont post them here publicly, but if anyone wants them I can share them.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #306
Klazu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Damn, that's some really good customer service by the third dealership. You should provide some super positive feedback on the individual when you get the service survey.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #307
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

Quote:
I am at the dealership now. There is a new one that opened locally in CT. Service tech. And manager were very engaged. Asked all the questions about what the update is about. I literally showed them this forum. And my Imprint from the Driver guide app.
Pending an response. See if they are able find the actual software to update.
If yes. I will be happy to share my notes with others who have such a hard time just getting this done. Free or not.

After 3.5 hours we have success.
The tech came out to get me and wanted me to check the in the car myself if I can see if it was updated or not.
First thing I noticed was the M Lap Timer app, and the BMW Connected app icon in the my apps was now My BMW. I checked my Imprint and yes. 3/21.

I also had the Alexa option show Not Supported in the MY BMW app. Now it said Connect.

I was at 7/20 and after 3 dealerships and calls to BMW Consumer Relations 1 simple care from a tech took care of it all.

I asked him why he was able to update it and not others. He said because other techs are lazy nothing more nothing less.

He mentioned that he had no idea what Imprint was, or how to force update the car. Since the VIN showed no updates available for any type of software.

He had to call the master tech support line and they guided him step by step, as well as he said he literally watched a tutorial video from BMW about it.

He joked that I know more than the entire BMW dealership. But I said this is what I focus on. This forum and BMW CCA have great information.

My cost was $0. He said all updates are covered under warranty, and nobody should charge for it.

PSA for everyone else that is having the issue. I was very clear that I wanted an Istep and Imprint version update. I did not have Alexa or the M Lap Timer option. It did take a 3rd dealership to actually listen .
I have the notes from the tech also. I wont post them here publicly, but if anyone wants them I can share them.
I still don't have the Alexa option and I have the March update … was told it wasn't coming to the US till July .. does it work?
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #308
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Damn, that's some really good customer service by the third dealership. You should provide some super positive feedback on the individual when you get the service survey.
Absolutely. I already told everyone at the dealership that the technician needs a raise as well as the service advisor. For writing DO NOT WASH in all caps on every page of the service order and highlighting it. Meanwhile I tell other dealerships to please not wash my cars, as I got an alert for movement and walked outside to see it being pulled into the scratchy scratch.

It's so easy to complain and thats what I did because I was exhausted. Even the 1st BMW Consumer Relations rep said. Your VIN does not support M Lap Timer and Alexa if the My BMW app is not able to connect. Meanwhile the were completely incorrect. The escalation manager which called me back said that as long as I have iDrive 7 the car should be compatible.

But when someone addresses my concerns properly and efficiently I don't just accept it. I will write to BMW as well to mention this entire experience and how 1 dealership went above and beyond.
Appreciate 0