BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #1
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i AW/TacRed

Garage List
Connected Drive Profile

So I'm setting up my new x3 and I was able to add my connected drive profile via the BMW app no problem. I then proceeded to add a second profile for my wife as a condition of purchase I had to agree to part time driving privileges Apparently you can only have "exactly one" connected drive profile associated per vehicle according to the error message as I tried to sync.

It's not an improvement imo for my use case. When you navigate to profiles section the only way to add "new" is with a connected drive password or qr barcode. (See error above). I had to setup the wife's settings as "guest". No cool avatar or cheesy greeting during the splash page startup. My 2017 G30 allows you to add multiple driver profiles that are married to the key fob that is used to unlock.

Anyway just sharing the observation and dependency on a connected drive account/profile.

BTW.. there are several "digital key" screens and language as you navigate setup even though digital key was deleted on my build…
      05-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Thats not true. You are not setting it up correctly.
You need to add her profile under yours. Then she needs to create her own individual account separately and link those. 2 keys. 2 separate idrive profiles.
      05-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
You need to add her profile under yours. Then she needs to create her own individual account separately and link those. 2 keys. 2 separate idrive profiles.
Ok thanks for the correction !! I used the google machine and understand my error now… thanks!!!!
      05-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdom View Post
Quote:
Ok thanks for the correction !! I used the google machine and understand my error now… thanks!!!!
Update this does not work! You cannot have a car exist in "my garage" on more than one phone at the same time.

I found this post with a work around but this seems like a design flaw. Does anyone know of a way of doing this by adding a sub-account or linking two accounts?
      05-17-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is the post

This is a subject I am in discussion with BMW and my dealer (ongoing!!)

You will find that you can set the car up while in it with one set of keys and it will save to that set on locking the car. Get into the car with other set and set that up, say for wife/husband, and on locking the car that set up will be set to that set of keys. So far so good.

However, profiles are a whole different set of problems. To set a profile that can be taken to other BMWs that are compatible or to have a "profile" that welcomes you to the car with your settings etc you have to make an account on "connected drive". either on a computer or download the app,and once you have done this it will require you to input the last 7 digits on the car VIN and on doing this a code is sent to the car that you have to input to confirm the car and tie the account to the app/web page (app is easier). So far so good.

If you want a second profile (and the manual says you can have 3 + guest for a total of 4) then your other person, wife in my case, has to also download the app and register in the same way as the first profile. Now heres the kicker, in doing so the car will be removed from the first profiles "garage" in the app. You can NOT have the car in the "garage" of 2 separate accounts and therefore can not save the profiles in the BMW cloud unless the car is in YOU apps "garage"!

The other problem is actually getting the car to show "Welcome Husband" or "welcome Wife" (insert name instead of wife/husband) when you enter the car after setting us a profile. The way to do this is that when you set the 2nd profile by creating an account on the app that person must sit in the car and add a driver profile in the car screens. Once done you will see 2 profiles and a guest one in the profile screens on the car. THEN (nearly there) you get the first profile to log into the app and input the last 7 digits of the VIN into there app again and the car will again come into their apps "garage" and will be removed from the second persons. Once done the second profile logs in on there app using the FIRST persons app log in details and in that way BOTH profiles can use the app to locate the car turn lights on/off etc.

The ACTUAL settings for each "profile" are stored on each key as you lock/unlock the car with an "image" of these settings held in the connected drive account. This does mean that any alterations to settings by the second set of keys/profile will NOT be updated to the cloud as they are not logged into THEIR app account.

Hope this make sense as it comes after 3 days of trying to do this as per the handbook with zero results including having the BMW "genius" from my dealer here for over 3 hours trying to sort it and in the end it was ME who sorted out this patch way of doing it.

BMW "connected Drive" itself stated that you cant have 2 profiles at all due to "security"...then I pointed out their own handbook and "how to" video and they clammed up and tried to sell me digikeys at £69 a year!!
      05-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #6
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
You first need to contact Connected drive customer service to have your wife added to your profile. Then you will be able to create an account for her and login to the app. From there she will also be able to add the car to her account and link to the car (if done this way it won't remove the car from your profile)
Appreciate 1
misterdom335.00
      05-17-2022, 09:56 PM   #7
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Just call your BMW Genius. I dont remember the steps but its not hard. They literally instruct to login both show you how to link it.
      05-18-2022, 06:29 AM   #8
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just call your BMW Genius. I dont remember the steps but its not hard. They literally instruct to login both show you how to link it.
Thanks I've opened a case with them. They said it takes 7-10 days to complete the task of adding her to my account. I'm glad I don't have to go through the pain of those steps of adding and removing cars from my profile.