BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
Brake pedal vibration when stationary, anyone else?

So my dad's x3 vibrates FROM the brake pedal when stationary, while in gear D, this started happening recently, it's noticeable.

Not a HUGE vibration but it's there and I can feel it through my foot while I have my leg resting on the brake pedal.

I also can feel/hear the engine vibrate and try to go back to normal but it isn't (normal as in, no vibration).

This happens when it's cold outside, like really cold; -12c (10F).

When it's warm, I still feel the vibration through the brake pedal but not as much when it's really cold outside.

I'm wondering if anyone else notices slight vibration coming from their x3 brake pedal while waiting at a red light? I'm a super aware person so I always feel vibrations; I have a great sense of feel/touch I would say so I'm picking this vibration from the brake pedal easily. Gift and a curse!

No engine light so I don't know what it is. No mods or tunes. At 137,000KM.

Let me know if anyone else feels slight vibrations from the brake pedal when in gear and while stationary.
      01-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #2
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
It might be a engine temperature thing.

The reason I say this is because I left the x3 on start while waiting for my food to be ready at a local bakery and when I got back in the x3, shifted into D, while leg on brake, I noticed the vibration went down a tad bit, like it's still there, I can feel a slight vibration and I strongly believe it's coming from the engine bay.

I am 100% sure it's not engine/transmission mounts, and it's certainly not the brakes, as this vibration is only felt while being in gear D and while being stationary at a red light or in heavy traffic.

To be honest, all cars (automatic or manual) give out a slight vibration through the brake pedal while sitting at a light or heavy traffic.

I want you guys to check this out using your own x3 or any other vehicle and notice if you guys can feel any vibration from the brake pedal while stationary.

It's a slight vibration. I'm not talking Mis-fire vibration or anything like that. It's simply a rhythmic engine vibration being felt by pressing the brake pedal (BUT only in gear D and while being stationary).

When I drive the x3, there's no vibration at all. Only when I come to a full stop, I can feel a vibration come from the brake pedal.

It's a lot more noticeable when the engine is cold and during cold start drives while bringing the engine heat up by driving.

So if anyone can check when they drive next time and come to a stop, while in gear D, any vibrations from your brake pedal?

There's no CEL's so I doubt there's anything wrong but still… when my dad got this x3 at 50k km's, there wasn't any vibration. Or nothing I was aware of at that time.

You see, awareness is another thing that plays a part in figuring out what's wrong or if there's actually anything wrong… anyways. Thanks for reading. I hope for some feedback at this point.
      01-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

This might just be that the engine idles a bit rough when the car is cold/very cold - most engines do that to one degree or another, and not unusual to feel some vibration in the cabin.

I've never noticed the pedal vibration you've indicated in my car, even if I'm driving in sub-freezing temperatures. Car as 103k miles on the clock.

You could try engaging the 'auto-hold' function, when you come to a stop that will auto-engage the rear brakes to hold the car - then see if you feel vibration thru the pedal or elsewhere, like steering wheel, etc.

Motor mounts are generally good to at least 100K or much more miles, so unless you car has a LOT of miles I'd not thinking the mounts are the issue.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

My x3 has some sort of vibration/resonance when I put it in Reverse, only after a cold start, then it goes away. Nothing in D though, no vibration is felt through the brake pedal.

Maybe check the engine mounts/transmission mount.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
This might just be that the engine idles a bit rough when the car is cold/very cold - most engines do that to one degree or another, and not unusual to feel some vibration in the cabin.

I've never noticed the pedal vibration you've indicated in my car, even if I'm driving in sub-freezing temperatures. Car as 103k miles on the clock.

You could try engaging the 'auto-hold' function, when you come to a stop that will auto-engage the rear brakes to hold the car - then see if you feel vibration thru the pedal or elsewhere, like steering wheel, etc.

Motor mounts are generally good to at least 100K or much more miles, so unless you car has a LOT of miles I'd not thinking the mounts are the issue.
I'm starting to think it's because of the cold.
When I say brake pedal vibration, I don't mean like a iPhone vibration or a gaming console controller vibration.

It's more of a rhythm… it's like if something was inside of your shoe and you felt something moving… it's a very, very minor vibration that can be felt. Through the brake pedal, through the driver side floor where the mats are.

Auto-hold checked and it still vibrates (very slightly) through the floor mats area. Again, very minor vibration. Only reason I'm concerned is because when my dad got this x3 in 2019, there wasn't any vibration while idling or at a red light, having the brake pedal pressed.

There's no vibration coming from the steering wheel or anywhere else. The engine runs and sounds OK. I replaced spark plugs last month and engine oil has been replaced too.

I'm thinking it's because of the cold weather. No CEL so I shouldn't be too worried.

I will continue to drive my dad's x3 and see what happens. My dad isn't in the country so he can't really see for himself. Once he returns I'll have him feel it and see what he thinks.
      01-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole1980 View Post
My x3 has some sort of vibration/resonance when I put it in Reverse, only after a cold start, then it goes away. Nothing in D though, no vibration is felt through the brake pedal.

Maybe check the engine mounts/transmission mount.
I tried R gear last night and the vibration is there but very very VERY slightly there. It still vibrates, like I know it's in gear and not in P (I drive 6speed MT cars so I know the difference when a vehicle is in gear or not, just by feeling the car for it's vibration)

So it only happens (vibrates) when I'm in a gear (R or D) in N or P, there's no vibration. So it rules out the tranny/motor mounts.

If it vibrates all the time, it's the mounts, but since it's only in gear, it's not the mounts.

Since your x3 is a Diesel, I believe vibrations are normal. My dads x3 is a gasoline engine. So it shouldn't vibrate through the brake pedal. Not much, just a tad bit.

I drive/drove a lot of cars and I know each and every car has its own vibration. But the x3's are smooth and shouldn't vibrate through the brake pedal. Not when I'm in a standstill at a red light with my foot on the brake pedal… it's like a pulse feel vibration. Lol. I guess the n20 engine pulse is being felt…

I'll continue to drive it and report back to you guys.

I'm sure if I call BMW dealership. They will say it's normal. Especially if there's no CEL…

Thank you everyone.
      01-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblackx3f25 View Post
So it only happens (vibrates) when I'm in a gear (R or D) in N or P, there's no vibration. So it rules out the tranny/motor mounts.

If it vibrates all the time, it's the mounts, but since it's only in gear, it's not the mounts.
You logic is flawed since while in gear, the motor/trans mounts are loaded, i.e. one side is being compress while the other side is lifting. While in park/neutral all mounts have just the weight of the drivetrain resting on them. I'm not saying your mounts are bad, I'm saying your method to verify them is incorrect. Actually, to test the mounts, while in gear, the brakes are applied with light throttle to see how much the motor/trans lifts on one side, the more worn the mounts, the higher the engine lifts.

While in neutral/park the engine is free wheeling, though while in gear at idle, the engine has a light load on it. It may be that the engine is not running 100% smoothly so while idling in gear, the mild load of the drivetrain on the engine exhibits a slightly rougher idle
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblackx3f25 View Post

You logic is flawed since while in gear, the motor/trans mounts are loaded, i.e. one side is being compress while the other side is lifting. While in park/neutral all mounts have just the weight of the drivetrain resting on them. I'm not saying your mounts are bad, I'm saying your method to verify them is incorrect. Actually, to test the mounts, while in gear, the brakes are applied with light throttle to see how much the motor/trans lifts on one side, the more worn the mounts, the higher the engine lifts.

While in neutral/park the engine is free wheeling, though while in gear at idle, the engine has a light load on it. It may be that the engine is not running 100% smoothly so while idling in gear, the mild load of the drivetrain on the engine exhibits a slightly rougher idle
I knew what I wrote didn't make sense somewhere along the lines.

Thank you for the correction.

I believe it's the engine causing a very mild vibration while idling with the brake applied, while in gear (D).

I'm going to assume it's normal and continue driving the x3 and let my dad know when he gets back from Sri Lanka.

I'm 99.9% sure my dad will say it's normal and that I'm over-reacting…

My dad drives big-rigs (tractor trailer 53ft) in Canada and to the US for almost a decade now so he doesn't really watch these vibrations like I do. I believe he's used to vibrations.

I'll let him deal with it when he gets back. But if anyone else has minor, mild, slight vibrations from the brake pedal while idling in gear D, let me know if you did anything to completely eliminate it.
      07-18-2024, 02:39 PM   #9
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
so this brake pedal vibration went away or I got used to it lol.

Easy way to check is to put the car in Neutral or Park to see if it disappears.
or use the Auto-Hold function.

nothing to be concerned.